Potential New Redshirt Rule?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Anyone have any details on this? Just heard Luginbill on eSECpn mentioning something about a kid potentially being allowed to play 4 games and still get a shirt. First time I've heard anything about it. Would definitely endorse.

Advertisement
Yeah it was proposed a few weeks ago I brought it up in some other thread. I think they are moving forward with this propsal

Advertisement
I would support this, especially when some true freshman play early, then take a medical redshirt for an injury. The injury may or may not legitimate, and this might end the practice of the illegitimate ones.

this has always been the rule. i got redshirted and played in a 2 games. After the 4th game though its a no go.

I hate that it comes up EVERY year...and someone will post some wording that sayas it doesnt work that way etc....but i copped a redshirt and played in a game...and made every away trip my freshman year..and i played in the 2000"s

What does 'playing' in 4 games actually mean? Running down on a kickoff or getting in the game for ONE series?

this has always been the rule. i got redshirted and played in a 2 games. After the 4th game though its a no go.

I hate that it comes up EVERY year...and someone will post some wording that sayas it doesnt work that way etc....but i copped a redshirt and played in a game...and made every away trip my freshman year..and i played in the 2000"s

I don't doubt what you're saying but why is Luginbill touting it as a new then? Even as inept as some e$ECpn talking heads can be, I doubt he's confused about the existing rule.

Advertisement
It was a quarters accumulated rule over the first 4 games. Couldn't play in 9+ quarters maybe? If you played at all after week 5 you were done. Something like that. They really just need to give people 5 years to play. The avg college student takes 5 years to grad anyway.

It was a quarters accumulated rule over the first 4 games. Couldn't play in 9+ quarters maybe? If you played at all after week 5 you were done. Something like that. They really just need to give people 5 years to play. The avg college student takes 5 years to grad anyway.

Exactly. This ain't high school. There's no blatant competitive advantage to a 23 yr old lacing em up and it's not like anyone is asking for an increase in overall scholarship allotments to facilitate 5 yr careers.

Advertisement
Back