Projected spring depth chart

Advertisement
With this new coaching staff everything is up for grabs. We’ve most likely added all that we will take in till the beginning of spring practice as well. During the off-season we have added 11 players (correct me if I’m wrong) for spring with 6 from the class of 22’ and 5 from the portal.

Now that we have been told of our Offensive/Defensive coordinators and their schemes it’s time to figure out who fits those schemes best and who I (we) believe will rise to the top following the spring game.

*These will be under the assumptions D Chaney, J Williams, B Balom, J rivers, J J Campbell, Al Blades are all healthy for spring* (any in the know about if any of the players listed above aren’t available for spring feel free to correct me)

QB: 1. Tyler Van Dyke 2. Jake Garcia
Explanation: not really any needed, we have a top 10 QB on our roster and he isn’t going anywhere until the draft.

RB: 1. D Chaney 2. Henry Parrish/J knighton 3. T Franklin
Explanation: I firmly believe Chaney is the type of back to run the type of offense Gattis/Cristobal envision because of his size, speed and ability to be a receiving threat and although Parrish/Knighton are better receiving backs they don’t have the size/power of Chaney to implement the physical portion of the run game that Mario is known for. ( I also believe when citizen comes onto campus in summer he will surpass Franklin & Brown)

WR 1. Frank Ladson, M Redding, R Brinson

WR 2. K smith, J George

Slot. X Restrepo, B Smith
Overall Explanation: This will be one of the biggest battles in spring as we have a lot of talent and very little PROVEN talent statistically. I believe K smith & Restrepo are next in line to be very productive receivers this year and if Ladson stays healthy he has the opportunity to be the next big transfer WR impact because he has plenty of size/speed. J George and B smith will end up being solid contributors imo but I think Restrepo/K Smith are farther ahead. I could envision Restrepo having a berrios type of year this year as well. Depth is a bit of an issue so hopefully Horton comes in ready to compete or we pick up maybe a rotational WR.

TE: 1. W Mallory 2, E Arroyo 3. D mammerlli 4.J skinner
Expalantion: In my opinion Mallory/Skinner will primarily be used as receiving TEs as Mallory has never been a strong blocker and Skinner needs to add strength/size. I believe by the end of Fall Arroyo will be the one to rise to the top as he is physically built as a blocker and is a very capable receiver. Arroyo, Brantley & Mammarelli are all sizable TEs that are capable blockers so Gattis/Mario will be able to pick their poison. (Especially with a top 3 of Mallory, Arroyo & Skinner).

O-Line
LT: Z Nelson, J Campell
LG: J Rivers, L seymore
C: J Clark, R Rodriguez, DJ Scaife/L Seymore
RG: L Sagap.., J oluswean
RT: DJ Scaife, M Mclaughin, J oluswean

Explanation: I ain’t gonna lie I know jack **** about O-Line outside of very little. It’ll be VERY interesting to see who rises to the top with Mirabal coaching this O-Line as he is one of the best in the business. We most likely need another Transfer O line as I do not believe any of the freshman will be ready to play big minutes. We lose 2/3 Centers who played last year in Gaynor (transfer) and Donaldson (eligibility) so Center will be very interesting for the spring in regards to who is tested out there. The OLine will make or break our offense this season but this is the first time in a WHILE we have had a top tier Oline coach not to mention Oline being Cristobals speciality. Pass blocking was ahead of our run blocking so it’ll be interesting to see what magic can be done between now and the end of fall camp.

DE J harvey, C Moss, Q, Williams, T Davis
DT A Moultrie/L Taylor, A Haye
DT JHH, J Litchenstein, J miller
DE C Williams, E Roberts, J ishmael/N Kelly

Explanation: Losing Ford, Silvera, C Williams, Z McCloud, D Johnson is gonna hurt this group. We have very little experience/production returning. I believe our DTs will be the strength of the D Line with Taylor, JHH, Moultrie and Litchenstein. DE will be an interesting battle (would like to see a portal DE) but we don’t seem to have much depth there so we CANNOT afford injuries.

