Pro-Golden Rant

iamresentful

Redshirt Freshman
I think vilifying Al Golden after 3 seasons is too premature. The benchmark to judge a coach should be what he does after 3 years with HIS players, not Shannon's recruits. Golden has given us an improvement with 6win-7w-9w seasons. And that progress was done with Shannon's uninspired, over-hyped, "not reaching to their potential" recruits.

But let's see how he does now with HIS recruits embedded in the roster. When Erickson and Coker won their championships, it was under the previous regime's (Johnson and Davis) recruits. The guy obviously wants to stay here after passing up head coaching positions and sticking by UM after the Shapiro fallout.

I mean, I would love to have a early shot at the NCAA championship or, at the very least, even the ACC championship the past 3 years. But I'd much rather see if he could build a dynasty.

Advertisement
I think vilifying Al Golden after 3 seasons is too premature. The benchmark to judge a coach should be what he does after 3 years with HIS players, not Shannon's recruits. Golden has given us an improvement with 6win-7w-9w seasons. And that progress was done with Shannon's uninspired, over-hyped, "not reaching to their potential" recruits.

But let's see how he does now with HIS recruits embedded in the roster. When Erickson and Coker won their championships, it was under the previous regime's (Johnson and Davis) recruits. The guy obviously wants to stay here after passing up head coaching positions and sticking by UM after the Shapiro fallout.

I mean, I would love to have a early shot at the NCAA championship or, at the very least, even the ACC championship the past 3 years. But I'd much rather see if he could build a dynasty.

You are extremely naive. It would be a waste of time to say anymore.

I for one can't believe people bashing Golden for talking to Penn State did you see what they are paying Franklin??

Golden could have doubled his salary and you can clearly see that Miami is not on the same level as other upper echelon programs when it comes to paying coaches.

I wonder if people who criticized Golden for talking with Penn State do you have a family to take care of? A wife? Kids? Family comes first in that situation and you're Not doing your family right if you don't at least look into it.

Advertisement
I for one can't believe people bashing Golden for talking to Penn State did you see what they are paying Franklin??

Golden could have doubled his salary and you can clearly see that Miami is not on the same level as other upper echelon programs when it comes to paying coaches.

I wonder if people who criticized Golden for talking with Penn State do you have a family to take care of? A wife? Kids? Family comes first in that situation and you're Not doing your family right if you don't at least look into it.

LMAO, this isn't about understanding the context of capitalism and opportunity. Four weeks to prepare for an opportunity Miami hasn't had in three years. Four weeks to prepare for one opponent. Four week to look like the most unprepared, unmotivated, and soft group of pussies of the entire bowl season. Then as an encore, hiding out and cutting communication with everyone except direct family and Penn State instead of being open with his current employer while beginning to figure out ways to fix the glaring problems with his team.

He's made zero changes to staff, was forced to communicate with the school and local media, sounded like a beaten pet when he did talk, and is now losing recruits left and right. That is enough to tell me everything I need to know regardless of whether I understand why he talked to Penn State or not. I was leading the cheers when I thought he was gone, this isn't about a sense of betrayal. He is stubborn over a plan that is proving to fail, therefore making him an ignorant lame duck coach with an awful feel of the game and average recruiting ability at best. If people want to continue to believe he's going to turn it around and get legitimate Miami results with blind hope go ahead, but stop trying to convince others of ignoring proven results.

Last edited:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here that what UM is paying Golden allows him to take care of his family in fine style. If you're making between 1.5 and 2 million, going after 4 million is something other than taking care of your family. Not saying he doesn't want it. Not saying I wouldn't take it.

hasn't butch been quoted as saying he regrets leaving Miami chasing money?

to some it up it wasn't about money golden prbly saw his once in a lifetime dream job in is alma mater calling his name and couldn't hurt him for that

but he hasn't proven crap here for me to say we need to give him an immediate raise his product on this field is horrible right now and not wanting to be a grown man in a business world and fire his friend who cant coach a high school JV team will set us back

Advertisement
We used to take illiterate, backward peoples, train them over a few months, and they would excel to the tune of 33:1 against our enemies who were fully literate, fully trained, fully equipped, and well led.

I'm sorry, but when I hear someone say three years is a bit short to make a judgement - I gotta laugh.

That's great, but then he has to deal with the consequences of his actions, like losing the trust of fans and recruits.

People are still blaming Shannon? Wow. That's like blaming Bush for all of Obama's problems.

Chickillo, Jelani Hamilton, AQM, McCord, Grimble, Denzel, Kirby, Grace, Howard, Burns, Elder, Bush, Jenkins, Crawford.

That's just defense. None of them are Shannon guys. All of them were highly recruited guys and plenty talented in HS. If those guys are not developing, that's coaching. If those guys are transferring, that's coaching. If those guys are not starting, that's coaching.

"But, but, but... they're underachieving and not reaching their potential!"

