Potential 2021 options IF we don't have a 2020 season

Go Canes!!

Leading the charge
Premium
For the record I still think we will play this season as scheduled, but was thinking about potential 2021 options if we don't.

Came up with this option where they can potentially play two shortened seasons next year.

Season One:

Begin practice as soon as students report back from winter break.
Eliminate all cupcakes and cross conference games like Miami-Wake Forest this year.
Play an eight game schedule, of which seven are conference games beginning February 6th and ending April 3rd.
Additional game scheduled so natural rivals like GT-Georgia, UM-FSU and S. Carolina-Clemson still get played.
All underclassmen MUST sit one (maybe even two) games of the season to avoid overworking.
Add additional game to redshirt rule.
Three P5 teams have a bye after game 4, the other two after game 5..
Conference Championships and bowl games played throughout April
College football Championship played in mid May.

Start the same process in late September-early October.

Definitely more work for the players but with a bye and a mandatory sit game (or even two), they only play a handful more games, albeit in a tighter time frame.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's certainly reasonable and probably doable but after the statements yesterday by university presidents about no sports being reinstated until ALL students can return to campus, anything is possible at this point.

That's certainly reasonable and probably doable but after the statements yesterday by university presidents about no sports being reinstated until ALL students can return to campus, anything is possible at this point.

You don’t think we’ll have college kids back at school by January of 2021?

Last edited:
You don’t think we’ll have college kids back at school by January of 2021?
I **** sure hope so! Hopefully no later than the beginning of the fall semester. But with any large contingent of decision makers, will they all, or at least a majority of them, be able to come to a consensus? And you know as well as anyone the financial implications of football programs. Will that play a major role in the decision making process? I would think so.

For the record I still think we will play this season as scheduled, but was thinking about potential 2021 options if we don't.

Came up with this option where they can potentially play two shortened seasons next year.

Season One:

Begin practice as soon as students report back from winter break.
Eliminate all cupcakes and cross conference games like Miami-Wake Forest this year.
Play an eight game schedule, of which seven are conference games beginning February 6th and ending April 3rd.
Additional game scheduled so natural rivals like GT-Georgia, UM-FSU and S. Carolina-Clemson still get played.
All underclassmen MUST sit one (maybe even two) games of the season to avoid overworking.
Add additional game to redshirt rule.
Three P5 teams have a bye after game 4, the other two after game 5..
Conference Championships and bowl games played throughout April
College football Championship played in mid May.

Start the same process in late September-early October.

Definitely more work for the players but with a bye and a mandatory sit game (or even two), they only play a handful more games, albeit in a tighter time frame.

Thoughts?
With your time frame already into spring practice you may as well **** can the 2020 season and just do 2021 as usual.

Advertisement
With your time frame already into spring practice you may as well **** can the 2020 season and just do 2021 as usual.

Only problem is the insane amount of revenue schools will lose. I honestly think half the schools out there will go belly up, including ours without the distributions from conference basketball and football TV deals.

If the 2020 season is canceled, I can see where they might allow an extra year of recruits signees, while allowing you to keep your roster at 25 above the previous maximum for a year or two years.

In that scenario for example King would be our quarterback in 2021, assuming he doesn’t or can’t go into the draft, but we would also sign our full complement in the early period in December 2020 or in February 2021

If the 2020 season is canceled, I can see where they might allow an extra year of recruits signees, while allowing you to keep your roster at 25 above the previous maximum for a year or two years.

In that scenario for example King would be our quarterback in 2021, assuming he doesn’t or can’t go into the draft, but we would also sign our full complement in the early period in December 2020 or in February 2021

Zero chance King would go to draft with nothing to show for two years and his one season being against weaker competition

Advertisement

We’re definitely in uncharted territory. In reverse how hard will it be for coaches who’ve honored 4 year rides to tell guys who want to come back they don’t want them.

Due to financial obligations of schools there will definitely be some kind of season. Most reports have said Feb-June. It would be the most interesting season ever. Imagine a game at Michigan State in Feb - that’s legit cold.

It would be weird, and it’s not ideal, but the idea of NFL in the Fall and NCAA in Winter/Spring would be pretty awesome that’s Sep-June with football every weekend. NFL could play on Sat and Sunday and same for NCAA. I think a lot of wives would protest😉

Only problem is the insane amount of revenue schools will lose. I honestly think half the schools out there will go belly up, including ours without the distributions from conference basketball and football TV deals.
Expenses will be way down tho lol. And hey no debt service on a stadium to pay.

wonder if there’s insurance for this kinda thing?

Expenses will be way down tho lol. And hey no debt service on a stadium to pay.

wonder if there’s insurance for this kinda thing?
The insurance markets can’t insure the entire world GDP. Frankly, at a certain point, even the unlimited printing ability of the US Gov’t can’t insure losses beyond a point.

Expenses never go to 0. If we don’t go back to living life soon, we’re looking at a massive set of dominoes that will start to fall. When money stops moving for a month or two, it’s one thing. If that continues over a period of months, it becomes a quite different story.

Advertisement

I wonder if Miami has enough seniors that can be given an extra year of eligibility so we can actually have a team with a full scholarship level.

The insurance markets can’t insure the entire world GDP. Frankly, at a certain point, even the unlimited printing ability of the US Gov’t can’t insure losses beyond a point.

Expenses never go to 0. If we don’t go back to living life soon, we’re looking at a massive set of dominoes that will start to fall. When money stops moving for a month or two, it’s one thing. If that continues over a period of months, it becomes a quite different story.

of course expenses won’t go to zero, but in terms of forcing the shuttering of the football program, as was mentioned,I think they’ll survive.

But yea there’s gonna be a huge mess here soon. I’m not a financial guy at all but it seems almost inevitable.

Advertisement
of course expenses won’t go to zero, but in terms of forcing the shuttering of the football program, as was mentioned,I think they’ll survive.

But yea there’s gonna be a huge mess here soon. I’m not a financial guy at all but it seems almost inevitable.

Agree. Schools like Ohio State and Clemson just gave all their assistants huge raises. Schools still have to pay all the scholarship $$ to their universities and God knows what kind of ponzI scheme some of these programs have to keep up with the facility upgrades have been doing

Advertisement
Back