Predicting the 'most improved' college football teams for 20

sitzee

Freshman

There are pros and cons to making a "most improved" list.

If you are a glass-half-full guy, improvement means you are trending in the right direction.

If you are a glass-half-empty guy, to be on a most improved list means you likely weren't in great shape in the first place.

(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)
Regardless, Phil Steele has released his list of the 15 teams he expects to be most improved in the 2015 college football season.

There are some big names on the list, like Texas, Miami and Michigan.

There are some smaller schools, too, like Akron and Ball State.

Below is the list - ranked in order - of Steele's most improved teams for 2015. In order to qualify, a team couldnt have a winning record last season. We have included their win-loss record from 2014 in parenthesis for reference.

1. University of Miami (6-7)
2. Akron (5-7)
3. Michigan (5-7)
4. Pittsburgh (6-7)
5. Indiana (4-8)
6. Temple (6-6)
7. Texas (6-7)
8. Northwestern (5-7)
9. Ball State (5-70
10. Colorado (2-10)
11. Ohio University (6-6)
12. California (5-7)
13. Middle Tennessee (6-6)
14. Massachusetts (3-9)
15. North Carolina (6-7)

Phil Steel has got The U as #1 ?

At first I thought the school might've been behind getting Steele to make The U #1 , so they could say what a great job Golden did.. But, as I think about it maybe it was a fan that wants to get rid of Golden (Nothing would be sweeter) and they were able to convince Steele to make The U #1 on his list..

Truth is it doesn't matter if anyone got to Steele, the sweet thing about the article is, it puts Golden & The U on notice... No more Excuses!!! Golden can't say he doesn't have the depth, or there's not enough experienced players, because according to Steele we are the most improved Team with a losing record..

Predicting the 'most improved' college football teams for 2015

Advertisement
i dont think anyone influenced the prediction behind closed doors, i read that section of his pre season mag in the store and steele has had a pretty good track record , last year his most improved pick was TCU and they almost made the 4 team playoff. i'm not expecting them to have that level of success but hey

I think the general consensus is that Miami has reached the point where it has to turn the corner, or the staff will be, and should be, fired. While we lost some great starters, this year's team should be better than last year's largely on having better depth throughout most position groups, with lots of young backups that have game experience now. We cycled in a lot of true freshmen last year. This year even those not starting will be able to provide more effective minutes, especially as a game wears on and starters get tired. Definitely a do-or-die year for Golden.

Interesting ...

People seem to think Steele really knows his stuff, so maybe this is the season Al turns things around?

I don't think Al has shown anything in his coaching background that suggests he really can, but maybe the stars will align, and we/he will start the ascent?

If Golden does turn things around, I can't wait to read all of the "never had a doubt he could do it" posts. Should be a record number of "new" posters who really aren't new ... LOL

Advertisement
No depth on the Offensive line is a cause for concern

True, that the big question mark compared to last year's team. Hopefully the improvements in the other units will make up for it, and some of the inexperienced OL will pan out.

You could say the same thing about the QB position.

But if the OL and QB stay healthy, neither are an issue, IMO.

Kaaya playing behind McDermott, Gall, Linder, Isidora, and Darling is a quality group.

If you are a glass-half-full guy, improvement means you are trending in the right direction.

If you are a glass-half-empty guy, to be on a most improved list means you likely weren't in great shape in the first place.

Regardless, Phil Steele has released his list of the 15 teams he expects to be most improved in the 2015 college football season.

Below is the list - ranked in order - of Steele's most improved teams for 2015. In order to qualify, a team couldnt have a winning record last season. We have included their win-loss record from 2014 in parenthesis for reference.

2. Akron (5-7)
3. Michigan (5-7)
4. Pittsburgh (6-7)
5. Indiana (4-8)
6. Temple (6-6)
7. Texas (6-7)
8. Northwestern (5-7)
9. Ball State (5-70
10. Colorado (2-10)
12. California (5-7)
14. Massachusetts (3-9)
15. North Carolina (6-7)

At first I thought the school might've been behind getting Steele to make The U #1 , so they could say what a great job Golden did.. But, as I think about it maybe it was a fan that wants to get rid of Golden (Nothing would be sweeter) and they were able to convince Steele to make The U #1 on his list..

