Practice time during the week

M3N

Senior
If any of you watch cfb a good deal you’ll see how incredibly well Alabama plays no matter the week. Almost machine like. Hardly any mistakes. Players always in the right spot.

I’ve heard rumors for along time that they practice double of what the allotted time is.

Saw this clip today and it got me thinking. How the **** did Saban manage to have that team play so well year after while losing his entire staff year after year?

Was really a **** ton of illegal practices? Kids having tutors and not going to class at all?

It’s realy mind blowing the consistency they played with for over a decade. We can’t put a complete game together since ND 2017 LOL

Advertisement
Animated GIF

I wouldn’t doubt Saban found a way to sneak extra practice time but that’s not why they were good. I think people still underestimate how much more talented they were than ANYONE else for a long time. They had the #1 ranked composite recruiting class from 2011- 2017. They slipped to #5 in 2018 and went right back to #1 in 2019. Our best class in over a decade would have been their worst. From 2020-2024 they have had 3 second ranked classes and 2 top ranked classes. So even when they “fall off” they’re still WAY more talented than everyone besides UGA.

There's extra practice time for coaches, which is illegal, and there is extra practice time for players, which isn't illegal.

I wholeheartedly believe that our players, in the past, have only done the absolute minimum. No extra reps, no extra work in offseason, nothing. Remember TVD not having his teammates phone numbers?

There's been exceptions that have been singled out, but the reality is crystal clear. Its no coincidence that Kinchens was lauded for film study and proceeded to be our best defensive player on the field.

Advertisement
There's extra practice time for coaches, which is illegal, and there is extra practice time for players, which isn't illegal.

I wholeheartedly believe that our players, in the past, have only done the absolute minimum. No extra reps, no extra work in offseason, nothing. Remember TVD not having his teammates phone numbers?

There's been exceptions that have been singled out, but the reality is crystal clear. Its no coincidence that Kinchens was lauded for film study and proceeded to be our best defensive player on the field.
It also highlights the importance of strength coaches because those guys are around the players a lot more than the actual football coaches. They aren’t limited to “x” amount of workouts. They’re the guys pushing the players during the offseason.

The responsibility for things like game plans, schemes, adjustments are all on the coaches. The players should be responsible for making sure they have the fundamentals, strength and endurance they need to make it work. You’re in college now. If you’re struggling doing the basic things like catching the ball, it’s on you to work on that. The receiver coach isn’t going to hold your hand in practice to work on that sort of thing.

It’s the DNA of the program. I know everyone thinks all those kids would go there to get a free Hellcat but reality is most kids made the decision to spend 3-4 years in that **** hole because they loved and breathed football. For that stretch there hasn’t been a program that better prepared you for the next level than Bama. Kids went there to take care of business. They would say as much as well. Of course we fans of other schools always thought it was the under table money ignoring it was always a business decision for the next level.

I think our players do this now..Ive heard people say it’s mostly like 7on7 stuff tho

When you say TVD didn't have teammates number are you referring to the receivers? Insane if true

Advertisement

THIS ☝️ I don't follow the Alabama football beat but as Bender pointed out, down here we have reports of VanDyke not having our receivers phone numbers and a 2nd or 3rd year, highly rated D lineman saying in an article his improved play was a direct result of finally committing to a better nutrition plan!
Not 100% sure however, I highly doubt the Alabama football program has articles like these coming out because it doesn't happen. During that run, those players were on a mission and I'm sure they policed themselves. Being held to a higher standard by your peers hasn't happened around these parts in a long time imo... GO CANES

A combination of elite talent and elite coaching specifically on the defensive side of the ball. The offense caught up when they went all in on RPO's within their system.

I wouldn’t doubt Saban found a way to sneak extra practice time but that’s not why they were good. I think people still underestimate how much more talented they were than ANYONE else for a long time. They had the #1 ranked composite recruiting class from 2011- 2017. They slipped to #5 in 2018 and went right back to #1 in 2019. Our best class in over a decade would have been their worst. From 2020-2024 they have had 3 second ranked classes and 2 top ranked classes. So even when they “fall off” they’re still WAY more talented than everyone besides UGA.

