Powell motivated to prove he's elite

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
There was a lot of uncertainty around the Miami football program over the past 72 hours regarding the future of Head Coach Al Golden and his interest in Penn State. The fans weren’t the only ones in the dark about Golden’s status at Miami though, as recruits were questioning whether he would return as well. Canes commit Brandon Powell was relieved when Golden released a statement that he would return.

“Yeah, I was worried he would leave. I was just waiting until something came out, but I tried not to think about it too much. I was real excited when he said he was going to stay because I’ll be down there in school in one more day,” said Powell.

The speedster out of Deerfield Beach will arrive on campus this week as an early enrollee.

“I’ll be there on Wednesday. I’m about to start college workouts, learn the playbook, and all that. So it’s about to get real. I need to go in and work. It really hasn't hit me yet, but it will when I start packing tomorrow.”

Powell has already heard stories about the difficulty of the offseason workout plan at Miami.

“When I went there on my visit, I was with Tracy Howard, Deon Bush, and Malcolm Lewis and they were telling me about the UTough workouts and how that made them almost want to quit football. I’ve been working out with my trainer who has been pushing me since the third grade so I’ll just have to push through.”

Although Powell has the ability to play multiple positions at the next level, he projects himself as a running back.

“I see myself at running back, but I’m a very versatile player. I can line up at the slot or catch the ball out of the backfield. I see myself as a running back though, because that’s what they recruited me as and that’s what I want to play.”

Powell had an incredible season with 1339 rushing yards and 20 TDs, but for some reason seems to be a forgotten member of Miami’s class.

“It motivated me a lot. I really wasn’t paying attention about all that talk about Joseph Yearby and Dalvin Cook because even if they would have came, I would compete still. It still motivated me that people don’t think I’m one of the elite running backs around. I’m just going to go in there and work hard to show people why I’m going to the University of Miami.”

Advertisement
he is hungry and always says "uni of miami" one thing that kind of turned me off with cook was during his flip interview all he said was "me" "i" he just kept saying nfl and could care less about helping university of florida st.

I believe this kid has a huge ceiling and will prove a lot of doubters wrong here. Rooting for him to succeed, and be an "overachiever"

Advertisement
Hey Pete, all the recruits when they commit to a school on TV they thank God first.. you should start your every post with

"first I want to thank God for giving me this opportunity..."

Believe me Brandon, there are a lot of us that can't wait to see you in orange and green! Thanks for wanting to be a Cane, you won't regret it!

Advertisement
to brandon-thanks for exhibiting character at a time that our 'leader' has none of it

cant wait to see this kid

Glad to have this kid in the class, and I'll admit, that I'm one of the guys whose been over looking him.

After this article though, I hope he comes in and plays an immense role for our offense next year.

Advertisement
With all the talk about Sony and Cook feel like Powell is being overlooked. Think he's a real good prospect

Advertisement
I know this will seem crazy but after watching his tape.. if Powell ends up playing rb... I believe he will end up with more career rushing yards than yearby

he's a playmaker, even at his size. not gonna redshirt and doesn't need to. he will be a change of pace back, get him to the corner, motion out of the backfield on a lber, total mismatch. him and berrios. crazy.

Kid has the right attitude to come in and fight for his reps. I'm hoping he can maybe shirt and gain some size, but he may be too good to keep off the field.

Advertisement
Back