Pro Canes Update: Week 5

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
The NFL season rolls on, here is your week 5 Pro Canes Update.

Duke Johnson had three carries for 8 yards and one catch for 11 yards. Frank Gore had nine carries for 30 yards. Travis Homer had three carries for 14 yards.

At receiver, Braxton Berrios had one carry for 13 yards, a 13-yard kick return, and a 9-yard punt return.

Jimmy Graham had 3 catches for 33 yards and a touchdown. David Njoku had one catch for 6 yards in his first game back from injury. Christopher Herndon had two catches for 24 yards while Greg Olson had one catch for 20 yards.

Ereck Flowers, KC McDermott, Brandon Linder, and Tyree St. Louis all got playing time along the offensive line.

Al-Quadin Muhammad had three tackles, one QB hit, and one forced fumble. Olivier Vernon had one tackle and one QB hit. Calais Campbell had two tackles and one QB hit.

Denzel Perryman had one tackle.

Adrian Colbert had 8 tackles and one TFL. Rayshawn Jenkins had nine tackles. Sheldrick Redwine had one tackle, an interception, and a PBU. Corn Elder had four tackles and a PBU.

Pat O’Donnell had five punts for 228 yards, an average of 45 yards per punt. Michael Badgley was 3 of 4 on extra points.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Even when we were down we’re still having more dbs ball out than probably any team besides bama and Ohio state

Banda getting a nice little resume , he can now sell jaquan Redwine and Jenkins
Not bad how many safety coaches got 3 starters in the league ? Can’t be many more

I never thought I would say Banda may be the best coach on the team

wow, how emblematic is our pro cane update of our current um football roster?
-solid veteran and youth presence at running back
-a bunch of talented tight ends who seemingly could be better utilized
-four serviceable yet unremarkable offensive linemen, and nothing more
-three good defensive linemen, though none is otherworldly and we are lacking on the interior
-woefully overmatched with one undersized, slightly athletically overmatched linebacker
-all of our tackles are coming from the secondary

Even when we were down we’re still having more dbs ball out than probably any team besides bama and Ohio state

Banda getting a nice little resume , he can now sell jaquan Redwine and Jenkins
Not bad how many safety coaches got 3 starters in the league ? Can’t be many more

I never thought I would say Banda may be the best coach on the team
Redwine is his best sell. That guy didn’t receive safety coaching until his second year with richts staff. So bandas second year cause he played corner in 2016. Then he switched to safety in 2017. Played well. Then 2018 he played great

1) well at least we have one corner we can point to doing something in the NFL now. Thanks Corn. The lack of name brand for these DBs compares to FSU and UF sucks and continues to hurt us in recruiting I think

2) why doesn’t Duke Johnson get utilized more? This dude was a workhorse back and all time rusher at Miami of all schools and it seems like he barely ever gets more than 5 carries in the NFL.

Advertisement
Whats up with Jamal Carter I seen playing for the falcons against Green Bay he had 5 tackles now I dont him on the roster on the score sports mobile app

People always slept on em for some reason, one of my favorite Canes, all he does everywhere he goes is force coaches to start em:​

Advertisement
People always slept on em for some reason, one of my favorite Canes, all he does everywhere he goes is force coaches to start em:​

Nice little video there. He was all over the place and he closed gaps dam fast. Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement
Jamal Carter was waived by the Falcons on Oct. 7. Jon Feliciano was activated from the IR on Oct. 7 by the Raiders. Released by the Dolphins at the close of training camp, Trent Harris was signed to Giants practice squad on Oct. 14 and was activated to New York's 53-man roster four days later. Ray-Ray Armstrong had a tryout with Seattle on Oct. 6, but wasn't signed. Rookie Lawrence Cager was demoted to the Jets practice squad's IR from New York's 53-man active roster on Oct. 9.

After spending his rookie year on Jacksonville's practice squad, followed by a year on the Jags' IR last season, KC McDermott started this season on the Jaguars PS again, but was activated for only one day (Sept. 24) before being sent back to the PS. Promoted a 2nd time to the Jaguars active roster on Oct. 3, McDermott recently saw his first action in an NFL regular season game (he's actually now played in 2 games), as Matthew_Suero noted above. Unfortunately, McDermott has since been placed on Jacksonville's COVID-19 list as of Oct. 16.

Last edited:
The Seattle Seahawks signed LB Ray-Ray Armstrong to their practice squad yesterday, Oct. 21. Under new rules for the 2020 season, NFL teams will be able to carry up to 16 players on their practice squads due to the pandemic. That’s up from the previous limit of 10 players, which had been in effect from 2014 through 2019. Previously, PS rosters were limited to only 8 players from 2004-2013. This means teams will have a total of 69 players available to practice each week, including the 53 players on the active roster. Within each practice squad, franchises will also be able to carry vested veterans – or players with four or more years of accrued seasons. Up to six players will be eligible for the practice squad regardless of how many seasons they’ve accrued in the NFL. Armstrong has spent time on an NFL roster in each of the last 7 years (2013-19, albeit with 7 different teams). Additionally, up to four players with no more than two accrued seasons will also be eligible for the practice squad. However, most of the practice squad positions on most teams are still being filled by players with no accrued experience, or players who have been active for fewer than nine NFL games.

The talent dropoff for Miami NFLers is pretty dramatic from 5-10 years ago. Once guys like Olsen started getting older, and guys like Dre, Lewis and Big Vince retired, we haven't replaced them with the same level of players. Jimmy Graham was hot for a few years, I had my hopes out that Duke would be special in the NFL, but his frame always was a limiting factor.

Lots of serviceable, even quality players. But very few breakout stars nowadays. Our 15-year slump as a bigtime college program is really showing up now.

Advertisement
Back