Pro-Golden Rant

I for one can't believe people bashing Golden for talking to Penn State did you see what they are paying Franklin??

Golden could have doubled his salary and you can clearly see that Miami is not on the same level as other upper echelon programs when it comes to paying coaches.

I wonder if people who criticized Golden for talking with Penn State do you have a family to take care of? A wife? Kids? Family comes first in that situation and you're Not doing your family right if you don't at least look into it.

That's great, but then he has to deal with the consequences of his actions, like losing the trust of fans and recruits.

Everyone tries to make more money and/or improve their positions. You simply cant blame any individual for doing that. Period.
What can we blame Golden for then? His performance is the cloud's fault, the talent's fault, etc. He isn't at fault for cuckolding the university and losing recruits as a result. He isn't at fault for losing any recruit period, as the recruit is at fault, his grades sucks, we didn't want him anyway, he was getting paid, etc. Golden is just an infallible human being.
The only people that have more excuses than golden are the golden defenders. I've never seen anything like it. You would think we were talking about nick Saban. The guy is a ******* loser on and off the field. **** him and his 400 page binder

Advertisement
I think vilifying Al Golden after 3 seasons is too premature. The benchmark to judge a coach should be what he does after 3 years with HIS players, not Shannon's recruits. Golden has given us an improvement with 6win-7w-9w seasons. And that progress was done with Shannon's uninspired, over-hyped, "not reaching to their potential" recruits.

But let's see how he does now with HIS recruits embedded in the roster. When Erickson and Coker won their championships, it was under the previous regime's (Johnson and Davis) recruits. The guy obviously wants to stay here after passing up head coaching positions and sticking by UM after the Shapiro fallout.

I mean, I would love to have a early shot at the NCAA championship or, at the very least, even the ACC championship the past 3 years. But I'd much rather see if he could build a dynasty.

Our problem has been defense
The best defense we've fielded under Doh'rito (GoRlden) was in his first year -- with Shannon's players
Each year since, we've regressed (that means we've gotten worse)
???
Trending Up?

Still wonder why perryman stayed. Tossed 3rd money still millions to play for this horrible staff??

I for one can't believe people bashing Golden for talking to Penn State did you see what they are paying Franklin??

Golden could have doubled his salary and you can clearly see that Miami is not on the same level as other upper echelon programs when it comes to paying coaches.

I wonder if people who criticized Golden for talking with Penn State do you have a family to take care of? A wife? Kids? Family comes first in that situation and you're Not doing your family right if you don't at least look into it.

LMAO, this isn't about understanding the context of capitalism and opportunity. Four weeks to prepare for an opportunity Miami hasn't had in three years. Four weeks to prepare for one opponent. Four week to look like the most unprepared, unmotivated, and soft group of pussies of the entire bowl season. Then as an encore, hiding out and cutting communication with everyone except direct family and Penn State instead of being open with his current employer while beginning to figure out ways to fix the glaring problems with his team.

He's made zero changes to staff, was forced to communicate with the school and local media, sounded like a beaten pet when he did talk, and is now losing recruits left and right. That is enough to tell me everything I need to know regardless of whether I understand why he talked to Penn State or not. I was leading the cheers when I thought he was gone, this isn't about a sense of betrayal. He is stubborn over a plan that is proving to fail, therefore making him an ignorant lame duck coach with an awful feel of the game and average recruiting ability at best. If people want to continue to believe he's going to turn it around and get legitimate Miami results with blind hope, go ahead but stop trying to convince others of ignoring proven results.

Nothing more needs to be said.

We'll never know all of the details and many of the things the Golden haters are saying are nothing but assumptions, guesses and dooms talk. I agree Golden could have handled this differently but again we do not know exactly what happened. And this was his alma mater that supposedly came knocking. This may have been the final test for Golden himself to ask "Am I completely in or not?" We've all had those times when we had tough decisions to make. Every time you make a decision, you're giving something else up. Now that this is behind us, I expect to see Golden get his mojo back and get our team going strongly in the right direction. It's been a crappy two weeks but the worst is behind us and we need to stand behind the team.

