Put a "rest" to the backlash on X

Page305

All American
After more thinking and listening to the guys on Caneville(footballville), I agree that we shouldn't bash Restrepo on that punt return play. We were getting our *** kicked, totally imposed. Him being a freshman wr, seeing that the guys ahead of him aren't making plays, YES he had the heart to try to do some magical **** and make an unbelievable play. Was it stupid, YES. But look man, on national tv he said F that! I'M NOT SCARED to take that risk... So yes, keep him at pr and also start him at kr. Pope ain't it y'all. I was so embarrassed for him on 1 return where he took 1000 steps(running straight) and gained 15yrds. Start Redding, Payton, and X NOW!!!!!!!

Advertisement
There's a line between calculated risk and something reckless and stupid. A wet football bouncing around is a bad idea to try and scoop up.
Don't get me wrong... I totally agree. But I actually feel like some players that night just gave up and knew we weren't ready for this monster. So at that point, they had the mindset that the game was over. X showed me he got that FVCK IT in him.

The only **** up was the ball that bounced off of him and went through the endzone. Should not have touched it at all especially where he was on the field. (Dumb *** colts player did it yesterday, Rivers got Sacked for a Safety).
The other play where he picked it up and ran with people around was smart as ****. (If I remember the rules correctly)
He saw the illegal touching, the refs throw the black bean bag and he took a risk. Basically after an illegal touching you can decide to take the ball at that spot (Where it was touched) or return it. It's a rule that is not well known. I happened to see it in some random game I was watching a few years back

Advertisement
The only **** up was the ball that bounced off of him and went through the endzone. Should not have touched it at all especially where he was on the field. (Dumb *** colts player did it yesterday, Rivers got Sacked for a Safety).
The other play where he picked it up and ran with people around was smart as ****. (If I remember the rules correctly)
He saw the illegal touching, the refs throw the black bean bag and he took a risk. Basically after an illegal touching you can decide to take the ball at that spot (Where it was touched) or return it. It's a rule that is not well known. I happened to see it in some random game I was watching a few years back
Yep...this happened in an NFL game a couple weeks ago and Romo pointed out that there's no risk in the PR picking up that ball in that instance.

After more thinking and listening to the guys on Caneville(footballville), I agree that we shouldn't bash Restrepo on that punt return play. We were getting our *** kicked, totally imposed. Him being a freshman wr, seeing that the guys ahead of him aren't making plays, YES he had the heart to try to do some magical **** and make an unbelievable play. Was it stupid, YES. But look man, on national tv he said F that! I'M NOT SCARED to take that risk... So yes, keep him at pr and also start him at kr. Pope ain't it y'all. I was so embarrassed for him on 1 return where he took 1000 steps(running straight) and gained 15yrds. Start Redding, Payton, and X NOW!!!!!!!
And Smith. He might be the fastest of all receivers and can stretch the field. Hope we have a QB that can get the ball to him. But I agree, no more Harley, Pope and Wiggins.

Advertisement
def the rule in the NFL...O.J. McDuffie used to do it all the time.

The second punt return by him was stupid. He went behind the 10 and tried to field it when it was clearly going to be a touchback. The first punt return by Restrepo wasn't dumb, it was within the rules, just rarely happens.

A PUNTED BALL IS TOUCHED BY THE PUNTING TEAM FIRST; IS THE RETURN TEAM ALLOWED TO PICK IT UP AND RUN WITH IT?

In my opinion, this scenario is the rarest scenario that you see in this great game! The K team “first touches” the ball, then the receiving team picks it up and runs with it. I can’t remember the last time I saw this one personally, but it IS allowed!

Rule 6-2-5 states that: If any K player touches a scrimmage kick first (and before the ball has come to rest), R (receiving team) may take the ball at the spot of first touching, or any spot if there is more than one spot of first touching, or they may choose to have the ball put in play as determined by the action which follows first touching. The right of the R to take the ball at the spot of first touching by K is cancelled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul or if the penalty has been accepted for any foul committed during the down.

So, the scenario might be that the punted ball lands on the ground, takes a hard bounce off of a kicking team coverage man, and then your punt returner picks it up before it has come to a rest. That returner can run the football back. It is NOT dead upon first touching. The ball is still live. Since it says that the receiving team can “put the ball in play as determined by the action which follows first touching,” this means you can choose to take the results of the return your returner got OR take the ball at the spot of first touching.

Notice that the choice is cancelled if there is a penalty on the return. This is a GREAT rule to know and to teach your kids because there is NO harm, NO risk for you to pick up the ball and run! If your returner fumbles the ball on his run back, you can STILL maintain possession by choosing to take the “first touching.”

To further clarify this rule, the officials’ “Case Book” states:

6.2.5 Situation A: K1 attempts to down a punt beyond the neutral zone, but his touching only slows it down. The bouncing ball is subsequently recovered by R1, who advances 25 yards but then fumbles and K2 recovers. RULING: R may either take the results of the play or retain possession by taking the ball at the spot of K1’s first touching.

Advertisement
Keep it steady, fellas. If Pope did the dumb **** Restrepo did, you guys would be killing him. Restrepo does it, and he's gutsy.

I'm not going to kill Restrepo or Pope for trying to make plays on PR. But you guys love clamoring for the backup, and when the backup fcks up and makes you look goofy for crying for him for months, you make excuses instead of just saying "Yeah, I guess he wasn't really any better."

I love the kid but that probably wasn't the best decision.
But knowing him, I know where his head was at during that moment.

He was eager to give us a spark.
He just needs to understand risk-vs-reward...and know that he's going to be here for 3/4 years and he'll have plenty of chances to make memorable plays.

Yes, I was actually surprised that he had the knowledge to know about that. Just saying because he's a freshman and it was his first time starting at pr.

Advertisement
I love the kid but that probably wasn't the best decision.
But knowing him, I know where his head was at during that moment.

He was eager to give us a spark.
He just needs to understand risk-vs-reward...and know that he's going to be here for 3/4 years and he'll have plenty of chances to make memorable plays.
You’re making too much sense these days.

Advertisement
Back