Pre Season All American

Advertisement
I just don't care about preseason hype talk.

-"Canes are primed for a title run with Jacory Harris at QB! (After 2009)
-"We'll win 10 games with Al Golden!" (After 2013)
-"Kaaya is a first round QB! He will lead us" (After 2015)
-"Our defense will be a top 10 defense!" (After 2016)
-"Our offensive line is much more improved!" (every **** year)

At some point I just brush off the preseason hype because that's all it is. No one remembers the preseason all american, no one.

These preseason accolades very helpful, in my opinion. They get the College Gameday segments focused on our guys, which is free advertising for the program (and who looks better on TV than Canes unis?). And they are great for the players as a reward for the hard work they put in.

And I would disagree on the "no one remembers preseason AAs." This whole board blasted Derwin James for the love he got last year, which was all based on his preseason hype.

But the most important thing about preseason rankings (for the team, as opposed to the individuals; but individual accolades contribute to preseason ranking) is the perception, which leads to the ability to drop a game and not get slaughtered in the polls. Preseason No. 6 Miami that beats LSU and FSU but drops one to GT is in a lot better position than preseason No. 19 Miami that does the same thing.

Pops, I wasn't the biggest fan of the 3 starting as true freshmen, felt they were being rushed. But coaches had no choice, especially once Grace was dismissed and DO went down to injury. I had some concerns about his lateral movement with the added thickness last season. But it's just so obvious now that your boy is ready to be "the man" now. And he's going to end up there among the best in our pantheon of LB greats. When all is said and done in January, there will be no question Shaq deserves to be an AA.

That whole crew is going to shock people this year. Everyone has seen these guys for two seasons, so people (and hopefully opponents) probably think they know their capabilities. But for those of us who follow the team closely, we know the work Shaq and this unit have put in over the past year. I believe they're going to take as big a step forward this season as they did coming out of HS. And with the other units loaded with talent as well (Quan, Red, Thriller, Jacks, WIllis...), our defense is going to be a **** of a lot of fun to watch.

The end of year all Americans a lot of times where on preseason watch list. Obviously not always but this is a good thing. Not something to complain about!

Advertisement

At some point I just brush off the preseason hype because that's all it is. No one remembers the preseason all american, no one.

Non of that bs you mentioned has anything to do with the individual talent on this team.

We get it you're a woman trapped in a man's body... you pms worse than these bxtches

I'm not sure if there's a receiver in the country I'd take over a healthy Ahmmon Richards. The fact he's been plagued by injuries is depressing his nationwide perception but I have a feeling he's going to explode this year, **** around and get drafted in the first round of next year's NFL draft.

I always feel we get slighted in these all american awards both before and after the season which is why i never use these list to validate who are really "all american" talents or not.

We have more all american talent than the cfb media will ever acknowledge so fck em!! but Congrats to Jaquan and Shaq!!

Somehow a "fan" manages to find a way to **** on players named pre-season All American. Honestly, wtf?
That’s the mistake in thinking some of the guys are really “fans” of Miami

Advertisement
Advertisement

Cmon man this is good news! It's better than not having any pre-season AA's right?

Sometimes the glass is actually half-full my friend.

giphy.gif

Actually I did have some doubts if he would be good enough for Power 5 football...but they soon faded away.. something I never doubted was his work ethics and drive to be the best.

That’s 99.99% of the battle right there.

It’s all about attitude, which only he can control. Having the right attitude, which includes those two key components, work ethic and drive to excel, is a real outcome of his efforts and your parenting.

Congratulations.

Advertisement
Congrats to Shaq and JJ! Well deserved! I wouldn't be surprised to see some more of our Canes on the final lists at the end of the season.

No need to insult the guy!!

Well, I reconsidered and I now agree with you!!! :)

LOL - there was definitely a need.

Of course it goes without saying, but at the end of the day what really matters is how you’ve actually done rather than what you were projected to do. And I’m sure Shaq and his father would be the first ones to tell you that.

But there’s no need to be a ****, and preseason rankings DO have their value.

There’s a time to enjoy, and then there’s a time to be a prick. This is not one of those times.

This is only meant as a time to pause take a measurement, and celebrate your progress so far. And then not stand still but go harder for the future. This is exactly what I know they’re going to do because they’re quality people like that.

Advertisement
Back