Spring PractiSe #5 **TUESDAY**

Knowledgeable individuals have mentioned that open completion meant upperclassmen will play regardless but sure fella. I don't think Manny is purposely sabotaging, but he clearly has a preference. Play on the field should be the biggest factor in who plays and who doesn't. No one here should be arguing that this has been the STANDARD. Manny prefers experience over the unknown which separates him from the coaches that are still on the field in January.

Ohio State had no freshmen and 4 sophomores starting out of 22 players. None was backed up by an upperclassman.

Bama had even less.

Advertisement
It's not an urban legend, it's a fact.

I guarantee you McCloud, Jennings, Ivey, Carter etc will all start & play significant snaps this year.
Well then Harvey is going to be the 3rd guy because DeAndre Johnson didnt come here to play 3rd wheel. I think McCloud ends up being the 3rd guy when its all said and done.

Jennings will start because we have no one else who has stepped up yet to take his spot. Hoping thats.........Flagg I guess. Guys have to step up. Its time for guys like Brooks, TAC, Huff to step up and take a spot from someone.

Ivey will battle it out with Blades Jr and since Blades Jr missed the Spring I agree he will probably unfortuantely start BUT I have no doubt that T-Rob will yank him when necessary. Manny will let T-Rob run the CB rotation or T-Rob wont be here long. So not too worried here.

Carter wont see the light of day past Bama. But again, we need Balom or A-Will to step up and take his spot. One of these 2 should be the 3rd safety going into the Fall. T-Rob will play the best players so not worried here either.

We always talk about seniors playing but we need the young guys to step up and show they deserve to start too. Nobody should be handed anything.

Why is it so crazy that McCloud could be a solid contributor at DE? He has had 6 years in college strength program and extremely athletic and fast.

LB requires a lot more thinking than DE and perhaps this made him play too slow and mitigate his natural strengths.

I personally believe he could be a pleasant surprise.
McCloud has &hit reaction timing and lousy foot speed. Can't tell if he is slow diagnosing plays, has poor instincts or if he has all of this but just can't get to where he needs to be in time.

We need to go with Jahfari and Johnson as the starters backed up by Chantz/Roberts/Cam in the traditional DE roles. Then sprinkle in McCloud for special packages (passing) that require a Rush End. I actually think he can add value in that role. Just win the 1-on-1 battle and either get to the QB or set the edge.

Advertisement
Pencil in McCloud as a starter at SDE.

DeAndre will be playing the rotational role that Trent Harris/Trevon Hill played. And Harvey will be the guy at WDE.

Also expect a big dose of BJ Jennings & DJ Ivey all year too lol The Safeties will remain Bolden, Hall & Carter, the young Safeties will only play 3rd team & mop up duty.

Seniority always wins with Manny.
Wonder if you are being pessimistic or actually being serious. I hope its the former.

Pencil in McCloud as a starter at SDE.

DeAndre will be playing the rotational role that Trent Harris/Trevon Hill played. And Harvey will be the guy at WDE.

Also expect a big dose of BJ Jennings & DJ Ivey all year too lol The Safeties will remain Bolden, Hall & Carter, the young Safeties will only play 3rd team & mop up duty.

Seniority always wins with Manny.
Nah don’t speak this into existence

CA29C955-252D-44B6-8FA9-B54EF87907D3.gif

Advertisement
Knowledgeable individuals have mentioned that open completion meant upperclassmen will play regardless but sure fella. I don't think Manny is purposely sabotaging, but he clearly has a preference. Play on the field should be the biggest factor in who plays and who doesn't. No one here should be arguing that this has been the STANDARD. Manny prefers experience over the unknown which separates him from the coaches that are still on the field in January.

You didn’t answer the main point on my post, which is: are you telling me that Manny is telling grown *** men like Lashlee and Likens who to play at wide receiver?

Answer that question. Otherwise, you just posted a bunch of bullshlt.

The bolded part is the key in terms of the OL.

As for the young WRs, they had a COVID outbreak the same week Likens blew up the depth chart. Pope and Wiggins started playing better and had the jobs secure when the young guys finally came back. Of course, they cratered and now it's wide open again.

dikembe mutombo no GIF

The staff opened up the WR competition heading into the UVA game in late October. Notably, Smith was available and dressed that game. Regardless, from there, Pope went 3 catches for 48 yards against UVA, had his best game of season the following week against NC State (6 catches for 97 yards and a TD), started to come back down to Earth against VT* (4 catches for 50 yards and a TD... caught the game winner, though, I'll give him that), and then went 4 catches for 20 yards over the final three games of the season.