Linebacker:
SLB (striker type?) 1. G Frierson 2. J Williams 3. J harrel
MLB 1. C Flagg 2. T Austin-Cave, T Johnson
WLB 1. Keontra Smith 2. S Brooks 3. W Bissainthee 4. Huff

Explanation: Definitely need a portal MLB, especially at Middle. I also believe we will use J Williams more closer to the line of scrimmage and will be used similarly to Isiaiah Simmons from Clemson. I think Bissainthee has a great opportunity to come in and earn himself a spot in the rotation. But Keontra Smith was our best LB last year when healthy and unless we bring in a top tier portal LB I don’t see that changing for this year. Definitely an area of weakness for us as of now (thanks Manny…)

DB:
CB 1. T stevenson 2. DJ Ivey 3. T couch
SS 1. J Williams 2. B balom
FS 1. K kitchens 2. A Williams 3. K Washington
CB 1. Al Blades 2. M Clarke 3. I Dunson
Explanation: T Stevenson is really the only solid CB 1 we have to be honest. After that Cornerback is a big jumble. Especially since everyone is on a legitimately CLEAN slate. Out of Blades, Ivey and Couch I have to go with Blades because when he DID play he was at least more reliable than Ivey/Couch who each have MAJOR flaws that need to be fixed (if even possible at this point) between the two I see Couch coming on top over Ivey. I honestly expect Rogers, Harris and Graves to compete for playing time immediately given our lack of established playmakers. If I had to guess I would say Harris would make a name for himself first due to his speed + already weighing in at 185Lbs while Rogers is coming off an injury and is barely 160. When it’s all said and done Rogers will have the better Career IMO. We are pretty deep at safety with J Williams, K Kinchens, A Williams, and B balom. It’s been a while since Balom played meaningful snaps but he had a solid freshman campaign. Williams came in after week 6 and easily held his own. I can see the coaches putting J Williams, A Williams and K kitchens all on the field at once.

Special teams:
K: A Boregalas
P: Lou Hedley

What y’all think ?
great work.
But I don't think Ladson walks in that easy. I would also hope that either Brinson or George is starting at a WR spot. I think they are both that good.

You obviously know nothing about the coastal in 2022.

Ha, I think you're too hard on the division. Pitt and, UNC are decent Top 15-35 teams that could easily knock us off if we're in the Top 15-20 range ourselves. We need to be differentiated, and that depth chart isn't other than TVD, especially along the lines, at MLB and at CB after Stevenson.

The guys that have all the potential in the world that need to break out (mostly in last year's underrated class):
* The 3 amigos
* Chase Smith
* LT
* JW
* Arroyo!!!
* Tae
* Chantz
* Roberts

I do not see a good enough MLB or RT on roster, no terrorizing DE, no clear quality #2 at CB. And IMO, even OG, DT and the #1 WR are question marks headed into camp.

I feel good about QB, RB, TE, S, #2-5 WR, #1 CB. Lots of work left to go among coaches and players behind those guys.

Ha, I think you're too hard on the division. Pitt and, UNC are decent Top 15-35 teams that could easily knock us off if we're in the Top 15-20 range ourselves. We need to be differentiated, and that depth chart isn't other than TVD, especially along the lines, at MLB and at CB after Stevenson.
They both are replacing big name QBs who were true leaders though.
I think objectively it is safe to say that we need to improve in some areas to win the division but it is there for that taking based on our returning talent and best coaching staff in the Conference.

Advertisement
Honestly, James Williams needs to switch positions and get it over with. That size & length can be so much more disruptive closer to the LOS.
As I said I believe he will evolve into a hybrid defender for us based on the other teams personnel and ours. He did well as a safety last year but Tae/Kinchens are quality starters. Why not put them all out there at once?

Depth chart is horrible. I doubt Chaney and rivers will even be there in spring. Kinchens, C.smith( who u didn’t even name), Wesley, Kelly will all be out spring with shoulder issues. Lichtenstein will probably play DE on early downs.
I will admit C Smith slipped my mind when naming/thinking of LBs. in my opinion HE could dethrone Flagg if he puts on the size. If not he would be a strong #2 at Will. Maybe even move Keontra to strong side on certain short yardage downs and have both on the field at once.

