Preston Dewey - back injury - career over

From the University of Miami...
"Following consultations with doctors in Miami and in Texas, it was determined that I am no longer able to play football because of my back injury. We have scheduled surgery for December and I am looking forward to getting better. I have decided to remain at the University of Miami to complete my education. I would like to thank Coach Golden for the opportunity to be a part of the Hurricanes football program, the future is bright for this team. Obviously this is a very sad time for me, but I will continue to be a supporter of this team and these coaches; and I will be a Hurricane for life."

Much respect. Kid earned a football scholarship to the university of miami. Major accomplishment. Hope the best for this kid.

Advertisement
From the University of Miami...
"Following consultations with doctors in Miami and in Texas, it was determined that I am no longer able to play football because of my back injury. We have scheduled surgery for December and I am looking forward to getting better. I have decided to remain at the University of Miami to complete my education. I would like to thank Coach Golden for the opportunity to be a part of the Hurricanes football program, the future is bright for this team. Obviously this is a very sad time for me, but I will continue to be a supporter of this team and these coaches; and I will be a Hurricane for life."

Cane for life, wish the kid the best moving forward.

Good luck Preston and keep your head up brotha, life goes on after football.

Put me in the category that applauds the UM football staff and/or whoever was involved in the decision to allow him to keep his scholarship.

I have to wonder if this kid might be a potential future coach in the industry.

Advertisement
Put me in the category that applauds the UM football staff and/or whoever was involved in the decision to allow him to keep his scholarship.

I have to wonder if this kid might be a potential future coach in the industry.

Hedge fund manager FTW.

With all the publicity about Oklahoma State and their lack of scholarship commitment to players they deem not worthy, particularly Artrell Woods, this says a lot about Miami.
I'm sure that parents of recruits will take notice.
Kid is out of football but Miami is still honoring his 4 year ride.
Classy.

According to Woods, Gundy didn’t like Woods’ attitude and didn’t see a future for Woods playing football at OSU. Woods admitted his attitude may have been bad, which he attributed to frustration resulting from his long recovery period.

“I at least was gonna find out whether or not I can play again. To my understanding I wasn’t ever going to find that Oklahoma State ever again.”
Woods was placed on a medical exemption, which meant he could continue to hold a scholarship and finish school. Woods said he took the decision as disrespect for the work he had put in to get back on the field. He was used as the feel-good story of the year in 2008 and now he wouldn’t be on the team the next season.

“That meeting changed my life,” Woods said. “That meeting is the only reason I asked for a release.”

Woods was granted a release from his scholarship and made the decision to transfer to Central Oklahoma and finish his play career. Woods caught 34 passes for 343 yards in two seasons with the Broncos.
I don't see a problem with how OSU handled him. When a kid admits that his attitude "may have been bad", it means it was bad. The kid was put on medical exemption scholarship, then "he" asked for his release. There are probably hundreds of good example of how kids are used and mistreated. I don't think this is one of them.

Advertisement
Back