Practice time during the week

Yeah, word is Saban had an indoor practice facility at one of his Mercedes dealerships. Players practiced in the wee hours while the rest of Tuscaloosa slept. Talent and subsequent development had nothing to do with on-field success - all about what sat behind Nick’s dealership.

Advertisement
If any of you watch cfb a good deal you’ll see how incredibly well Alabama plays no matter the week. Almost machine like. Hardly any mistakes. Players always in the right spot.

I’ve heard rumors for along time that they practice double of what the allotted time is.

Saw this clip today and it got me thinking. How the **** did Saban manage to have that team play so well year after while losing his entire staff year after year?

Was really a **** ton of illegal practices? Kids having tutors and not going to class at all?

It’s realy mind blowing the consistency they played with for over a decade. We can’t put a complete game together since ND 2017 LOL

For whatever it's worth he also managed to have the biggest staff in College football for a really long time. He was basically pioneer of hiring former head coaches as support staff.
Bigger staff more detailed and personal attention to each player. JMO

I’ve wondered that myself.
But I would have to imagine that having 2 or 3 dudes at your position that are faster and bigger than you lights a certain fire under your asz.

I’ll keep saying it: Development is 80-90% a personal choice.
But not having at least 2 dudes on your team that can take your spot if you’re not honing your craft leads to complacency. And we’ve seen it a ton here.

The coaches job is to outrecruit you. And seeing a 5 star teammate lose his spot to a freshman that is better is one **** of a wake up call.

For too many years we have recruited a “stud” here and there with nobody on the team or on the incoming class that can threaten his spot.
At Bama you have dudes being out recruited in a yearly basis. You have a proven track record of first rounders. You remember Fitzpatrick and Ps2 taking spots as freshman.
You have a Heisman winner and national championships qb getting benched for a short Samoan.

Now tell me you’re not gonna be preparing and working in that environment knowing that your teammate is in the gym or in the film room and he has better 40 time already.

Imagine having dudes visit as high schoolers and being called “generational day one starter talent” at your position.

Who tf was gonna bench Mike harley?
Who was gonna bench nesta?
Isn't that what Michael Irvin said? Players were always looking over their shoulder knowing the next guy was eyeing their spot and capable of taking it if they didn't do their best.

Advertisement
If any of you watch cfb a good deal you’ll see how incredibly well Alabama plays no matter the week. Almost machine like. Hardly any mistakes. Players always in the right spot.

I’ve heard rumors for along time that they practice double of what the allotted time is.

Saw this clip today and it got me thinking. How the **** did Saban manage to have that team play so well year after while losing his entire staff year after year?

Was really a **** ton of illegal practices? Kids having tutors and not going to class at all?

It’s realy mind blowing the consistency they played with for over a decade. We can’t put a complete game together since ND 2017 LOL

Good point OP. It's not a coincidence that Miami couldn't miss in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's no matter who the coach was, but has had a bad run ever since.

Howard/Jimmy/Dennis/Butch had zero limitations on practice time and that matters. Kids from Miami need that additional structure and time with the coaches, because the high school coaching in Miami / So Fla is garbage and the kids come in much more raw than vs places like Texas, Georgia, or California for example.

It's why we see players on modern Miami teams make bone headed plays and mental mistakes very often, losing us countless games.

When the NCAA limited practice time, and limited contact periods with recruits, and got rid of football dorms, those rule changes hurt Miami far more than any other school. In fact I think they did it on purpose to harm Miami who was a most hated dynasty at the time the changes were made.

Advertisement
The culture here is completely broken with no real end in sight.
Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

Isn't that what Michael Irvin said? Players were always looking over their shoulder knowing the next guy was eyeing their spot and capable of taking it if they didn't do their best.
He was very worried he wouldn't be able to hand back Stanley Shakespeare's ****.

Very worried.

Good point OP. It's not a coincidence that Miami couldn't miss in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's no matter who the coach was, but has had a bad run ever since.

Howard/Jimmy/Dennis/Butch had zero limitations on practice time and that matters. Kids from Miami need that additional structure and time with the coaches, because the high school coaching in Miami / So Fla is garbage and the kids come in much more raw than vs places like Texas, Georgia, or California for example.

It's why we see players on modern Miami teams make bone headed plays and mental mistakes very often, losing us countless games.

When the NCAA limited practice time, and limited contact periods with recruits, and got rid of football dorms, those rule changes hurt Miami far more than any other school. In fact I think they did it on purpose to harm Miami who was a most hated dynasty at the time the changes were made.
Butch most certainly had limitations in regards to practices (had to with the NCAA quivering to find something else to slap us with) BUT.....the players (@Brooklyndee included) religiously practiced off campus continuously. But remember....practices during Butch's tenure were ruthless....