Advertisement
Sorry, but defensive intensity and aggressiveness is not a long fix. It can show up immediately when changes are made. As a USC alum I suffered through a debacle 2012 season including a bowl game snooze against Georgia Tech in which the defense looked like it didn't spend five seconds preparing for the triple option. Miami lost to a very talented and competent Louisville team, good enough to win the Sugar Bowl a year earlier. USC was handled rather easily by a Yellow Jacket team that otherwise hasn't won a bowl game in Paul Johnson's tenure.

Kiffin may have faults but he wasn't stubborn enough not to recognize the ineptitude of his defense, with his dad running the Tampa 2 scheme against multiple college looks. His dad was forced out and replaced by Clancy Pendergast. The improvement was immediate. Other than the Arizona State game USC was very impressive defensively, moving to 20th in the nation in yards allowed per play.

In Golden's case there's no sense he acknowledges there is a problem, let alone any need to change. I've been criticized here for announcing that I'm betting against the Canes, notably in the Virginia Tech game. How can I not wager against them, given the frailty on defense? I'd be an outright fool.

We'll never know all of the details and many of the things the Golden haters are saying are nothing but assumptions, guesses and dooms talk. I agree Golden could have handled this differently but again we do not know exactly what happened. And this was his alma mater that supposedly came knocking. This may have been the final test for Golden himself to ask "Am I completely in or not?" We've all had those times when we had tough decisions to make. Every time you make a decision, you're giving something else up. Now that this is behind us, I expect to see Golden get his mojo back and get our team going strongly in the right direction. It's been a crappy two weeks but the worst is behind us and we need to stand behind the team.

He was not offered. He waited and to his credit did not come out and tell the team was staying when it was possible he was not. But it was not up to him. PSU got their guy and did not take GoRlden. He waited and would have gone if offered. In his mind, silence was the best of all the options, but it was still bad for the program. Sorry, dude. But that is just the way it is.

And I am not a "GoRlden hater". I think he's ridiculously obstinate & assholish to keep Doh'rito on board, but that's his decision and will cost him and the program a lot for years to come.

He was not offered. He waited and to his credit did not come out and tell the team was staying when it was possible he was not. But it was not up to him. PSU got their guy and did not take GoRlden. He waited and would have gone if offered. In his mind, silence was the best of all the options, but it was still bad for the program. Sorry, dude. But that is just the way we think it is.

Fixed it for you. Again we're assuming.

Advertisement
Another non-sensical post. So if we don't win an NC or ACC title we get to build a dynasty?

Some of you guys really need to learn from history. Golden is going down the same exact path of Shannon and Coker, and will be fired this upcoming year. I don't need to see an entire roster of Golden players to know that he is horrible. We're not even close to consistently competing with slightly above average teams (8 or more wins). Not even close. We played better against those types of teams under Shannon, that is how bad Golden is. No "dynasty" is coming, because Golden can't beat anybody worth a ****. In fact, the only time a Golden team has been competitive versus a very very good team (2011 KSU), Randy's players were on the team.

Oh and he's an awful recruiter. In 3 years he couldn't recruit anybody to take over for Shayon Green or Jimmy Gaines.

Our LB, DL, and S depth is HORRIBLE. Our RB depth is horrible. We have nothing but an unproven senior transfer and 2 freshman at QB. Our OL and WR's are good, though. But that's it. We're an awful team headed for 4-6 wins.

Last edited:

That's great, but then he has to deal with the consequences of his actions, like losing the trust of fans and recruits.

Everyone tries to make more money and/or improve their positions. You simply cant blame any individual for doing that. Period.
What can we blame Golden for then? His performance is the cloud's fault, the talent's fault, etc. He isn't at fault for cuckolding the university and losing recruits as a result. He isn't at fault for losing any recruit period, as the recruit is at fault, his grades sucks, we didn't want him anyway, he was getting paid, etc. Golden is just an infallible human being.

Losing recruits happens everywhere to every coach regardless if he's a permanent fixture or with one leg out the door.
The key is to see if they can get an equal or better recruit to take the vacant spot. And we won't know that until NSD.

