Practice starts tomorrow!

This will be Walters 3rd year through the ACC. His velo is good and his spin rate must be off the charts because he gets so many swings and misses. But Man I hope he has a second pitch that he can rely on this year. Once he finally gave up that first run last year (I think it was Pitt) he was a bit more human...and maybe part of that was because he was used much less the final month+. But he'd be scary at the college level if he had a hammer to mix in with consistency.

Advertisement
This will be Walters 3rd year through the ACC. His velo is good and his spin rate must be off the charts because he gets so many swings and misses. But Man I hope he has a second pitch that he can rely on this year. Once he finally gave up that first run last year (I think it was Pitt) he was a bit more human...and maybe part of that was because he was used much less the final month+. But he'd be scary at the college level if he had a hammer to mix in with consistency.
If he didn't develop one in the off season, shame on him and J.D. But, his interview sounded positive in that regard. All he has to do is show it, and throw it for a strike every 5 - 6 pitches or so.

Some practice notes:
-Crowther was wearing an elbow brace
-Tons of scouts
-Ziehl and Ligon each went 4 innings. They were each shelled for their first three before clean final innings.
-B Walters looked good. Sat 92-94.
-Martin, Gaby, and Yoyo went deep in an overall offense barrage
-Cyr remains a terror on the base paths. He can really run.
-Really poor pitching overall until the closer came in like an Angel of Death and ended the scrimmage on 5-6 pitches.

Advertisement
Some practice notes:
-Crowther was wearing an elbow brace
-Tons of scouts
-Ziehl and Ligon each went 4 innings. They were each shelled for their first three before clean final innings.
-B Walters looked good. Sat 92-94.
-Martin, Gaby, and Yoyo went deep in an overall offense barrage
-Cyr remains a terror on the base paths. He can really run.
-Really poor pitching overall until the closer came in like an Angel of Death and ended the scrimmage on 5-6
Freaking pitching is going to kill us if they don’t figure something out. Every report makes it sound like a HR derby.

Freaking pitching is going to kill us if they don’t figure something out. Every report makes it sound like a HR derby.
I’ve seen a couple good outings but for the most part the hitters are way ahead of the pitching since fall ball and it’s concerning.

With Gino seemingly having decided to keep Walters at closer, the season probably comes down to whether Ziehl and Ligon are the guys that pitched well the last two weeks or the guys that pitched today. If it’s the former I think this team ends up being a Top 8 seed again, but if it’s the latter we may struggle to make a regional. I tend to think it’s closer to the former but we won’t know until the lights come on.

I really do like our position players besides the catcher spot. It’s hard for me to imagine not starting Cyr, but Dorian is unsurprisingly playing good baseball because Dorian is a good baseball player. I’d say DH him but we seemingly have a surplus of outfielders. Martin wasn’t on my radar in the fall because he didn’t play much, but he looks good too so toss him on the pile with all the other OF candidates. At catcher, Scanlon doesn’t do much for me. I’d still guess Perez starts, but if you made me pick my favorite of the three I’d say Jones.

Advertisement
FB_IMG_1675516546141.jpg

11 dollars for a shake? :ROFLMAO: Then you spend a third of the game waiting for one. Just go across the street and get one way better for half price at Shake Shack.

Advertisement
Hitting typically doesn’t catch up to pitching until late March…so maybe our hitting is going to just be that good….I hope but def a major concern knowing who we have.

Advertisement
The shakes were fun when they cost like $3.25 and there was never a wait.

With the new gym there's going to be very little room to squeeze past those waiting in line.

11 dollars for a shake? :ROFLMAO: Then you spend a third of the game waiting for one. Just go across the street and get one way better for half price at Shake Shack.
Went to that Shake Shack after walking from Miracle Mile back in 2018. Never been so happy to find AC in my life.

With Gino seemingly having decided to keep Walters at closer, the season probably comes down to whether Ziehl and Ligon are the guys that pitched well the last two weeks or the guys that pitched today. If it’s the former I think this team ends up being a Top 8 seed again, but if it’s the latter we may struggle to make a regional. I tend to think it’s closer to the former but we won’t know until the lights come on.
Need to either do a better job developing or better job recruiting obviously. Unacceptable IMO pitching is this far behind the bats. Any word on Rosario?

Advertisement
Back