2024 Prentiss "Air" Noland 4* QB from GA (Langston Hughes - Commits to Buckeyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To summarize…………Pay them **** YOU LEVELS OF MONEY

In another thread a poster quoted "Flo" as saying it was going to come down to which school offered more NIL $$$. Now if that's true and OSU offered a bigger NIL deal, that is unf#ckingacceptable. So not only do they have a better track record recently for getting QBs drafted, but also dropping bigger bags for a recruit who could interest top WRs? I thought hiring Cristobal was supposed to indicate we were going to be playing in the big leagues again?

Advertisement
Osu has Devin Brown and Kienholz who are both power 5 starter types in the 22/23 classes. I know you have to stack talent as some transfer, some don’t pan out, etc. But we seem like the only school that doesn’t have great success with “Dream School” hopefully we can change that.
Miami is nowhere near OSU's league at the moment. They have been one of the best college football programs in the 21st century. Meanwhile, the current recruits weren't even born the last time Miami was a legitimate top program. It shouldn't be surprising that they can stack talent at positions that Miami struggles to recruit

🖕🏼 Osu… they own SFL and Mario..

Advertisement
Between the 10~ four and five star kids who decommit/flip each year, to how many highly ranked guys end up in the portal, to how many top kids just plain flop, the odds of getting an elite early QB commit and having him become a high level starter at your school eventually are pretty **** small these days.

I'm too lazy and busy to take a dive into the data but I would guess that around 85-90% of QB's never end up playing up to their ranking at the first school they commit to. Flips, transfers, busts ftw.
I once did an analysis on Texas quarterback recruiting from Vince Younng onward and it was stunning how many elite quarterbacks that they had signed - a lot - and how many were busts.

Advertisement
In another thread a poster quoted "Flo" as saying it was going to come down to which school offered more NIL $$$. Now if that's true and OSU offered a bigger NIL deal, that is unf#ckingacceptable. So not only do they have a better track record recently for getting QBs drafted, but also dropping bigger bags for a recruit who could interest top WRs? I thought hiring Cristobal was supposed to indicate we were going to be playing in the big leagues again?
OSU missed on other QB’s, I believe; therefore, they prioritized bringing Air in and possibly overspent to get him because our offer was solid. Every program has a budget and prioritizes positions differently. Ask A&M if they are getting value for their buck. Miami is not going to over spend in recruiting or in the portal. Especially, not for positions with high risks for busts like QB. Don’t be surprise if we invest in the portal for QB’s who are already established. You can calm down, we will be good.

OSU missed on other QB’s, I believe; therefore, they prioritized bringing Air in and possibly overspent to get him because our offer was solid. Every program has a budget and prioritizes positions differently. Ask A&M if they are getting value for their buck. Miami is not going to over spend in recruiting or in the portal. Especially, not for positions with high risks for busts like QB. Don’t be surprise if we invest in the portal for QB’s who are already established. You can calm down, we will be good.
I think you can't discount the fact this kid really wanted OSU. This likely played a big factor, regardless of NIL. I don't think OSU would have had to be the best offer..

I get that but there are a couple of issues with this for me. 1) even with the high bust ratio, QB is still a position I would overpay on. It’s the most important position in the game. I think this is magnified even more when you consider our position. Mario’s image needs a quick retooling on offense with recruits. Sure these QBs may bust but they do bring hype to your recruiting and a player like Noland would 100% have an impact on Wrs, a position we struggled with last year. Now the guy trying to wrangle them in is Judd. Not ideal. 2) Taint has QB talent on their roster, and they have a great recent history on identifying and developing QBs at the college level for the college game. If they thought overpaying for Noland makes sense, that raises an eyebrow at least for me.