Advertisement
QB1 - Tyler Van Dyke
QB2 - Jake Garcia
QB3 - Jacurri Brown

RB1 - Jaylan Knighton
RB2 - Henry Parrish Jr
RB3 - Don Chaney Jr (when healthy)
RB4 - Thad Franklin Jr
RB5 - Trevonte Citizen

(All 5 will play, no redshirts, my guess is Cody Brown hits the portal)

XWR - Keyshawn Smith/ Romello Brinson
YWR - Xavier Restrepo/ Brashard Smith
ZWR - Frank Ladson/ Jacolby George

(I personally would start George or Brinson ahead of Ladson, but in this offense Ladson fits with what we’ll be doing)

TE1 - Will Mallory
TE2 - Elijah Arroyo
TE3 - Kahlil Brantley
TE4- Dominic Mamarelli
TE5- Jaleel Skinner

(I think Skinner will eventually become the 3rd TE in the rotation, I’m just guessing they’ll start him at the back of the line & let him earn his way up)

LT - Zion Nelson/ Issiah Walker Jr/ Chris Washington
LG - Jalen Rivers/ Justice Oluwaseun/ Anez Cooper
C - Jakai Clark/ Ryan Rodriguez/ Laurence Seymore
RG - Logan Sagapolu/ Cleveland Reed/ Ousman Traore
RT - John Campbell/ DJ Scaife/ Michael McLaughlin

WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Chantz Williams/ Cyrus Moss/ Thomas Davis
1T - Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Jordan Miller/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Antonio Moultrie/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Jake Lichtenstein/ Elijah Roberts/ Nyjalik Kelly/ Jabari Ishmael

(Putting Moultrie at DT kinda throws a monkey wrench in the DL rotation IMO, I think he & Roberts should switch because both can play DE/DT, but ultimately it won’t matter because the DL all pretty much rush from along the entire line in Stunts)

Mike LB - Tirek Austin-Cave/ Corey Flagg Jr
Will LB - Keontra Smith/ Wesley Bissainthe/ Deshawn Troutman
Sam LB - Chase Smith/ Waynmon Steed/ Tyler Johnson
STK - Gilbert Frierson/ Jalen Harrell

FCB - Tyrique Stevenson/ Al Blades Jr/ Jaden Harris/ Khamauri Rogers
NCB - Marcus Clarke/ Te’Cory Couch/ Malik Curtis
BCB - Daryl Porter Jr/ DJ Ivey/ Chris Graves/ Isaiah Dunson

(I personally would play Jaden Harris at Nickel over Clarke, but we’ll see what happens come Spring ball, adding Daryl Porter Jr gives the proper realignment we need in the CB group)

FS - Kamren Kinchens/ Avantae Williams/ Markeith Williams
RS - James Williams/ Keshawn Washington/ Brian Balom

Still have needs at LB, DT, DE & OL in the Portal.

And NO this isn’t who I personally would start, I’m just guessing who the staff will start to begin the season.

I will admit C Smith slipped my mind when naming/thinking of LBs. in my opinion HE could dethrone Flagg if he puts on the size. If not he would be a strong #2 at Will. Maybe even move Keontra to strong side on certain short yardage downs and have both on the field at once.
The hope is that the starting LBs are the Smith duo (Chase/Keontra) and Brooks/TAC/Steed backing them up.
Those that are automatically expecting 10+ wins need to take a closer look at that depth chart, especially the defensive side.
We desperately and I mean desperately need some guys to take that "quantum leap" in development on defense if we are going to win 10 games. Speaking mainly to the guys who have been here for at least 3 years.

Harvey
JHH
Keontra Smith
Blades Jr.

We cant afford for any of these guys to be JAGs next year or it could get ugly.

