Predicting Kevin Harris to Miami on Tuesday

I don't know where the heck you work or if you deal with people who have degrees on a daily basis, but I work in a company with a few thousand folks and there are degrees from everywhere. My old boss' son went to Alabama, then got a Masters from UNC, and is now working for Goldman Sachs, making a ton. I don't know what you guys think a degree from some of these schools you bash is worth but its alot more than you think. There are a ton of folks here with degrees from places you flippantly bash cause it must make you feel better somehow. But its not at all the reality.

Yes a degree from a school versus another can be better and there are outliers where if you get a degree from Harvard or Penn you definitely stick out......but otherwise, its still valued.

Its called marketability. I even said a degree was never worthless. Who cares what your company has or your old boss's son did. I'm assuming he wasn't a football player which we are talking about and of course a lot of career placement can depend on the program or degree you get, the job prospects for that degree in an area or nationally and the grades you recieve.

All things being equal, a student typically has more opportunities and connections to "get into the door" in the area where they went to school. If you are a football player from Mimai and you have a degree from the U or another school, it isn't crazy to assume they will have better opportunities in the city of Miami. Thats not saying a degree from bama is worthless or they wont be successful (again, that depends on a number of factors), but you want to give yourself the best chance. Bama may give the best opportunity for football(at the moment)but for everything else Miami is better and that is not going to change.

Which is exactly what recruits down here should be hearing. It's very nice you are defending Bama by giving the universally obvious take that it is possible to go anywhere with a degree in anything. But you want to play the best odds and that's Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's be real...a Miami degree is much better than a Bama degree but Bama's network is a MILLION TIMES stronger than Miami. Miami doesn't do much of anything for their former players when it comes to jobs and careers after football. Bama athletes are ensured and I mean ENSURED really really good jobs if their career doesn't pan out and when their playing careers are over. Their football network is more than just coming back to watch practice.............those guys are living GREAT without having made NFL money due to their network of helping their former football players.

Let's be real...a Miami degree is much better than a Bama degree but Bama's network is a MILLION TIMES stronger than Miami. Miami doesn't do much of anything for their former players when it comes to jobs and careers after football. Bama athletes are ensured and I mean ENSURED really really good jobs if their career doesn't pan out and when their playing careers are over. Their football network is more than just coming back to watch practice.............those guys are living GREAT without having made NFL money due to their network of helping their former football players.

Are you an employee of the Bama PR Dept?

Are you an employee of the Bama PR Dept?

No *****...I am the older brother of a former Miami Hurricane whose witnessed the lack of network for former football players by UM..its laughable.

Miami is getting better in ensuring former players are taken care of but it's nowhere near the SEC level.

Advertisement
their network for what?? so guys from south florida (not harris because he is from georgia) have to live in bum **** alabama and sell copy machines if they don't pan out??

Selling copy machines making 100k a year in Tuscaloosa bc the business is owned by a Bama alum which allows you to travel anywhere. You're at every alum function and like my friend that didn't play a lick in 5 years at Bama....you get to be in movies like Woodlawn which has now helped his acting career.

No *****...I am the older brother of a former Miami Hurricane whose witnessed the lack of network for former football players by UM..its laughable.

Miami is getting better in ensuring former players are taken care of but it's nowhere near the SEC level.
Sick

Selling copy machines making 100k a year in Tuscaloosa bc the business is owned by a Bama alum which allows you to travel anywhere. You're at every alum function and like my friend that didn't play a lick in 5 years at Bama....you get to be in movies like Woodlawn which has now helped his acting career.

You’re talking about a very tiny number of people..the exception is not the rule.

Tee, I’m glad some alums are getting taken care of up there. I’m glad for them.

This is a no bs post from me.

I’m a Miami alum also.

The alum network in south Florida is not an organized thing. It doesn’t need to be. But it’s a real thing.

I know quite a few ex football players in my narrow line of work down here. Six figures, a car, expenses. And that’s just my narrow field.

If an ex football player gets his degree and wants to put on a shirt, jacket, and tie, and can communicate, I can practically guarantee 6 figures and a car. I can coach anybody to that.