Well, if you want to throw 60 pounds on Chickillo and then act surprised that he's slow and not developing, is that Chick's fault or coaching/scheme?

"But, but, but... Those guys weren't playing!"
Well, if Shayon Green starts over AQM or Gaines starts over Kirby, whose fault is that?

LMAO, this isn't about understanding the context of capitalism and opportunity. Four weeks to prepare for an opportunity Miami hasn't had in three years. Four weeks to prepare for one opponent. Four week to look like the most unprepared, unmotivated, and soft group of pussies of the entire bowl season. Then as an encore, hiding out and cutting communication with everyone except direct family and Penn State instead of being open with his current employer while beginning to figure out ways to fix the glaring problems with his team.

He's made zero changes to staff, was forced to communicate with the school and local media, sounded like a beaten pet when he did talk, and is now losing recruits left and right. That is enough to tell me everything I need to know regardless of whether I understand why he talked to Penn State or not. I was leading the cheers when I thought he was gone, this isn't about a sense of betrayal. He is stubborn over a plan that is proving to fail, therefore making him an ignorant lame duck coach with an awful feel of the game and average recruiting ability at best. If people want to continue to believe he's going to turn it around and get legitimate Miami results with blind hope, go ahead but stop trying to convince others of ignoring proven results.
One of the best retorts I've read. Good stuff.

Advertisement

He's made zero changes to staff, was forced to communicate with the school and local media, sounded like a beaten pet when he did talk, and is now losing recruits left and right. That is enough to tell me everything I need to know regardless of whether I understand why he talked to Penn State or not. I was leading the cheers when I thought he was gone, this isn't about a sense of betrayal. He is stubborn over a plan that is proving to fail, therefore making him an ignorant lame duck coach with an awful feel of the game and average recruiting ability at best. If people want to continue to believe he's going to turn it around and get legitimate Miami results with blind hope, go ahead but stop trying to convince others of ignoring proven results.

Could not have said it better

People are still blaming Shannon? Wow. That's like blaming Bush for all of Obama's problems.

Chickillo, Jelani Hamilton, AQM, McCord, Grimble, Denzel, Kirby, Grace, Howard, Burns, Elder, Bush, Jenkins, Crawford.

That's just defense. None of them are Shannon guys. All of them were highly recruited guys and plenty talented in HS. If those guys are not developing, that's coaching. If those guys are transferring, that's coaching. If those guys are not starting, that's coaching.

Well, if you want to throw 60 pounds on Chickillo and then act surprised that he's slow and not developing, is that Chick's fault or coaching/scheme?

Well, if Shayon Green starts over AQM or Gaines starts over Kirby, whose fault is that?

Plenty of people blame Bush for a lot of Obama's problems, and rightfully so. It's not like Obama (or Golden for that matter) started from ground zero. They start with whatever the person before them left. In the case of Obama, it was unjustified wars and a full blown economic crisis. In the case of Golden, it was a crippling NCAA investigation and a mediocre team whose best players jumped for the NFL at the first chance they got.

Go ahead, flame away. I'll support the team and whoever is coaching no matter what and just hope for the best. As a fan, not much else I can do but hope. (Knicks & Mets have taught me how to deal with ****ed up teams pretty well.)

I believed in Randy Shannon until the very end. I supported him, and made excuses for him even though the facts were against me. My orange and green glasses were blinding me from the truth.

I won't be doing that again. Facts are facts. Golden is not getting the job done, regardless of charisma or #fullspeedahead hash tags.

Advertisement

Plenty of people blame Bush for a lot of Obama's problems, and rightfully so. It's not like Obama (or Golden for that matter) started from ground zero. They start with whatever the person before them left. In the case of Obama, it was unjustified wars and a full blown economic crisis. In the case of Golden, it was a crippling NCAA investigation and a mediocre team whose best players jumped for the NFL at the first chance they got.

Go ahead, flame away. I'll support the team and whoever is coaching no matter what and just hope for the best. As a fan, not much else I can do but hope. (Knicks & Mets have taught me how to deal with ****ed up teams pretty well.)

Yup, figures you're a Mets fan. Sorry to insult you that way. Hope I don't get banned.

That's great, but then he has to deal with the consequences of his actions, like losing the trust of fans and recruits.

Everyone tries to make more money and/or improve their positions. You simply cant blame any individual for doing that. Period.

Everyone tries to make more money and/or improve their positions. You simply cant blame any individual for doing that. Period.
What can we blame Golden for then? His performance is the cloud's fault, the talent's fault, etc. He isn't at fault for cuckolding the university and losing recruits as a result. He isn't at fault for losing any recruit period, as the recruit is at fault, his grades sucks, we didn't want him anyway, he was getting paid, etc. Golden is just an infallible human being.

Not pro or con. Just win and finish the recruiting class... Going to be a long off-season.

Advertisement
Back