QB1 - Tyler Van Dyke
QB2 - Jake Garcia
QB3 - Jacurri Brown

RB1 - Jaylan Knighton
RB2 - Henry Parrish Jr
RB3 - Don Chaney Jr (when healthy)
RB4 - Thad Franklin Jr
RB5 - Trevonte Citizen

(All 5 will play, no redshirts, my guess is Cody Brown hits the portal)

XWR - Keyshawn Smith/ Romello Brinson
YWR - Xavier Restrepo/ Brashard Smith
ZWR - Frank Ladson/ Jacolby George

(I personally would start George or Brinson ahead of Ladson, but in this offense Ladson fits with what we’ll be doing)

TE1 - Will Mallory
TE2 - Elijah Arroyo
TE3 - Kahlil Brantley
TE4- Dominic Mamarelli
TE5- Jaleel Skinner

(I think Skinner will eventually become the 3rd TE in the rotation, I’m just guessing they’ll start him at the back of the line & let him earn his way up)

LT - Zion Nelson/ Issiah Walker Jr/ Chris Washington
LG - Jalen Rivers/ Justice Oluwaseun/ Anez Cooper
C - Jakai Clark/ Ryan Rodriguez/ Laurence Seymore
RG - Logan Sagapolu/ Cleveland Reed/ Ousman Traore
RT - John Campbell/ DJ Scaife/ Michael McLaughlin

WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Chantz Williams/ Cyrus Moss/ Thomas Davis
1T - Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Jordan Miller/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Antonio Moultrie/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Jake Lichtenstein/ Elijah Roberts/ Nyjalik Kelly/ Jabari Ishmael

(Putting Moultrie at DT kinda throws a monkey wrench in the DL rotation IMO, I think he & Roberts should switch because both can play DE/DT, but ultimately it won’t matter because the DL all pretty much rush from along the entire line in Stunts)

Mike LB - Tirek Austin-Cave/ Corey Flagg Jr
Will LB - Keontra Smith/ Wesley Bissainthe/ Deshawn Troutman
Sam LB - Chase Smith/ Waynmon Steed/ Tyler Johnson
STK - Gilbert Frierson/ Jalen Harrell

FCB - Tyrique Stevenson/ Al Blades Jr/ Jaden Harris/ Khamauri Rogers
NCB - Marcus Clarke/ Te’Cory Couch/ Malik Curtis
BCB - Daryl Porter Jr/ DJ Ivey/ Chris Graves/ Isaiah Dunson

(I personally would play Jaden Harris at Nickel over Clarke, but we’ll see what happens come Spring ball, adding Daryl Porter Jr gives the proper realignment we need in the CB group)

FS - Kamren Kinchens/ Avantae Williams/ Markeith Williams
RS - James Williams/ Keshawn Washington/ Brian Balom

Still have needs at LB, DT, DE & OL in the Portal.

And NO this isn’t who I personally would start, I’m just guessing who the staff will start to begin the season.
:11263324214-66c20be71a-o:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Those that are automatically expecting 10+ wins need to take a closer look at that depth chart, especially the defensive side.
10 wins with what LCE posted seems like a gigantic stretch. 10 wins with additions like Porter, Dorlus, and a Portal MLB still depend on leaps from either Harvey or Chantz (or both), expected gains from the Sophomore crew, and something significant to happen with RG/RT. So, sure, 10 wins are reasonable to expect if we meet 6 separate conditions. Ha.

Going to be brutally honest here. That CB room outside of TS is straight garbage.

We desperately need a RT to step up. Outside of that Im ok with the starters but we really need some competition and depth.

If Corey Flagg is still the no1 Mike after spring then that is a very bad sign. Chase Smith needs to get healthy asap.

This spring is absolutely huge for Huff, Brooks and Cave. Time to step up boys.

Wesley Bissianthe may end up starting by mid season but regardless he will play. Interesting to see how Frierson and K.Smith do under Steele.

Where does James Williams end up playing?

Outside of the freshmen Im not too thrilled about our DE situation. Hopefully better scheme and coaching do the trick for Chanz and Jafari. Would like a starting quality DE in the portal.

DT should be ok but we need to recruit the heck out of that position in 23.
Agree with 95% of your post its possible the cb's could improve and i think we have enough bodies at backer to have a decent 3 deep if steele goes 4-2-5!

That's not a lineup that has a high probability of winning the Coastal and playing Clemson strong. Lines and CB look average. LB position is unacceptable.

Portal needs: MLB, RT, CB, DE ... possibly 1 OG, 1 DT, a second LB and a second CB.
That's why mario is being patient gotta see what we got and see if they can be coached up! I think that's why were being patient in regards to the portal!

Advertisement
Back