Spring PractiSe #2: Wednesday March 6

We could really use a CB1. Davis was CB1 last season and handled the best WR, and was often beaten as you know. Now Porter has to take on that role. Just because Porter looked good covering the second best WR doesn't mean he's a lock to be any better than Davis was covering the WR1s. I like Damari's potential a ton. But just look a few posts up at Memon's shots of him at FSU and you'll see he's a projection still.
Porter was our best CB last year and it wasn't close. Jaden Davis sucked in all but like 1 or 2 games.
Keon Coleman is going to be an early 2nd rounder while Wilson is likely gunna be a 3rd rounder lol. Damari did fine against them for a true freshman.

Can't use lce as evidence against Damari, yet ignore that he hated Jaden Davis more than literally anyone lol.

It is quite simple: Damari, Jadais >>> Jaden Davis, Couch.
And you have Powell or Riley who will get some Nickel work. You have Stafford who is athletic and can develop. And Freeney though I wouldn't count anything on him.

Advertisement
Crap - I just spoke to a good buddy of mine in the AD that was at practice today. TFWIW but apparently the staff is going to make Lou a captain for the UF game. Went on to say that his knowledge of the playbook is unmatched amongst his OL counterpart and the staff sees him as another coach out there, ability be damned.

He also told me that the Washington OG transfer really wanted to come but Mario couldn't promise him a starting job because he was torn about benching his nephew.

We seriously might be f*cked.
You're such a loser.

Fwiw, the people who said Rivers needs to be kicked inside and someone like Bell needs to start:

The clip against Aguirre demonstrates why he shouldn't start. He's more raw than my neighbors cows and they are still mooing.

As long as we are healthy at CB, we're good imo (Good not great or spectacular or anything - we will clearly have an issue against teams with speed). That could be a big if though. I'd say there is about a 98% chance we are improved at CB over last season regardless though. A full season of Damari and Jadais and the potential of Stafford and whoever we choose to play nickel is far better than Jaden Davis and Couch. And Porter is returning. Like legit I don't see what path it would take for CB to perform worse this season than last.

Safety I'd say is weird. I'm not really worried that we have guys that can play, even with a few injuries. I'd just say the most likely outcome is that our safeties are just solid. I doubt they'll be straight up bad, but highly doubtful they'll be more than above average at best though. A clear drop off of talent. HOWEVER with the significant improvement I expect at EDGE (due to health and exp) and the almost certainty we get better cb play this season, I really wouldn't be surprised for our safeties this year to have a better net value to this defense than last season.. Sure I don't see us getting as many big positive plays, but If we can cut down on the big negative plays out of our safeties, this position group could end playing much better than current expectations. I know everyone loves playmaker Safeties - I do too. But when you have trash CBs, they CAN hurt far more than they help, and thats what I think happened last year for sure.
I wish this season was that easy to break down. The problem we have out of our dbs period is we don't have any established talent at either spot. Powell is the only exception to an extent and as SOLID as he was obviously it doesn't necessarily translate immediately to an entirely different squad. Past that zaquan and brown have all world talent but it's gotta come out on field. Same with Stafford. The issue we have bigger picture is we don't have established dt play either. Dt is what makes a defense run. That's why I don't think many on here really understand how LT film really translates. We have great talent at end. But if dt play struggles we'll see how that plays itself out. Guidry is definitely gonna need to earn his check this year. I think we'll score plenty of points this year though

Yall are worried about the CB position, but I'm a **** defensive guy and I ain't even worried about that ****. Lol

Stop the run.
Don't turn the ball over on offense.
Out-score your opponents.
Football is generally that simple.

CB's don't win/lose games...especially not in college football. And if a CB is ever in the position to lose you a game, you probably did a lot of other **** wrong during the contest.

The biggest concern on defense is always the DL.
It's a lot easier to play defense when your opponent can't run the ball and they're always in long distance situations.
Lol insane statement cbs absolutely can lose u games dawg what

Advertisement
We could really use a CB1. Davis was CB1 last season and handled the best WR, and was often beaten as you know. Now Porter has to take on that role. Just because Porter looked good covering the second best WR doesn't mean he's a lock to be any better than Davis was covering the WR1s. I like Damari's potential a ton. But just look a few posts up at Memon's shots of him at FSU and you'll see he's a projection still.
If u think davis was our cb1 last year then u didn’t watch the same games as everyone else did lol. Porter was by far our best corner and arguably our best db period.