He was not offered. He waited and to his credit did not come out and tell the team was staying when it was possible he was not. But it was not up to him. PSU got their guy and did not take GoRlden. He waited and would have gone if offered. In his mind, silence was the best of all the options, but it was still bad for the program. Sorry, dude. But that is just the way we think it is.

You assume he had a decision to make based off your desire for him to have decided to stay with Miami. And that's it. My "assumptions" are based upon everything else that has come out regarding the story. Had Al Golden "decided" to stay, he would have made an unequivocal statement to that affect. He did not. To the contrary actually, he behaved in a manner of someone who was waiting to be asked to the prom and PSU never asked him. He did not, EVER act as a coach dead set on returning. Sorry dude, but my "assumptions" are based upon what everyone observed, yours are based on your hopes and dreams. And there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you like, do it.

Randy, lazy players, empty cupboards, ncaa cloud ...... A lot reasons to excuse Al for results. Here is the real problem, his defense is just horrible, is getting worse not better and he is the ONLY person that doesn't seem to see it. That blind commitment to his brainchild defense is his fatal flaw. You cannot fix something that you think is working. 10 more years and all the talent in to world will not change the fact that every OC we faced this year new how to beat Al's defense to into a bloody mass of broken bones -- except the gator OC and he got fired. You do make one good point, three of our NCs came off others recruits. However, Butch was a huge part of JJ's recruiting too, so in reality 4 of our NCs came from Butch's recruits. That is the best argument to not blame Al for his failures: only Howard won without Butch's players.

Advertisement
OK, I agree with that. We're both assuming. We have very little facts of what actually happened. You can choose to assume that Golden was behaving in a manner you disagree with. I assume that Golden listened to PSU out of respect for his alma mater and he was also disgusted and dismayed by the reaction of the fan base and their assumptions despite everything he had done for the team during the last three years. We can't even begin to know how hard it was for him and his staff to go out and try to recruit with the NCAA/Shapiro crap thrown in their face at every door. But he sucked it up, kept recruiting and he has gotten us this far. He dealt with that crap for three years, could have bolted but stayed and then the first time a school comes calling, our fan base criticizes him for even thinking of that as an option. He wasn't even allowed to think about it in his own time frame. PSU had to go by the rules of their parole officer and that really screwed Golden and in effect us as well. I'm going to save my disgust for the school who almost got the death penalty for covering up pedophiles and then now have hired a coach mired in a rape scandal at another school.

Oh and he's an awful recruiter. In 3 years he couldn't recruit anybody to take over for Shayon Green or Jimmy Gaines.
That's just dumb. Kirby, Figs, Grace, AQM, are all upgrades over Green and Gaines..
So it's not that he couldn't recruit anyone. He did.. EJ, Paul, were better. Unfortunately they were poor character plan B guys that he was forced to bring in due to the precarious position he was put in when he took over to try to save a recruiting class that was devoid of commits.
Now, you can question his loyalty to the SR class that stuck by him during these years and he rewarded their loyalty and hard work by starting them and giving them playing time at the expense of playing younger but more talented players but don't mistaken that with him not being able to recruit players that are better cause he has.

Our LB, DL, and S depth is HORRIBLE. Our RB depth is horrible. We have nothing but an unproven senior transfer and 2 freshman at QB. Our OL and WR's are good, though. But that's it. We're an awful team headed for 4-6 wins.
Again, this is plain dumb and false at that. And given the effects of recruiting under uncertainty the last few years he's done a pretty good job .

