Pride

Did you skip the corporate governance classes?

Just to jog your memory, this "Yale MBA" character is the same guy who got into an argument with you earlier in the year, when you made a (factually correct) comment about the Orange Bowl being a rented facility.

He started yapping about the OB being a "purpose built" facility for UM (nope) and how it was common for cities/counties to build football stadiums for private universities (nope nope).

The truth is that George Merrick's design for the City of Coral Gables and the UM campus was intended to have a football stadium in the middle of our campus where Lake Osceola sits today. That was the plan in 1926 when UM was founded, and that was the plan in 1936 when construction began on the Orange Bowl. UM did not build Lake Osceola until 1947, when it sold the dirt to the builders of the Rickenbacker Causeway, using the money to finish construction on the Merrick Building.

The City of Miami built the Orange Bowl to host the Orange Bowl game. UM was always intended to be a temporary tenant. But make no mistake, UM paid rent to use the Orange Bowl.

It's just ridiculous to blame a tenant for the building owner's decision to tear it down and build something different. But, hey, I'm sure Mr. "Yale MBA" is going to tell us how "common" it is for tenants to be blamed for the landlord's decisions, and how the UM Board of Trustees should be blamed too, because they bear ultimate responsibility.

Advertisement
to be the best, you have to have a 0 loss record, maybe 1 loss, in todays game. i agree with OP. we can barely hold court against 2nd tier ACC teams. Give me a zero loss record and lets play Fla Atlantic. we will still be top 5.

If you think anyone that cares about football on the BOT (there are only a very few BOT members that have influence regarding football) is happy with that last game, or its implications, you have lost your last critical thinking brain cells.

People need to stop pretending they know anything about the BOT other than the few meaningless snippets they get in the media.
I have questions about this. As a frame of reference I graduated in 2008. Back then, between Eichhorst and Hocutt, volunteer opportunities for sports administration majors were few and far between. My question is, how many BOT members really have a say in football and do ones that don't like the sport have to vote on approval of contracts etc.? Does a firing just happen with the athletic director? can a big booster i.e. Dimare, go over James' head?

I have questions about this. As a frame of reference I graduated in 2008. Back then, between Eichhorst and Hocutt, volunteer opportunities for sports administration majors were few and far between. My question is, how many BOT members really have a say in football and do ones that don't like the sport have to vote on approval of contracts etc.? Does a firing just happen with the athletic director? can a big booster i.e. Dimare, go over James' head?

They have their own internal rules and governance protocols which I am not privy to. There is probably some form of voting system, in which Frenk probably has some kind of final say or veto power.

The bottom line is only a very few, maybe 2-3 carry a big stick, when it comes to football.

As it relates to James, the buck stops at him and in my opinion he is on the hot seat due to lack of sustained succcess of the football program as well as other major programs.

Some may think it is apocryphal, but I have a strong belief based on numerous factors, that the “rumor” that Blake did not want to, and was not ready, to fire Gluten after the Clemson game (he wanted to decide after the season) was true, and that Blake was pressured/forced to fire Golden that Sunday/Monday. Pressure that was brought by certain key BOT members. So in times of great need, they can step in.

Blake James mantra for years has been some slogan with “excellence and/or champions” in it. Have we achieved that in any of the major sports during his tenure? Is it “Building Champions”....has he done that?

Even if Manny figures it out and succeeds, I am not in the least bit impressed with his results or leadership. If Manny figures it out, Blake will have lucked out on a desperate, seat of the pants, no search, blindfoldedHail Mary.

Allow me to add a bit to what OCCC posted (and, for the record, Beta Blake is "BuildING Champions" which, in theory, could go on forever, he never actually has to FINISH building champions)...

There are some Trustees who are naturally more connected to sports than others (take a look at the list, you'll recognize some names). While UM has between 80 and 100 Trustees, it's not a situation where most/all of them are regularly involved in hire/fire decisions or "big picture/direction of the athletic department" debates.

However, when issues come before the BoT, any of them can participate. It is my understanding that when Butch's name came up as a potential hire recently, it was largely "Emeritus" Trustees (who were "regular" Trustees in 2000-2001) who harbored resentment over Butch's contract negotiations and whatnot.

The real key to all of this (which RightSaidFred will never acknowledge) is that the BoT must-Must-MUST hire an AD who has vision and who can execute. It's not really the BoT's "job" to run the Athletic Department, nor are they very good at it, regardless of their "ultimate responsibility" role in university governance.

Paul Dee was VERY powerful at UM, but he used his power judiciously. Fortunately for Dee, before being named AD, he was the university's General Counsel, so there was A LOT of trust between the BoT and Dee. That is why you will have some nervous nellie Trustees if they ever encounter a candidate who asks for a lot of power (but has no track record at UM). I've heard Hocuntt felt like he wasn't granted the same power that Dee had. The Shermanator was a disaster. And Beta Blake has BACKED INTO the power, since he had a UM employment track record, but NOT because he had earned it with great moves of his own.