This.

Really good football players, surrounded by really good football players, play football really good.

This.

Really good football players, surrounded by really good football players, play football really good.
Yeah, no secret techniques. They didn’t just “want” it more. They were just more talented. It also makes a difference when the second and third string guys are all five star players too. That means the starter can’t just coast because he’s more talented than any potential replacement.

Advertisement
Yeah, no secret techniques. They didn’t just “want” it more. They were just more talented. It also makes a difference when the second and third string guys are all five star players too. That means the starter can’t just coast because he’s more talented than any potential replacement.
He has to work. It's competition. You have to practice hard, study hard and commit to yourself and to your craft every single day of the week.

You have to adopt a professional mindest in order to become a professional at what you're doing.

You need Is thoroughbred horses to run a Thoroughbred race. Bamer and UGA 🤮 have them year after year.

You cannot point to just one thing. There is a reason no coach from that program aside from Kirby has been able to replicate it. If it was only one thing it would be easy. You are right it first starts with the players, then just having that system in place. There are also ways that Saban, once he had the clout, could still be managing non-mandatory practices. Something as simple as the players talking amongst themselves about working out or doing some drills on off days and relaying like yeah man if you dont do this good chance Saban doesnt play you. Saban then has some BS GA out there keeping tabs on who showed up. So it is not mandatory, no coaches are there, nothing against kids getting together to train on a random field BUT they know big brother is watching and they may get passed up if they do not attend.

Advertisement
You cannot point to just one thing. There is a reason no coach from that program aside from Kirby has been able to replicate it. If it was only one thing it would be easy. You are right it first starts with the players, then just having that system in place. There are also ways that Saban, once he had the clout, could still be managing non-mandatory practices. Something as simple as the players talking amongst themselves about working out or doing some drills on off days and relaying like yeah man if you dont do this good chance Saban doesnt play you. Saban then has some BS GA out there keeping tabs on who showed up. So it is not mandatory, no coaches are there, nothing against kids getting together to train on a random field BUT they know big brother is watching and they may get passed up if they do not attend.
No other assistant besides Kirby has recruited at that level.

If any of you watch cfb a good deal you’ll see how incredibly well Alabama plays no matter the week. Almost machine like. Hardly any mistakes. Players always in the right spot.

I’ve heard rumors for along time that they practice double of what the allotted time is.

Saw this clip today and it got me thinking. How the **** did Saban manage to have that team play so well year after while losing his entire staff year after year?

Was really a **** ton of illegal practices? Kids having tutors and not going to class at all?

It’s realy mind blowing the consistency they played with for over a decade. We can’t put a complete game together since ND 2017 LOL

I agree. Many will point to their 5* ratings etc - but that’s got nothing to do with their brains learning and mastering new schemes etc.

But - that would also mean that UGA and OSU would be doing it too - definitely think UGA as Kirby has the Bama formula and is essentially Saban 2.0

I’ve wondered that myself.
But I would have to imagine that having 2 or 3 dudes at your position that are faster and bigger than you lights a certain fire under your asz.

I’ll keep saying it: Development is 80-90% a personal choice.
But not having at least 2 dudes on your team that can take your spot if you’re not honing your craft leads to complacency. And we’ve seen it a ton here.

The coaches job is to outrecruit you. And seeing a 5 star teammate lose his spot to a freshman that is better is one **** of a wake up call.

For too many years we have recruited a “stud” here and there with nobody on the team or on the incoming class that can threaten his spot.
At Bama you have dudes being out recruited in a yearly basis. You have a proven track record of first rounders. You remember Fitzpatrick and Ps2 taking spots as freshman.
You have a Heisman winner and national championships qb getting benched for a short Samoan.

Now tell me you’re not gonna be preparing and working in that environment knowing that your teammate is in the gym or in the film room and he has better 40 time already.

Imagine having dudes visit as high schoolers and being called “generational day one starter talent” at your position.

Who tf was gonna bench Mike harley?
Who was gonna bench nesta?

Advertisement
Back