Post Game Recap

This year we're pretty thin on defense, next year we should have really solid depth across the board.

But the depth won't be top players in general they will be average players which will produce average D's. Go to youtube and watch some of our 90's teams they had some great D's. Tough hungry kids who love to eat we don't have those kids in general anymore.

Advertisement
I think you should have added Romeo Finley to best players on D.
Spot on with Ivey he needs to gain confidence in his positioning to turn around once he sees the wr look back. He’d have ten picks if he’d just figure that out.
I like Pope, JT4, and Harley. But man not only are they smallest guys but a hard fart makes them look like they just got blown up by Shawn Taylor crossing the middle. Friggin Harley gets blasted in the open field. I’ve never seen such a small quick guy with so little wiggle. And Pope does the same stuff. I don’t get it. I think we can win with them. However none of the are near Santana, heck they aren’t warming up on roscoe talent IMO.
In general we do not have the overall speed edge we used to. Our LB are getting the edge taken by the qb, and our rbs and we are getting blasted by some white safety who looks to be a solid 10-15 pounds heavier than they are. This is definitely TNM and not the old canes.
71 looks like an over weight chickillo out there. Which is unfortunate. Glad he’s worked so hard and he is a true cane. But the knee injuries have taken their toll.
55 is hot garbage. Go ahead sofla guys blast me. But he is not good IMO.
Obviously the OT is sucking. Kind of sad we are in a position to keep trotting him out there.
Lou Hedley has been good though. So there’s that! Lol

Ame
View attachment 99268

Offense:

N'Kosi Perry - 16/27 182yds 1TD 59%cmp, 9car 18yds rushing 1TD
Deejay Dallas - 13car 63yds, 2rec 14yds
KJ Osborn- 4rec 60yds
Brevin Jordan - 2rec 48yds
Mark Pope - 2rec 30yds
Mike Harley - 3rec 16yds
Jeff Thomas - 3rec 14yds

Offense gained 265yds total, 2/10 on 3rd down with 25:41 in Time Of Possession & 0 turnovers.

First MAJOR MAJOR PROPS & RESPECT to Kosi Perry, the kid played a **** of a game & was clear cut leader out there putting this team on his back & getting us our FIRST win vs a P5 opponent on the season. If it weren't for about 4 or 5 drops he would've had a well over 60%cmp & put up bigger numbers.

He was impressive showing poise in the pocket & was evasive considering he had DLineman breathing down his throat on **** near every play. The 2 major differences between he & Jarren is his arm talent & escape-ability under pressure, he knows how to extend plays with his feet & get out trouble the best he can. He'll still get sacked because our OL is just God awful, but there were multiple plays where his mobility allowed him to sneak away from rushers when in Jarren's case would've been sacked.

Give the kid his credit, he was much maligned & bashed like crazy by our fans for most of the offseason, and now it's come to fruition that he's no doubt the best QB on the team & probably would have us at 4-2 or 5-1 had he started from the beginning (IMO). It also looks as though Diaz & Enos might have a made mistake in naming Jarren the starter coming out of Fall camp, obviously Jarren was the safer thrower & didn't turn the ball over as much in the scrimmages, but I distinctly remember a Barry Jackson article from back in August where he quoted an unnamed team official that said Perry was the perfect fit for Enos's offense & probably had the best upside out of the QB's.

The Offense is still vastly under performing commiserate to the talent we have, Idk why Enos is so **** bent on forcing this slow under center offense on our personnel but it obviously isn't gonna change anytime soon. Look at the drastic difference in offensive productivity when we throw the ball more & go faster (VA Tech) as opposed to when we're taking a majority of the snaps under center with long 5-7 step drop Play actions, it's beyond clear we're a Spread team, but it seems we'll only ever see it when we're down 3-4 TD's & have no choice but to toss it around.

Zion Nelson is a HUGE liability to this Offense, he simply isn't ready for Power 5 Football & has literally given up a Sack in every game (except Bethune), he routinely gets beat like a rented mule off the snap & consistently makes it even harder to execute an Offense that already doesn't really fit the players to begin with. I would move Scaife to LT & give John Campbell another shot at RT, Zion just doesn't have it this season, he should be redshirting.