You assume he had a decision to make based off your desire for him to have decided to stay with Miami. And that's it. My "assumptions" are based upon everything else that has come out regarding the story. Had Al Golden "decided" to stay, he would have made an unequivocal statement to that affect. He did not. To the contrary actually, he behaved in a manner of someone who was waiting to be asked to the prom and PSU never asked him. He did not, EVER act as a coach dead set on returning. Sorry dude, but my "assumptions" are based upon what everyone observed, yours are based on your hopes and dreams. And there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you like, do it.
Great post here

Advertisement
OK, I agree with that. We're both assuming. We have very little facts of what actually happened. You can choose to assume that Golden was behaving in a manner you disagree with. I assume that Golden listened to PSU out of respect for his alma mater and he was also disgusted and dismayed by the reaction of the fan base and their assumptions despite everything he had done for the team during the last three years. We can't even begin to know how hard it was for him and his staff to go out and try to recruit with the NCAA/Shapiro crap thrown in their face at every door. But he sucked it up, kept recruiting and he has gotten us this far. He dealt with that crap for three years, could have bolted but stayed and then the first time a school comes calling, our fan base criticizes him for even thinking of that as an option. He wasn't even allowed to think about it in his own time frame. PSU had to go by the rules of their parole officer and that really screwed Golden and in effect us as well. I'm going to save my disgust for the school who almost got the death penalty for covering up pedophiles and then now have hired a coach mired in a rape scandal at another school.

Here's my version of events if GoRlden really had no intention of leaving.

8:00 p.m., Thur Jan 2
PSU guy dialing phone 3-0-5-5-5-5-C-A-N-E
ring-ring
AG: yello!
PSU guy: Hey Al, it's me, Chester.
AG: Hey, what's up
PSU guy: Well, we were wanting to talk with you about the HC vacancy, would you be interested in talking?
AG: You know, all the **** I went through down here really makes me want to see this out. Besides, I got a great group of guys here, things are really starting to turn around, wife's happy, weather's great. I kind of figured I'd be hearing from you, but you know, as much as I love you guys up there at State College, I'm a Hurricane now and it's all about the []_[] for me now. I really appreciate it though.
PSU guy: Well, you know the rumors are already circulating and who ever we get is going to earn a **** load more than you make now, so are you sure you won't just hear us out?
AG: Listen you son of a *****, I've got a top 5 recruiting class in the works right now, don't start spreading any rumors out there to help you in your search. I'm flattered but no. It's not all about the money, Chester. Did you see what FSU did in their bowl this year? Did you see what we did? My works not done here. Again, thanks but no thanks.
PSU guy: How about we fly down there and we can talk.
AG: Did you not hear what I said? No. Do you understand what kind of message that would send to the fans, the team, the admin, the recruits? You're going to cause a **** storm that I'm gonna have to clean up. If you do, tomorrow morning I will come out with a strongly worded statement that will not help you in your search whatsoever. I'm here and I'm going to stay here.
PSU guy: Alright Al. I appreciate the honesty. Good luck next year.

basically there is a lot of jealousy to al's position . . . we feel he hasn't done the job we would like and then has the nerve to explore other employment opportunities/promotion . . . in honesty we need to realize what he has done and under the circumstances he' done it

**** that fat **** sucking ****** and his lopsided saggy sweaty ****... Loser.

Oh... OP if a ***

/Negged

I think vilifying Al Golden after 3 seasons is too premature. The benchmark to judge a coach should be what he does after 3 years with HIS players, not Shannon's recruits. Golden has given us an improvement with 6win-7w-9w seasons. And that progress was done with Shannon's uninspired, over-hyped, "not reaching to their potential" recruits.

But let's see how he does now with HIS recruits embedded in the roster. When Erickson and Coker won their championships, it was under the previous regime's (Johnson and Davis) recruits. The guy obviously wants to stay here after passing up head coaching positions and sticking by UM after the Shapiro fallout.

I mean, I would love to have a early shot at the NCAA championship or, at the very least, even the ACC championship the past 3 years. But I'd much rather see if he could build a dynasty.

I don't remember Shannon getting three years, He was on the hot seat after his first season. **** we all wanted him fired after a 9-4 season. Golden has done nothing here, he is basically an other Randy Shannon with one exception, he's got better sales skills. Golden is not going to build a dynasty here, **** he would have jumped on the PSU gig if he was offered the job.
I grant you that he was loyal to the program after the NCAA stuff broke and I applaud it for it. With that said, I do not believe that he is the guy anymore. I could be wrong, and I have been wrong before time will tell.

Advertisement
Back