His boy Wiggins had a pedestrian effort against UVA (3 catches for 36 yards), a solid performance against NC State (77 yards and a TD), and possibly his best game of the season against VT* (8 catches for 106 yards, his season highs in both categories... but even then he dropped an easy slant that should have been a TD). Similar to his buddy Pope, Wiggins would go on to have 4 catches for 21 yards and a TD over the final three games of the season.

Smith was available to play and saw action in the final three games of the season, but got minimal snaps. Redding was available to play and saw action in the final two games of the season, but got minimal snaps. Meanwhile, Pope and Wiggins disappeared back into their typical bad habits those last 3 games.

Pope and Wiggins's jobs should have been wide open (again) heading into the OkSU game, as they had already demonstrated their combined 2-game performance was fools' gold and the only WR who had "secured" anything through his play was Harley. By the OkSU game, Pope had already had a ZERO catch performance against Duke, that he followed up with a 2 catch for 6 yards day against UNC. Meanwhile, Wiggins went 3 for 14 yards and a TD against Duke, and then had ZERO catches against UNC. And as we know, neither did much of anything against OkSU and they combined to have at least as many drops as catches (a not uncommon Wiggins/Pope 2020 statistic).

* Some of you may be tempted to absolve the coaching staff for continuing to play Pope and Wiggins after they somewhat showed up for the NC State and VT games. Before you put on your kneepads, let's keep things in perspective and remember that VT's pass defense was pretty bad last season. How bad? VT was ranked 107th in the country in passing yards allowed per game. And since we like to think COVID was a one-way street, VT was also out 11 players against us, include their starting CB, Jermaine Waller, after they'd already lost safety Nasir Peoples in the pre-season. NC State? They weren't as bad as VT, but were still ranked 76th in the country in passing yards allowed per game, so still in the bottom half.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Poster do anything sometimes to protect the staffs image on this website. No matter who starts or who should start at the end of the day the head guy was here and he recruited them. So it's always going to point to him...let him make his bed and suffer the consequences if he fails and reap the rewards if he wins. It's solely on him

I don’t think Manny has a seniority issue at all. The only reason some older, less-talented players were on the field is because he didn’t recruit better replacements.

Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud played early. He benched Blades for Couch. The only real seniority issue I can think of was Patchan initially starting over Rousseau, and that was injury-related. Rousseau got the job quickly and Patchan bounced.

Manny said McCloud might play a Trent Harris role. That makes the most sense at this stage. His issue is going to setting the edge.
Didn’t Nkosi play over TVD because he came back? Didn’t the Southrudge twins play all year over the talented freshman...because they knew what to do. If you can’t catch it doesn’t matter if you know what to do as a WR. They kept rolling Mcloud out there even though he was horrendous. Amari Kamakazi Carter kept starting too. Those are some examples off the top of my head...my perceptions.

Last edited:
He has shut down games, too. His problem is that the bad moments are so frustrating. I also think it's a confidence issue. Ivey had ball skills in HS but they haven't translated.

One of the reason the coaches (including TRob) like Ivey so much is that he is a giant corner. There are tools there. Whether he can actually become an above-average CB remains to be seen. Time is running out.
So Dmula it saying TRob would flat out say he sucks? I never saw it with DJ he always had the look but his hips n speed are trash.

Advertisement
I'm not buying the covid outbreak for the reason why the younger WRs didn't get any burn. Even before the outbreak, I think it was the Pitt game, Macho came on here and said Restrepo told him all the younger WRs were gonna get burn that game and we saw the exact opposite. Same old Pope, Wiggins and Harley.
Every team got hit with the same ****.....I don't like the covid excuse. I'm sure bama and the three other playoff teams had covid issues. They play favorites Manny goldiaz

Simpson says he really thinks DE suits Zach McCloud's skillset

Hopefully Manny has got his mind right.

We should be turning safeties into linebackers, not d linemen. If we take a rush de/ lb tweener, it’s let him attack the qb and not try to force him to play against his instincts if he can’t quickly diagnose and pursue plays while strafing.

This move might give Zach some confidence. If he can give us good depth in the rotation, great. His instincts and technique were never going to allow him to play well at that position. I didn’t realize it until. I actually watched his hs tape.

Every team got hit with the same ****.....I don't like the covid excuse. I'm sure bama and the three other playoff teams had covid issues. They play favorites Manny goldiaz

Man you just spew nonsense without even thinking what you’re saying. COVID or no COVID go see how many freshmen and sophomores started for those playoff teams then check back with me.

It’s incredible to watch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back