Advertisement
Every time we’ve had a national championship team or contender the sentiment was the same from multiple players.
Ed Reed said that about ST26.
Edge and Mcgahee said the same about the rb room. Santana said the same about the Receiver Room.

We talk about coaches developing players. But if you don’t have that competition next to you on a daily bases it makes you think your special and some sort of can’t miss prospect.
At 18-19 years old you already feel invincible.
You’ve been getting your but kissed since you were an 8th grader. Everyone knows you as a some future nfl star. You get to the team and as a freshman you’re the man.
Yet no one on your squad is better or as good as you.

Now imagine the same scenario at a team that’s loaded. The 2starters are all conference players getting draft buzz since last year. They still have 2 years of eligibility. And the room is stacked. They are also recruiting players that are higher ranked than you were.
That player has 2 choices.

Fold or work harder.

A wide receiver coach ain’t gonna be captain save a ho and teach you something he ain’t teaching the others.

Development is a personal choice.

I know i's @rok, but even for him this is off. He's usually more subtle.
I mean do you guys really disagree that culture remains a huge issue here?

For me it began when Miami became viewed as little more than a vessel for players looking for the straightest route toward getting drafted. Taylor, Kinchens, Williams are the latest local kids instructed by their handlers to "get yo 3 and flee" without so much as considering a return for a 4th year. It was cool to call ourselves NFL U for awhile but that's had a lingering effect where kids still view this place like they do IMG Academy.

Everyone seems to agree that the culture down here in South Florida is pretty toxic from the standpoint of handlers, street agents, etc. But I believe that winning took a back seat at Miami somewhere around 2004 after Vilma, DJ, and the last of the Butch recruits departed. I guess you could say it started when the decision was made to replace Butch with Coker and letting the inmates run the asylum. Accountability, self-motivation and leadership has been largely absent ever since.

Based on an unsubstantiated rumor?
Culture is changing…

But you guys want to talk about unscheduled players only required*** practices lol….

It’s been hard enough for Cristobal to get players to live off campus near enough to make sure they show up to workouts/practices/ and classes on time.

This has been all the more complicated by NIL and having the best international city full of women and nightlife at your doorstep!!!

It’s been a problem

Advertisement

Eh, I disagree to a point. It's not as simple as you practice more and you're better than everyone. That's only a part of the equation.

You don't recruit Peyton Matocha and expect him to become Peyton Manning through more practice. You don't get JAGs and turn them into dudes. Of course, it can happen, but that is the exception, not the rule. Dudes are dudes because of their physical traits, athletic ability, and intangibles.

All of the coaches you mentioned had dudes on their team. Now, those were great coaches also, so they had the ability to do less with more. But that's not what they were doing. Michael Irvin was always going to be a star. He was always going to be "Playmaker."

Eh, I disagree to a point. It's not as simple as you practice more and you're better than everyone. That's only a part of the equation.

You don't recruit Peyton Matocha and expect him to become Peyton Manning through more practice. You don't get JAGs and turn them into dudes. Of course, it can happen, but that is the exception, not the rule. Dudes are dudes because of their physical traits, athletic ability, and intangibles.

All of the coaches you mentioned had dudes on their team. Now, those were great coaches also, so they had the ability to do less with more. But that's not what they were doing. Michael Irvin was always going to be a star. He was always going to be "Playmaker."
Guess you haven’t “jerked” off to Rudy enough times at home yet while you’re old lady is DMing her HS sweetheart like some of these dudes.

I mean do you guys really disagree that culture remains a huge issue here?

For me it began when Miami became viewed as little more than a vessel for players looking for the straightest route toward getting drafted. Taylor, Kinchens, Williams are the latest local kids instructed by their handlers to "get yo 3 and flee" without so much as considering a return for a 4th year. It was cool to call ourselves NFL U for awhile but that's had a lingering effect where kids still view this place like they do IMG Academy.

Everyone seems to agree that the culture down here in South Florida is pretty toxic from the standpoint of handlers, street agents, etc. But I believe that winning took a back seat at Miami somewhere around 2004 after Vilma, DJ, and the last of the Butch recruits departed. I guess you could say it started when the decision was made to replace Butch with Coker and letting the inmates run the asylum. Accountability, self-motivation and leadership has been largely absent ever since.
You got all that from a post claiming players made fun of Restropo practicing extra?

Culture is changing…

But you guys want to talk about unscheduled players only required*** practices lol….

It’s been hard enough for Cristobal to get players to live off campus near enough to make sure they show up to workouts/practices/ and classes on time.

This has been all the more complicated by NIL and having the best international city full of women and nightlife at your doorstep!!!

It’s been a problem
I've made no claims about the culture either way.

Advertisement
Back