Proposal for recruiting gurus

ajkreider

Sophomore
Premium
The Bonitto thread got me thinking about an idea for the recruiting gurus on here (real, so-called, or in ones own mind).

Each person publishes a list of recruits they think we should take. That list:

1. Is updated throughout the year
2. Can be no longer than the number of our available initial counters
3. Includes only those recruits who would reasonably be thought to commit, if they had an offer (is not just a wish list)

Would provide a record that we could look at a couple of years on. See who knows their stuff, and who . . . . doesn't

Anyway, just a thought.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I guess he doesn’t want it to just be a wishlist of the 247 top players at each position but more customized to what we need and who we are in it for.
Yeah. "We should sign Trevor Lawrence" isn't really trying, and "We should sign these 8 WRs" isn't either.

But "we should sign Elijah Moore, but not Hightower" is interesting. Every year, including this year, there are guys that we could sign (and maybe should) but don't because they have committable offers.

Maybe it could be made into a competition of sorts, where the guru who makes the best calls gets an ad-free year or something. Wouldn't know that for a couple of years, of course.

For a novice like myself, I love the idea. I suggest pinning it to the top for easy access and to be easily located. And no doubt it would produce some lively discussion.

Signing a recruiting class is more complex than a hierarchical list. It's not the NCAA 14 video game or Sam Hinkie's nerd dreams...there are human elements to recruiting that make exercises like this pointless.

For example I can say Pat Payton>>>Ishmael but what are the implications of fading the son of a staffer who's a high-rated 4* at a top local program?

Or it's easy to say "I'd take all the local kids I like" after the fact but there's a domino effect to filling up your class early like that. Maybe that costs you OOS studs who take their time with the process, where the risk of recruiting and missing on those kids is a marginal downgrade from one local kid to another late plan B type.

If you're gonna be an armchair recruiting director you have to consider the bigger picture. As for me...I'll stick to posting evals of the recruits I look at.

Advertisement
100 pages of knee jerk, know nothing wannabe arm chair evaluators drowning out the three or four guys who know what they’re talking about?

Sign me up ASAP.

Advertisement
Yeah - and don’t forget to put their grade in parentheses a la the Gayturds (j/k 😂😂)

Advertisement
A thread like that would need a legit mod. Could easily turn into a B**** fest or a place where people talk down on our committed players.

Very cool idea tho.

Advertisement
Back