2024 Prentiss "Air" Noland 4* QB from GA (Langston Hughes - Commits to Buckeyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This cycle has a different feel to it. Getting commitments now is huge, so I don’t want to downplay but realistically none of this matters.

Noland could commit to OSU or Miami this weekend, doesn’t matter either way. The honeymoon stage in Miami is over, time to produce. The best recruiter for Canes this year will be on the field. Want a top 10 class? Win.
Not sure if its that different. Its still way early and Miami will get theirs. The importance of this one as has been discussed is that 1) QB1 is and will always continue to be the most important recruit 2) Unlike last year where our QB1 wasnt a leader, Noland is a leader and he would help add a major spark to Mario's already potent approach. Miami will be fine but getting Noland would get the machine really going.

Advertisement
Not sure if its that different. Its still way early and Miami will get theirs. The importance of this one as has been discussed is that 1) QB1 is and will always continue to be the most important recruit 2) Unlike last year where our QB1 wasnt a leader, Noland is a leader and he would help add a major spark to Mario's already potent approach. Miami will be fine but getting Noland would get the machine really going.
Agreed which is why I don’t want to downplay commitments (especially of that magnitude). But realistically if Miami goes 5-7 to 7-5 Noland won’t be committed come DEC anyway.

You can get away with crap results on the field during a bump class strictly off vision and buying in. Year 2 with now your 2nd OC in as many seasons? You fail again and that vision is harder to sell than a 2003 Civic with 337,000 miles.

If we don't get him, at least we made them break the bank. Obviously rather have him to the good guys but at least the message is sent that if you want come after someone leaning our way it wont be easy and it wont be cheap.

Advertisement
Yeah that's a concern for me. Let's say TVD has an excellent year and goes to the draft. Well now then teams can ask elite WRs, "Who is going to throw you the ball in Miami?" So then we miss on those elite WRs, and the top QB recruits, in turn, aren't going to be interested because they don't see WR1 on the roster. It's a catch 22. And IMO the only way to get out of the downward spiral is to wildly overpay for the skill positions. It doesn't have to happen every year, but it has to happen at least once. Offer an eye watering NIL deal to a #1 WR and an elite QB, then it will be much easier to land them in the future without having to offer nearly as much.
I think David Lake and Gabby put it well on a recent podcast... maybe some of the other QBs Miami is looking at turn out just as good or better than Noland in the long run, but so far all of the ones they are rumored to have a chance with do not create a recruiting momentum like Noland likely would.

Same thing with last year... maybe Emory turns out to be a very good QB but that doesn't do Miami any good until he plays which would (barring any injuries to TVD) likely be Fall 24 at the earliest which did not do us any good with last year's recruits, this year's recruits and would likely have a limited impact on the 2025 recruits since most of them will probably have places mind prior to Emory taking a snap.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'd add a 3)... there is a growing narrative about QB recruiting/development being a bit of a blind spot for Mario. Getting a spring commit for a QB recruit of this quality over OSU, Bama, Clemson, TAMU, and Oregon (among others) would have helped push back against that narrative.

Yeah, I guess this what 2nd place recruiting and being a gator feels like... :(
college gameday sport GIF

I'd add a 3)... there is a growing narrative about QB recruiting/development being a bit of a blind spot for Mario

I don't think it's a "growing narrative", it's the current perception. Oregon fans thought he was committing recruiting malpractice with his QB recruiting. Cristobal probably doesn't care about the narrative, but the perception is reality.

Advertisement
Not over yet.
these next 24 hours are crucial. There are reasons why the OSU mods sound a bit nervous right now. I'm not predicting anything .. but let's just say when I said "It was not over yet" a couple of days ago, it was because as things got closer to his announcement, things that hadn't occurred behind the scenes would happen. They are happening .... we will see if that's enough though.

Win lose or draw Miami is now a recruiting force. All these schools will have to bleed to keep the guys we want. We are on an offensive and sure we will lose some. But we will get our cut big time. See last year with Bryant, Okunlola, , Aguirre, Mauigoa, Wayne. Teams will need to see how much they value their dudes and we will make it **** for them in every aspect.

With Noland, the games have begun TODAY. 0-0. Play ball.

I think David Lake and Gabby put it well on a recent podcast... maybe some of the other QBs Miami is looking at turn out just as good or better than Noland in the long run, but so far all of the ones they are rumored to have a chance with do not create a recruiting momentum like Noland likely would.

Same thing with last year... maybe Emory turns out to be a very good QB but that doesn't do Miami any good until he plays which would (barring any injuries to TVD) likely be Fall 24 at the earliest which did not do us any good with last year's recruits, this year's recruits and would likely have a limited impact on the 2025 recruits since most of them will probably have places mind prior to Emory taking a snap.

QB recruiting is such a crapshoot. Or maybe we should say the websites can't evaluate for ****. The Athletic re-ranked the class of 2020 QB's based on how they turned out so far, in their opinion:

Revised top 10 (with original HS ranking):

1. Bryce Young, Alabama

Original ranking: No. 1 QB (No. 2 overall)

2. C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

Original ranking: No. 3 QB (No. 42 overall)

3. Michael Pratt, Tulane

Original ranking: No. 82 QB (No. 1,365 overall)

4. Will Rogers, Mississippi State

Original ranking: No. 22 QB (No. 605 overall)

5. Anthony Richardson, Florida

Original rank: No. 15 QB (No. 204 overall)

6. Jayden de Laura, Arizona (via Washington State)

Original rank: No. 34 QB (No. 462 overall)

7. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami

Original rank: No. 7 QB (No. 222 overall)

8. Blake Shapen, Baylor

Original rank: No. 52 QB (No. 747 overall)

9. Will Howard, Kansas State

Original rank: No. 59 QB (No. 888 overall)

10. DJ Uiagalelei, Oregon State (via Clemson)

Original rank: No. 2 QB (No. 10 overall)

So according to them the best QB signees, in order, were ranked #1, #3, #82, #22, #15, #34, #7, #52, #59, #10.

More guys outside the top 20 panned out as top 10 talents than guys within the original top 10. The average would be a guy who was ranked as the #29 QB in America.

These are additional Class of 2020 quarterbacks who are potentially entering a good situation/ may be in line for significant playing time this year:

Carson Beck, Georgia (No. 19, No. 250 overall)
Chandler Morris, TCU via Oklahoma (No. 32, No. 448 overall)
Hudson Card, Purdue via Texas (No. 4, No. 59 overall)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think it's a "growing narrative", it's the current perception. Oregon fans thought he was committing recruiting malpractice with his QB recruiting. Cristobal probably doesn't care about the narrative, but the perception is reality.

Yeah, I was probably being too kind. It's at least part of his current perception as a coach/recruiter. And you are absolutely correct that if that's the perception out there, it's going to be used against him until he changes it.

these next 24 hours are crucial. There are reasons why the OSU mods sound a bit nervous right now. I'm not predicting anything .. but let's just say when I said "It was not over yet" a couple of days ago, it was because as things got closer to his announcement, things that hadn't occurred behind the scenes would happen. They are happening .... we will see if that's enough though.

Win lose or draw Miami is now a recruiting force. All these schools will have to bleed to keep the guys we want. We are on an offensive and sure we will lose some. But we will get our cut big time. See last year with Bryant, Okunlola, , Aguirre, Mauigoa, Wayne. Teams will need to see how much they value their dudes and we will make it **** for them in every aspect.

With Noland, the games have begun TODAY. 0-0. Play ball.
Believe Merry Christmas GIF by Lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back