Sometimes people don’t know what they don’t know.

Advertisement
I don't know where the heck you work or if you deal with people who have degrees on a daily basis, but I work in a company with a few thousand folks and there are degrees from everywhere. My old boss' son went to Alabama, then got a Masters from UNC, and is now working for Goldman Sachs, making a ton. I don't know what you guys think a degree from some of these schools you bash is worth but its alot more than you think. There are a ton of folks here with degrees from places you flippantly bash cause it must make you feel better somehow. But its not at all the reality.

Yes a degree from a school versus another can be better and there are outliers where if you get a degree from Harvard or Penn you definitely stick out......but otherwise, its still valued.
It surprises me how lost on a lot of people this is. When you get outside the common alumni base the perception of most schools that aren’t in the Ivy League, a few top tier liberal arts schools and maybe Berkeley is pretty much a wash for undergrad as long as you aren’t talking about Marshall.

Big news on Uga sites in an extensive interview with Grayson coach revealed that there was a strong possibility that longtime Uga commit top lb Pappoe selected Auburn because Uga pulled his friend Kevin Harris scholly
Offer.

Big news on Uga sites in an extensive interview with Grayson coach revealed that there was a strong possibility that longtime Uga commit top lb Pappoe selected Auburn because Uga pulled his friend Kevin Harris scholly
Offer.

and FWIW, supposedly Nolan Smith said he would start looking again if Georgia signed another LB. That from info Ivins and some other mods heard too.

I think there was a lot of stuff going on with that recruitment that had nothing to do with UM

I’m a Miami alum also.

The alum network in south Florida is not an organized thing. It doesn’t need to be. But it’s a real thing.

I know quite a few ex football players in my narrow line of work down here. Six figures, a car, expenses. And that’s just my narrow field.

If an ex football player gets his degree and wants to put on a shirt, jacket, and tie, and can communicate, I can practically guarantee 6 figures and a car. I can coach anybody to that.

Amen

Advertisement
Hasn’t CMR specifically had events since he’s become coach at UM designed to get Canes football alumni to a job fair at the facility? I forget the name of it but I know it’s happened at least this year and last

It surprises me how lost on a lot of people this is. When you get outside the common alumni base the perception of most schools that aren’t in the Ivy League, a few top tier liberal arts schools and maybe Berkeley is pretty much a wash for undergrad as long as you aren’t talking about Marshall.

Dont bash Marshall unless you want to look stupid af

Advertisement

I’m a Miami alum also.

Respect bro.

Could be..I’m just passing on what I’ve seen.

Some guys are easier to help than others.

In the story I was reading about Tolbert Bain, I feel bad for him, but I would have a real hard time with him because he has a heroin conviction on his record. My experience is with UM guys that are Fortune 500 ready, or want to get there. The fact that they played football really helps in south Florida especially.

Certain guys like Shaq never have to worry because I can tell he already knows how to play the game. Other guys like Pinck need coaching, if they’re willing to be coached. Some aren’t.

... No, I'm just not disregarding the possibility that Harris actually met up with Saban. And in his meeting, Saban made a compelling argument and told him something like the following:

"hey, I think you're making a mistake."
"And here's why: because we are a better program."

"I'm sure you want to go the league, so why would you ever chose Miami over us?"
"Look here's the evidence. (compare Miami and Bama's recent NFL draft credentials)"

"Oh also, we develop players better because our staff is 3x the size as Miami's staff. We have 8 nutrionalists, 18 film analyzers, the best position coaches you can buy, etc. In fact, we just brought over Miami's position coach and they hired a former HS coach who has no track record of putting guys in the league."

"We also can assign you 3 personal tutors. You'll have all the individual help possible to ensure that you focus the majority of your time on football."

"I'm sure you want to win too (compare Miami's record to Bama's record in the past decade)."

Is it possible that Harris was persuaded? Followed his head instead of his heart?

What you are describing is largely a funding difference. We still have fans that think they should not have to contribute to the athletic fund or even the IPF because the school should pick up the tab so the fans can trash talk our rivals.

Advertisement
Back