This is why I believe that a UM alum such as Gino or Alonzo would be a good fit (and why newbie Jankovich rubbed the BoT and Foote the wrong way). It's hard for the BoT to be mad AT A UM ALUM for trying to make UM better. There's a lot more distrust when a recently hired "outsider" AD tries to do a lot of weird stuff, and Dave Maggot was a PERFECT example.

Here, I'll give you the name of a guy who would be a PERFECT hire - Irwin Raij. I don't think he'd ever take the job, but at least he has a house nearby. Another guy who could do the job IF HE WANTED IT is Richt.

I'd love to see UM hire some great external candidate, but I'm not sure that the BoT has created the environment that would make the UM AD job incredibly attractive. So we have to either change the oversight structure and/or get very, very lucky if/when we replace Beta Blake.

Advertisement
....the BoT must-Must-MUST hire an AD who has vision and who can execute. It's not really the BoT's "job" to run the Athletic Department, nor are they very good at it, regardless of their "ultimate responsibility" role in university governance...

If anyone wants to take anything away from this post, I suggest this is the cornerstone point

Allow me to add a bit to what OCCC posted (and, for the record, Beta Blake is "BuildING Champions" which, in theory, could go on forever, he never actually has to FINISH building champions)...

There are some Trustees who are naturally more connected to sports than others (take a look at the list, you'll recognize some names). While UM has between 80 and 100 Trustees, it's not a situation where most/all of them are regularly involved in hire/fire decisions or "big picture/direction of the athletic department" debates.

However, when issues come before the BoT, any of them can participate. It is my understanding that when Butch's name came up as a potential hire recently, it was largely "Emeritus" Trustees (who were "regular" Trustees in 2000-2001) who harbored resentment over Butch's contract negotiations and whatnot.

The real key to all of this (which RightSaidFred will never acknowledge) is that the BoT must-Must-MUST hire an AD who has vision and who can execute. It's not really the BoT's "job" to run the Athletic Department, nor are they very good at it, regardless of their "ultimate responsibility" role in university governance.

Paul Dee was VERY powerful at UM, but he used his power judiciously. Fortunately for Dee, before being named AD, he was the university's General Counsel, so there was A LOT of trust between the BoT and Dee. That is why you will have some nervous nellie Trustees if they ever encounter a candidate who asks for a lot of power (but has no track record at UM). I've heard Hocuntt felt like he wasn't granted the same power that Dee had. The Shermanator was a disaster. And Beta Blake has BACKED INTO the power, since he had a UM employment track record, but NOT because he had earned it with great moves of his own.

This is why I believe that a UM alum such as Gino or Alonzo would be a good fit (and why newbie Jankovich rubbed the BoT and Foote the wrong way). It's hard for the BoT to be mad AT A UM ALUM for trying to make UM better. There's a lot more distrust when a recently hired "outsider" AD tries to do a lot of weird stuff, and Dave Maggot was a PERFECT example.

Here, I'll give you the name of a guy who would be a PERFECT hire - Irwin Raij. I don't think he'd ever take the job, but at least he has a house nearby. Another guy who could do the job IF HE WANTED IT is Richt.

I'd love to see UM hire some great external candidate, but I'm not sure that the BoT has created the environment that would make the UM AD job incredibly attractive. So we have to either change the oversight structure and/or get very, very lucky if/when we replace Beta Blake.

There are a bunch of other interesting points here regarding the ideal candidate for an athletic director. I’m just too lazy right now to discuss it. But you bring up some excellent discussion points

They have their own internal rules and governance protocols which I am not privy to. There is probably some form of voting system, in which Frenk probably has some kind of final say or veto power.

The bottom line is only a very few, maybe 2-3 carry a big stick, when it comes to football.

As it relates to James, the buck stops at him and in my opinion he is on the hot seat due to lack of sustained succcess of the football program as well as other major programs.

Some may think it is apocryphal, but I have a strong belief based on numerous factors, that the “rumor” that Blake did not want to, and was not ready, to fire Gluten after the Clemson game (he wanted to decide after the season) was true, and that Blake was pressured/forced to fire Golden that Sunday/Monday. Pressure that was brought by certain key BOT members. So in times of great need, they can step in.

Blake James mantra for years has been some slogan with “excellence and/or champions” in it. Have we achieved that in any of the major sports during his tenure? Is it “Building Champions”....has he done that?

Even if Manny figures it out and succeeds, I am not in the least bit impressed with his results or leadership. If Manny figures it out, Blake will have lucked out on a desperate, seat of the pants, no search, blindfoldedHail Mary.

Question for you OG;

What’s ur impression of Blake as a “fund raiser” for the AD?

Advertisement
My appetite for the bowl game ended at UNC and when Manny said the team was exhausted.
Why would I look forward to a bowl when we're exhausted?
I'll watch, of course, but these finishes -- in '17, 18, 19....are weirding me out.
And before you blast me with self-righteousness, just know that I sat in the freezing cold for 3 hours at Yankee Stadium and watched a completely lethargic team get stomped on by Wisconsin.
I'm a Cane fanatic and I have hope for the the future but right now....
I was at the pine stripe bowl as well lol. What a great venue and pre game only to be ruined by a **** poor performance!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back