Powell

"Five new football recruiting rules were announced Wednesday by the NCAA, including a new dead period for winter recruiting.

The rules will be made effective immediately and mean that no in-person recruiting can take place from Dec. 16 through Jan. 15 -- a month-long period that occurs during bowl season."

Coincides with time frame that Golden went into his cave.

Advertisement
"Five new football recruiting rules were announced Wednesday by the NCAA, including a new dead period for winter recruiting.

The rules will be made effective immediately and mean that no in-person recruiting can take place from Dec. 16 through Jan. 15 -- a month-long period that occurs during bowl season."

Better be blowing up Travonte at 12:00 AM 1/16

RB who left, 38 pages. RB who's better and just got on campus, 4 pages.

Sounds about right.

Advertisement
When does "dead period" begin/end?

One phone call and you throw all the U shirts/hats out the window and drive to Gainesville the next day?

No way.

More to the story. Mad at Golden? I think Pete's story a little while ago with local kids note nam order with the U has legs....

No. He had been talking to UF since Golden went missing to interview with PSU.

Very rare to recruit someone for a little over a week and get him. Did he ever visit UF?

And yes Golden and the admin handled the PSU situation about as bad as possible.

Nah he never visited UF. From my understanding Powell wanted a UF offer earlier but we had Cook as our lightning guy and wanted to take a bigger back as our second back.

But from what someone told me when Golden thought about going to PSU the Powell's reached out and couldn't get a hold of him. During that time he contacted T-Rob who convinced Muschamp to offer him and the rest is history. Then they pushed him back and...

The senior running back committed toMiami before his last season and when he started the week, he expected to be a Hurricane.
“It’s been crazy,” Powell said.
“I planned on going to school Wednesday. I woke up Wednesday morning planning to go to Miami, but they pushed the day back to Friday. Wednesday, that’s whenFlorida offered.”
It was a matter of moments that made the difference.
“It was like right after I got off the phone (with Miami), (Will Muschamp) called, and that was it. He called my head coach and then I talked to him, he told me to come to the school,” Powell said.

from scout

WELP

I'm not backing Golden at all here but seems like a lot of funny business going on.

UF doesn't offer (did he even visit there?), they call, offer, and he says yes immediately.

Funny business how? Golden running around giving Dorito nuggies in the corch's office?

He had been in communication with UF since Golden went missing to interview with PSU. They capitalized on the opportunity created by Golden.

It just seems odd.

As one of our resident writer would say, "recruiting is about relationships." We have been recruiting him for a long time, UF hadn't. You don't see a flip that fast that often.

I'm also curious why he was told to come in on Friday and not Wednesday? He doesn't say who or why they told him to come in on Friday.

I've bashed Golden plenty, I would also like to think I can have an unbiased discussion about things still.

he had TRob's number so clearly they didn't just meet the week that the kid flipped. Good recruiters stay in touch with kids in their area throughout the entire process. The kid may never pick up, it might only be a few texts a week or two, but they stay in touch because you never know.

Also it is much easier for UF to explain away lack of previous interest to recruits on offense --- "new coordinator so new evaluations". Roper offered Powell at Duke

One phone call and you throw all the U shirts/hats out the window and drive to Gainesville the next day?

No way.

More to the story. Mad at Golden? I think Pete's story a little while ago with local kids note nam order with the U has legs....

Very rare to recruit someone for a little over a week and get him. Did he ever visit UF?

And yes Golden and the admin handled the PSU situation about as bad as possible.

Correct. It's pretty rare. But it does happen, so why get sloppy and arrogant and leave the door open? We got Jawand Blue the same way but even later. Got Teraz McCray that way. There have been others, and we've lost some the same way.

This is another example of BFP Golden's arrogance and inability to read a situation. He couldn't tell Powell was getting sour with the way they were handling his situation and the way Al handled the Ped State thing. Couldn't get a feel for the situation at all. So, what do they do instead of repairing the situation and getting him in school as quickly as possible? They push him back and make him feel even more unsure.

Great salesmen always try to close the deal while they have you in front of them. They don't want you to walk off the lot because they know what can happen when you walk away--someone else can swoop in and steal the deal. That's exactly what happened here.

Advertisement

Read the bolded part. In person.

so golden did push him back. that answers that.

No, "they" pushed him back, whoever "they" is. Could be Golden. Could be admissions. Could be anyone really. There are two sides to every story, and we only have one of them.

3.8 gpa, was good to go at UF the very next morning.

And? What does that have to do with anything? There are any number of procedural things that admissions can dream up that have nothing to do with gpa. What's your point anyway? Kid said "they", not "Coach Golden".

No, "they" pushed him back, whoever "they" is. Could be Golden. Could be admissions. Could be anyone really. There are two sides to every story, and we only have one of them.

And? What does that have to do with anything? There are any number of procedural things that admissions can dream up that have nothing to do with gpa. What's your point anyway? Kid said "they", not "Coach Golden".

And those are the facts. You can surmise from them what you wish.

The only facts are that we don't know the story and the kid is at UF.ag. Who gives a *****? The kid wasn't good enough to play RB at Miami anyway according to many on this board.

Advertisement

The only facts are that we don't know the story and the kid is at UF.ag. Who gives a *****? The kid wasn't good enough to play RB at Miami anyway according to many on this board.

Unfortunately, I very much care how this corching staff performs in their duties as recruiters. Funny that you act like you don't while porsting on a recruiting message board.

No way.

Correct. It's pretty rare. But it does happen, so why get sloppy and arrogant and leave the door open? We got Jawand Blue the same way but even later. Got Teraz McCray that way. There have been others, and we've lost some the same way.

This is another example of BFP Golden's arrogance and inability to read a situation. He couldn't tell Powell was getting sour with the way they were handling his situation and the way Al handled the Ped State thing. Couldn't get a feel for the situation at all. So, what do they do instead of repairing the situation and getting him in school as quickly as possible? They push him back and make him feel even more unsure.

Great salesmen always try to close the deal while they have you in front of them. They don't want you to walk off the lot because they know what can happen when you walk away--someone else can swoop in and steal the deal. That's exactly what happened here.

When the Powell saga was taking place the last thing on Al's mind was the recruiting class.He thought Penn ST was going to rescue him from miami and give him a fresh start at a school under probation and little expectations for the next 3 years.He was probably working on his new staff at Penn ST ,calling friends,assistant coaches.By the time he realized his dream was shot,UF had already taken Powell and LSU Valentine.

No way.

When the Powell saga was taking place the last thing on Al's mind was the recruiting class.He thought Penn ST was going to rescue him from miami and give him a fresh start at a school under probation and little expectations for the next 3 years.He was probably working on his new staff at Penn ST ,calling friends,assistant coaches.By the time he realized his dream was shot,UF had already taken Powell and LSU Valentine.

I'm sure that's exactly what happened. Golden abdicated his duties at UM till the time when Ped State hired Franklin.

Advertisement

Unfortunately, I very much care how this corching staff performs in their duties as recruiters. Funny that you act like you don't while porsting on a recruiting message board.

Reading is fundamental. It was a rhetorical question because of some people here who said the kid was too small and couldn't play RB here. None of that changes the fact that we only know one side of the story on Powell.

Advertisement
Back