Practice method could help reduce Canes penalties

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
An interesting tidbit I've gathered is that Mark Richt brings in college officials every single day of practice. There are at least four referees in practice a day.

Even more interesting is that Richt has a full ACC officiating crew for scrimmages.

The frequent presence of refs in practice is not something that has been here in the past. Richt emphasizes to the officials that he wants them calling the practices just how they would a game.

Advantages?

1) This should hypothetically reduce Miami's penalties considering the players are correcting their mistakes in practice.

2) The power of familiarity with a referee is extremely underrated. These are the same ACC officials that the Canes players will see during the season at some point. If you're a defensive back, it doesn't hurt to know which officials let a bit more physicality go on when the ball is in the air.

Advertisement
Also couldn't hurt to give these guys extra work in the off season... Maybe refs swallow whistle a little more? One could only hope.

Is this normal around the ACC/NCAA? If so, why isn't it something we did before and why wouldn't everyone do it?

Brilliant move. I always thought ACC refs were at the practices or scrimmages.

An interesting tidbit I've gathered is that Mark Richt brings in college officials every single day of practice. There are at least four referees in practice a day.

Even more interesting is that Richt has a full ACC officiating crew for scrimmages.

The frequent presence of refs in practice is not something that has been here in the past. Richt emphasizes to the officials that he wants them calling the practices just how they would a game.

Advantages?

1) This should hypothetically reduce Miami's penalties considering the players are correcting their mistakes in practice.

2) The power of familiarity with a referee is extremely underrated. These are the same ACC officials that the Canes players will see during the season at some point. If you're a defensive back, it doesn't hurt to know which officials let a bit more physicality go on when the ball is in the air.

this point is HUGE. This is something that FSU would do and we would talk smack about it but really wish we thought of it first. Chess not checkers here.

The refs will also get a better understand our players it will limit bs calls on us which was huge last year.

Advertisement
Wait, so Ron Cherry is giving us the business on Greentree on a regular basis now?

Advertisement
Wait, so Ron Cherry is giving us the business on Greentree on a regular basis now?

Ron's is the only name I can remember, The other ones go by names I have devised:

- Thick Glasses Redneck

- Clam Chowder with a crowded mouth of teeth and a low lower lip

- Redneck without glasses (this is like five refs)

As long as the ACC wants to call BS, they will call BS. Won't matter if we commit penalties or not. "TD Miami!!! Wait, there's a flag on the play..."

Advertisement
Is this normal around the ACC/NCAA? If so, why isn't it something we did before and why wouldn't everyone do it?

Took the words right out of my mouth. It is normal for power 5 teams. Prolly FCS teams and high end D3 programs also. For some reason our former staph did not see this routine necessary. Note how horrendous we were in penalties under al golden.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It is normal for power 5 teams. Prolly FCS teams and high end D3 programs also. For some reason our former staph did not see this routine necessary. Note how horrendous we were in penalties under al golden.
At first I was suprised to hear we DIDN'T have refs at practice before. Then I remembered who it was we are talking about.....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back