Advertisement
I get that but there are a couple of issues with this for me. 1) even with the high bust ratio, QB is still a position I would overpay on. It’s the most important position in the game. I think this is magnified even more when you consider our position. Mario’s image needs a quick retooling on offense with recruits. Sure these QBs may bust but they do bring hype to your recruiting and a player like Noland would 100% have an impact on Wrs, a position we struggled with last year. Now the guy trying to wrangle them in is Judd. Not ideal. 2) Taint has QB talent on their roster, and they have a great recent history on identifying and developing QBs at the college level for the college game. If they thought overpaying for Noland makes sense, that raises an eyebrow at least for me.
Easy to say that when it’s not your money. Air is going to sit on the bench for at least a year, most likely 2. If I am a business, how much $ would I be willing to pay for a guy who may not see the field right away and there is no guarantee he will be any good. My understanding is Miami going to be careful with what they offer players in NIL. Positions like OL, DL, WR, DB will be prioritized.

Easy to say that when it’s not your money. Air is going to sit on the bench for at least a year, most likely 2. If I am a business, how much $ would I be willing to pay for a guy who may not see the field right away and there is no guarantee he will be any good. My understanding is Miami going to be careful with what they offer players in NIL. Positions like OL, DL, WR, DB will be prioritized.
Of course it’s not my money but that doesn’t change the line of thinking. I’m responding as of thought it was. QBs see the field very early all the time, plus outside of WR this usually applies to all the positions you just mentioned as well. Mauigoa looks like he will play as a freshman but that has more to do with our OL being doo doo. In the end this is what Mario and staff have determined they want to do, so be it. I’m just going on record that I would overspend on a QB when 1) it’s the most important position 2) after TVD the room is a giant question mark and 3) they will help with WR recruiting.

It’s only April so we have time, but this just comes off as spin. Even talking about the portal is puzzling. Mario hasn’t exactly owned the portal. We had some decent pickups this year but last year when we desperately needed a WR1 we didn’t get him and this year there are still holes that haven’t been addressed. The portal isnt always a guaranteed solution. We aren’t getting Air, fine it is what it is, but we need a QB1 still cause Judd is a project.

Last edited:
Of course it’s not my money but that doesn’t change the line of thinking. I’m responding as of thought it was. QBs see the field very early all the time, plus outside of WR this usually applies to all the positions you just mentioned as well. Mauigoa looks like he will play as a freshman but that has more to do with our OL being doo doo. In the end this is what Mario and staff have determined they want to do, so be it. I’m just going on record that I would overspend on a QB when 1) it’s the most important position 2) after TVD the room is a giant question mark and 3) they will help with WR recruiting.

It’s only April so we have time, but this just comes off as spin. Even talking about the portal is puzzling. Mario hasn’t exactly owned the portal. We had some decent picks up this year but last year when we desperately needed a WR1 we didn’t get him and this year there are still holes that haven’t been addressed. The portal is always a guaranteed solution. We aren’t getting Air, fine it is what it is, but we need a QB1 still cause Judd is a project.
I agree with your first paragraph... My thinking is the 2024 cycle is the one Mario NEEDS to overpay if that's what it takes to get a top shelf QB. It's been a struggle getting the better skill guys; partially because the offense sucked last year and I think partially because no QB on the roster has shown anything in a long, long time..... TVD may have been injured but what JB (and Garcia, although he is irrelevant right now) showed in his absence did nothing to inspire confidence in the class being recruited right now. We also took an unknown last cycle in Emory Williams. Now Judd Anderson. Both of them may ultimately turn out to be very good QBs but they aren't moving the needle in the minds of recruits right now.... IDC how you spin it, name recognition for QBs is important... Especially for WR..

I hope there's another commit popping soon and that it's a big one...

May I add that i miss basketball right now....sigh

Advertisement
Let’s say it took $7M to get Air Noland. He can’t play until 2024. Are you willing to bump Tyler up to $7M or above in the meantime…because he is playing until 2023. Or at least until he transfers out of offense that an incoming freshman is making (x) amount more than him.

By the way, I'm assuming our staff is aware of the bukkake relationship SFE 7v7 coaches have with OSU, correct? I mean its painfully obvious to not notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back