We need another corner for sure but that’s because everything after porter is meh or unproven

And none of our guys followed #1 around, they just lined up on sides and teams didn’t throw to dp side much for a reason. Davis didn’t always have the wr1 he just made a bunch of wrs look like they were wr1

Yall are worried about the CB position, but I'm a **** defensive guy and I ain't even worried about that ****. Lol

Stop the run.
Don't turn the ball over on offense.
Out-score your opponents.
Football is generally that simple.

CB's don't win/lose games...especially not in college football. And if a CB is ever in the position to lose you a game, you probably did a lot of other **** wrong during the contest.

The biggest concern on defense is always the DL.
It's a lot easier to play defense when your opponent can't run the ball and they're always in long distance situations.
Based on how much O-Lineman hold in College Football and how quick pressure gets home in HS football given talent gaps and deficiencies, imo, CB play 100% matters lol

What you @'in me for?

Everybody always has the tough guy CB's don't matter opinion until we play teams like UNC & LVille our Corners get torched.

And let's not forget the key moments in the FSU game...

View attachment 284054View attachment 284055View attachment 284056View attachment 284057View attachment 284058

That's the one yall betting the house on, who was Coached by yall's favorite DB Coach...

But if yall like it, I love it 🤷🏽‍♂️
Somebody gotta stand up for DBs. The slander was too much. Nothing worse than watching flat footed CBs read and react while barely ever touching the WR.

Advertisement
Fwiw, the people who said Rivers needs to be kicked inside and someone like Bell needs to start:

The clip against Aguirre demonstrates why he shouldn't start. He's more raw than my neighbors cows and they are still mooing.
Yeah I'm not sure if people realize how small potatoes those JUCO programs typically are.

For every Hutch there's a bunch of glorified prep year programs with the DL coach serving as S&C bc he likes to lift, bruh, and everyone on staff making 10K while working as RA's and in the school book store.

Most JUCO prospects show up as polished as whoozits that was at WR for Miami that already dipped out (forgot jits name already)

S

ince

the second period is closed for viewing so your just guessing he is going back and working with the 2’s
Not really a guess. Why they choose to show him with the 1’s during the viewing portion I have no idea but I can say that’s not (to a much lesser extent) the case when the viewing period closes and media leaves. Part of it is trying to push Samson and not just hand him the job

CB play doesn't matter??.....Yeah it does. We don't play for the NC in 2001 if not for Rumph jumping that route, with the ball careening off him into Matt Walter's hands. There's other instances throughout UM History(to numerous to mention) where CB play saved our asses. If you've got an Ed Reed or SeanTay at Safety watching for everything over the top....then maybe CB play isn't as vital. But those type of Safeties aren't a dime a dozen

What you @'in me for?

Everybody always has the tough guy CB's don't matter opinion until we play teams like UNC & LVille our Corners get torched.

View attachment 284054View attachment 284055View attachment 284056View attachment 284057View attachment 284058

That's the one yall betting the house on, who was Coached by yall's favorite DB Coach...

I know you are trying to make a point but you really going to put in a Coleman push off highlight like Damari for beat?

Advertisement
CB play doesn't matter??.....Yeah it does. We don't play for the NC in 2001 if not for Rumph jumping that route, with the ball careening off him into Matt Walter's hands. There's other instances throughout UM History(to numerous to mention) where CB play saved our asses. If you've got an Ed Reed or SeanTay at Safety watching for everything over the top....then maybe CB play isn't as vital. But those type of Safeties aren't a dime a dozen
Beyond the obvious reasons of why CB play matters: Bubba McDowell vs FSU in 87 is another one. Carlos Jones vs FSU in 94.

Advertisement

Cam- “wow”

Holy mother of God. That ***** going viral today

Thank You Next Behind The Scenes GIF by Ariana Grande

What you @'in me for?

I totally agree about the unc game. That was a disaster, especially by Davis and Couch who are now gone. The leading WR against Louisville had 4 catches for 58 yards. That game was lost by the entire defense, not just the corners (obviously there was the fluke collision play too, Davis and Couch again)

Those highlights against fsu aren't anything too crazy. If anything, we shut down Coleman. We were also playing some corners with little experience in that game.

I feel corners are important in the big games, but I have also seen good corners get smoked in championship games. Georgia had no answer for Jamo or OSU a few years back and Bama couldn't stop Texas in their matchup etc. You can even say some of those really good Bama and Clemson games had dbs getting beat all game.

Elite wrs usually win in big games regardless and there aren't many Sauce Gardners out there.

Last edited:
Cam was just chillin' as everyone celebrated
Like we should expect stuff like this on every play.
16-0

Advertisement
Back