The outside zone runs where the backside Defender goes completely unblocked gets blown up in the backfield for a TFL EVERY SINGLE TIME, stop running them please. And notice how the best run plays we had came out of the Shotgun 🤔...

Very good game from Deejay, he's tough physical runner that just continues to push forward, he rarely goes down on first contact. Idk why we don't throw the ball to our backs out of the backfield more, a wheel route to Deejay or Cam would be a big gain if we ever decided to throw one.

The WR's had some drops, but the with opportunities they did get they were solid. Was really happy to see Pope get loose, the kid is dynamic playmaker & the more you feed him the more he's going to ball. KJ has the best hands of the group & is a chain mover. JT4 has a bad drop just about every game, but he's explosive & can make plays at any given moment. I'd love to see Wiggins & Payton get more snaps, but it looks like they're redshirting Payton this season.

Brevin is the best TE in the country hands down. Idk why Enos thought it was a good idea to run a TE reverse in the Red Zone to short side of the field, but that's no fault of his. Brevin should be/better be a Mackey Award finalist this year.

Overall, the Offense still can't run the ball well enough & cannot protect the QB. I believe they're better at moving the ball down the field with Perry but for what Enos is getting paid the production just isn't consistently good enough. Our Red Zone offense is just plain terrible, no creativity at all & just about every play is easily diagnosed & stopped. He's one of the top 5 highest paid OC's in college football, but we're not seeing it maturate on the field that he was worth the money.

Defense:

Romeo Finley - 8tcks
Gregory Rousseau - 7tcks 2TFL's & 1sack
Trajan Bandy - 6tcks 1TFL, 1sack & 1FR
Mike Pinckney - 6tcks 1TFL, 1sack, 1PBU
Shaq Quarterman - 6tcks 1TFL
Gurvan Hall - 5tcks 1TFL, 1sack & 1PBU
Jon Ford - 4tcks 1TFL, 1sack & 1FF
Al Blades Jr - 3tcks & 1PBU
Trevon Hill - 3tcks
Bubba Bolden - 2tcks & 1PBU

Defense played its best game thus far which isn't really saying much (lol), but held UVA to just 74yds rushing. Our Run Defense has been stout all season having allowed only ONE 100 yard rusher this year.

We finally got see what happens when the Defensive staff pulls their head out of their *** & starts Rousseau, he was the most dominant player on the field & should've been starting from day 1. Even vs UF he was our best DE & it still took them till we lost 3 games before they realized they had an absolute monster on the edge. The decision to give Patchan more snaps than Rousseau wil ring out for years with this staff, easily one of their dumbest decisions in a long list of dumb decisions. Rousseau is by far the BEST player we have on Defense.

Jon Ford was a BEAST! He played like a man possessed & was absolutely dominating on the interior, even on the play where he got the sack he was being held big time by 2 UVA linemen & still got to the QB (of course the refs didn't call the egregious holding smh). Both he & Jordan Miller are great run stopping DT's, then add on Nesta Jade Silvera & we have a **** good trio of DT's for the next few years.

The Secondary has regressed. They really miss Jaquan, Redwine & Mike Jack. The Safety play outside of Gurvan has been subpar & the CB's have struggled a lot this season. I like Al Blades a lot, I think he's played well this year (not perfect but good enough).

DJ Ivey has been a big let down thus far, I heard a lot from people that had seen him in Fall camp that both he & Blades would be up to speed, but it's pretty clear he just doesn't have the technique in order to hold down a starting spot, he got ABUSED out there last night & simply isn't good enough right now. His hips are too stiff & he just doesn't know how to read a receiver, as someone who pays close attention to CB's & played CB I can tell you there's clear cut difference in Blades & Ivey's ability to cover. Al does get beat sometimes when he's too flat footed & doesn't get enough depth vs his man, but he has good hands & can make a play on the ball when he keeps his man in front of him, Ivey on the other hand is just slow with poor technique & gets lost in coverage. Al has natural cover ability that you can't teach, he needs to be the starter opposite of Bandy.