Truth is it doesn't matter if anyone got to Steele, the sweet thing about the article is, it puts Golden & The U on notice... No more Excuses!!! Golden can't say he doesn't have the depth, or there's not enough experienced players, because according to Steele we are the most improved Team with a losing record..

It's a sad day when Miami is on a list with these teams. I call this "Rock Bottom"

Advertisement
You could say the same thing about the QB position.

But if the OL and QB stay healthy, neither are an issue, IMO.

Kaaya playing behind McDermott, Gall, Linder, Isidora, and Darling is a quality group.

True, but QB depth was an issue last year as well, so that hasn't changed. OL depth is a newer concern, though the talent is there, just not the experience.

Al Golden will be fired after a miserable 2015 season. It's not his players. We have plenty good players, just look at the draft.

It's his systems and his defensive schemes. His offense is crazy conservative and he doesn't allow players to use basic natural instinct. He makes these 18 year old kids think too much instead of just making a play

6-6 AT BEST

I'm just curious to know the reason behind his choice of Miami. He's not an idiot he is obviously aware of how bad Golden has been. So why?
If there is a write up about each team and why he chose them could someone please share.

Marshall was his choice for last year at #1 .. they did alright

I think the general consensus is that Miami has reached the point where it has to turn the corner, or the staff will be, and should be, fired. While we lost some great starters, this year's team should be better than last year's largely on having better depth throughout most position groups, with lots of young backups that have game experience now. We cycled in a lot of true freshmen last year. This year even those not starting will be able to provide more effective minutes, especially as a game wears on and starters get tired. Definitely a do-or-die year for Golden.

I actually thought the same thing last year. Hopefully it all clicks this year. We have the talent to easily win 10 games and the ACC. I pray to God we click on all cylinders with as minimal injuries if none at all.

Advertisement
I'm just curious to know the reason behind his choice of Miami. He's not an idiot he is obviously aware of how bad Golden has been. So why?
If there is a write up about each team and why he chose them could someone please share.

Marshall was his choice for last year at #1 .. they did alright

You don't want logic. Just read this board and others. It's doom and gloom. We suck. Five wins yo. :ignore2:

Steele does about a good job as any when it comes to prognosticating the coming season. Like an earlier poster said, he's hit the nail on the head with TCU and Marshall(2 losses last year between them) as well as plenty of others. He doesn't just pick the obvious big name teams, he does his homework. If he was predicting we would be awful, everyone would be running to this thread to say Phil Steele knows his stuff bro.

Advertisement

2. Akron (5-7)
3. Michigan (5-7)
4. Pittsburgh (6-7)
5. Indiana (4-8)
6. Temple (6-6)
7. Texas (6-7)
8. Northwestern (5-7)
9. Ball State (5-70
10. Colorado (2-10)
12. California (5-7)
14. Massachusetts (3-9)
15. North Carolina (6-7)

Oh at first you thought the school was behind it then you thought it was a fan's master plan to convince Phil Steele Miami would have a better record in 2015?

LMAO porst of the year.

Last edited:
Steele is probably looking at the roster and sees that we are more talented than every team we play except for FSU and Clemson. He also sees a QB with a lot of potential. It's natural to think we will have significant improvement when looking at the roster and the schedule. But we had the same exact scenario last year and we **** the bed. He probably also thinks if we didn't lose to FSU last year our record would have been much better (which I don't think is the case). All those factors can lead to that conclusion.

But
OLine lacks experience and depth
WRs leave a lot to be desired
TE is a problem
RB is questionable. Yearby is good but that's it.

Dline is good but we will see
LBs lack depth
DBs lack depth

QB is good but James Coley is the OC
Dorito is still the DC
Lastly Al Golden is still the HC and special teams coach.

Add all that up and you get a ****** season IMO.

If Steele was such a genius prognosticator he'd be rolling in dough killing it in Vegas instead of schlocking his lame mail order rag on Bill King's internet show. The dude makes college picks every week and only does as well as all the other dopey touts (right around 50%).

Advertisement
Back