Power Success Rate

Advertisement
It's the Jimmys and Joes not the Xs and Os. Our offensive line gets zero push in short yardage and the staff knows it. There's a reason why they have to get cute on the goal line and don't just line up in the I and punch it in. Is it strength and conditioning? I don't think so, we're not weak or out of shape anywhere else. Is it coaching? Maybe but they struggled under the previous staff too. Yeah, there's no tight end depth this year to run power sets but last year with plenty of tight ends and an NFL fullback, they couldn't power the ball in from 1 yard out against anybody with a pulse.
Sure, and the Xs and Os and any level of deception would at least help increase percentages.

You're going to tell me some of those teams above us, who've played some of the same teams we have, are better off in Jimmies and Joes?

It's always a combination of things.

There's no excuse for a Miami offensive line to get stoned at the goal line by teams like Bethune or Toledo. I understand having to get creative against quality front sevens like FLorida State but there's no reason Miami should need any kind of trickeration on the goal line against garbage teams.

And PSU is 127th with the "best RB in the country". Only OSU is in the upper 1/3rd. Give me W/L!

For all of the complaints about the playbook my biggest complaint is we don't roll Rosie out nearly enough. Were the only team with a mobile qb that doesn't do this.

I respect Rosier a lot and think he has grit. And he has without a doubt exceeded expectations this season. But we all know he often is inconsistent in his throwing mechanic and sometimes lacks accuracy in his throws as a result. And most of us also know throwing a football accurately on the run is much harder than throwing a football from a clean pocket. He can run, sure. And he is mobile. But just because you have a mobile QB, does not mean you have a QB that can roll out, make the read, set his feet, and make an accurate throw (especially in the red zone where the windows are smaller).

I believe the coaches (who see Rosier in practice every day) don't roll Rosier out in the red zone because he's not good at it, plain and simple.
They are trying to put Rosier in the best position to succeed and keep him out of situations that make him uncomfortable and play out of his strengths.

The truth is we don't have solid goal line personnel. Arguably our best run blocking OL is true freshman. We only have 1 TE that is p5 capable, and he's more of an H-Back type of player and not a road grinder. We don't have a FB (unless you count putting a true freshman back there from time to time). Our starting RB was on one ankle for several games before requiring surgery on the other. And his backup, while gifted, is not a power back. Playcalling and coaching can only mask so much...

We are 128th out of 130 in "power success rate" (3rd/4th down 2 yards or less).

We only gain a first down/TD on 18% of those plays.

Can't believe it's that bad.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 NCAA OFFENSIVE LINE STATS

Lucky for us we are #2 in opportunity rate (the number or times we gain 5 yards when we need 5 yards regardless of down).

Shhh. DeadPoets only cares about negative advanced stats.

It's funny, if you actually look at football outsiders, we're doing incredibly well in so many areas.

Yet this is the only one stat that gets a thread. Shocking I know.

And does DeadPoets not watch games? How can he "not believe its that bad"? It's, uh, ridiculously obvious actually

Advertisement
We are 128th out of 130 in "power success rate" (3rd/4th down 2 yards or less).

We only gain a first down/TD on 18% of those plays.

Can't believe it's that bad.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 NCAA OFFENSIVE LINE STATS

Lucky for us we are #2 in opportunity rate (the number or times we gain 5 yards when we need 5 yards regardless of down).

Shhh. DeadPoets only cares about negative advanced stats.

It's funny, if you actually look at football outsiders, we're doing incredibly well in so many areas.

Yet this is the only one stat that gets a thread. Shocking I know.

And does DeadPoets not watch games? How can he "not believe its that bad"? It's, uh, ridiculously obvious actually

I've posted plenty of positive advanced statistics. It's not my fault you haven't found those.

And ya, it does surprise me a bit that we are 3rd to last in short yardage. I knew we were bad, but that's another level of bad.

It's also a bit counterintuitive when you think about how great this OL is in pass pro.

My big concern is that we have a weight room issue. This team is incredibly well conditioned (best since the Butch era), but I do think we lack the raw power that the elite teams in CFB have. Only time will tell if it is a S&C issue.

It’s that we can’t block on short yardage and coach richt calls all of those vertical routes on 3rd down when we only need a few yards. Change the route tree up and the problem will be solved on that down

When you can't convert on 3rd and 2 that's about running the ball not route trees. Sure we can pass on 3rd, but the whole point is that you should be able to line up, tell the defense you're going to run and what the snap count is and still be able to get 2 yards.

Advertisement
How is this a surprise? we have no jumbo package. Irvin got ragdolled the one time we tried with him

This jumbo package issue has been haunting us since August. You would think CMR would've figured out a work-around by now?!?! Like, we can't be the only team in the history of football to run into this problem.

We need to go 2 TE, 3 RB near the goal line, or maybe 2 TE, 2 RB, and a DT as fullback. The 86 Bears did it! Let Norton get all up in that!

GO CANES!!!

[video=youtube;ITeozxHXzVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITeozxHXzVE[/video]

CMR threw a WR screen to a limping one legged ar 15 last game

don't act like this dude is some guru

It's clearly a personnel issue more than it is play-calling.

I also wonder what we do in the weight room in the off season. We are an incredibly well conditioned football team (and it shows), but we lack the raw power that the elite teams in CFB have. With the talent we have at OL right now we should be able to generate enough of a push to be better than 128th in the country.

Recruit a fullback, re-examine the spring/summer strength program, and bring in an offensive mind as the 10th coach for next season.

When the same **** run play is called every time we are inside the 5, sometimes 2 downs in a row, play calling is an issue.

It's OK to criticize Richt.

How is this a surprise? we have no jumbo package. Irvin got ragdolled the one time we tried with him

This jumbo package issue has been haunting us since August. You would think CMR would've figured out a work-around by now?!?! Like, we can't be the only team in the history of football to run into this problem.

We need to go 2 TE, 3 RB near the goal line, or maybe 2 TE, 2 RB, and a DT as fullback. The 86 Bears did it! Let Norton get all up in that!

GO CANES!!!

[video=youtube;ITeozxHXzVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITeozxHXzVE[/video]

CMR threw a WR screen to a limping one legged ar 15 last game

don't act like this dude is some guru

There were also those goalline fades and jumpballs to our speed midgets a couple of games ago, which CMR defended on the grounds that Malik's passes weren't accurate enough.. i guess he doesn't realize that taller receivers have wider strike zones??? Smdh

Something's gotta give... We're starting the second half of the season... We should've figured out our identity by now. I think we will. Tough games are coming. We need to be proactive about shoring up our weaknesses before we get exposed. I trust in this regime until proven otherwise. GO CANES!!

It’s that we can’t block on short yardage and coach richt calls all of those vertical routes on 3rd down when we only need a few yards. Change the route tree up and the problem will be solved on that down

When you can't convert on 3rd and 2 that's about running the ball not route trees. Sure we can pass on 3rd, but the whole point is that you should be able to line up, tell the defense you're going to run and what the snap count is and still be able to get 2 yards.

I can't recall is running many power running plays. Most of our run blocking is zone blocking. We need to start mixing in more power runs outside of the red zone as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back