The pass rush finally showed up this game, they were in the backfield a lot & put pressure on Perkins with 5 sacks. The starting DL needs to be Rousseau, Ford, Nesta & Garvin, with Miller, Hill & Bethel rotating in. Not trying to pile on but I'm sorry Patchan is *** bruh, I'd rather Jahfari Harvey get his snaps than see him on the field again, he just doesn't have any explosion as a pass rusher & gets overran out of plays all the time.

The best players on Defense are Rousseau, Ford, Nesta & Gurvan.

Mad props to the walk-on Kicker Turner Davidson, he needs to kick all of our XP's & short yardage FG's for the rest of the season. And a BIG shoutout to Christian Williams for a TD saving tackle on that Kickoff return. He's done well on ST's this year I'd like to see him get snaps at CB this year.

Overall this was a great win for this team, after coming off a loss to a Va Tech team we should've beat, they could've packed in & come out lackadaisical but they didn't, they fought & persevered and beat a top 20 team, can't minimize how big that is for this team that was essentially playing for this season in this game. We're still a very inconsistent team & this win doesn't mean we're going 9-3 (I hope we do), but it's a start in the right direction. The staff still makes some very questionable decisions & we still can't Block to save our lives or get INT's on Defense but hopefully we can use this as a momentum booster to start playing up to our talent level.

Gotta take everything one week/one game at a time with this team, we should beat GTech handily, but you know that means it'll be a dogfight & once we hit the road vs Pitt & FSU there's no telling which version of this team will show up.

Either way I'm happy we got a W vs a good team, let's keep winning & keep building, the Coastal is not in our hands right now but all we can do is win out to put us in the best position to possibly win it, although we probably won't.
amen Liberty! N’Kosi flat out was the reason we won that game even though he was handicapped by $hitty play calling abd our age old tradition of receivers dropping passes they hit them right in the hands/chest. Smh the kid did a compleTe 180 from last years performance against UVA. If Jarren is in that game no way we win yesterday as he probably takes double the sacks and probably throws an interception or two with that weak arm. So how in **** is he still the starter? Smh when i woke up to Barry’s tweet saying Jarren is still the guy I wanted to puke.

That's a big red flag with this coaching staff...

Shouldn't have taken them this long to figure out Patchan was *** & Rousseau was a fckin Alien.

Same with giving Ivey all these snaps over Blades, sh*t is infuriating to watch.

I'm guessing that those decisions are what drove Manny to get back to calling the defense. First-time head coaches have a tendency to not micromanage, because they probably hated it themselves. Eventually, they realize why head coaches do it, and that it's not micromanaging.

But the depth won't be top players in general they will be average players which will produce average D's. Go to youtube and watch some of our 90's teams they had some great D's. Tough hungry kids who love to eat we don't have those kids in general anymore.

Not only that, but who is 100% at fault for having a thin defense this year? Maybe the DC who has been here for 4 years now.

Advertisement

Those times are over. Has nothing really to do with what I stated. Depth, particularly at LB and DT will be much better.

Couldn't agree more. UVA and Wake(LMFAO I can't even believe I am typing this) are just beating up on even schittier ACC teams. The ACC is a massive joke. Then they get inflated stats and the guys trying to sell the games say schit like "the best pass rushers in CFB" and the slurpers take it as fact. It is hilarious. This elite D let William and Marry and Old Dominion score 17 points on them too. We can't have another Randy 3 star gems coach. We need an elite coach on the recruiting trail.

You could have swapped shirts with any of the other ACC teams last night and you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference sorry to say.

I'm guessing that those decisions are what drove Manny to get back to calling the defense. First-time head coaches have a tendency to not micromanage, because they probably hated it themselves. Eventually, they realize why head coaches do it, and that it's not micromanaging.
Yeah, he should've made that decision after we gave up a 4th & 17th to UNC & cost us a Coastal game.

The difference from Diaz taking back play calling on Defense to what Baker was doing is night & day particularly in the Red Zone. Our Pass Defense is still trash, but the Run Defense & pass rush was glaringly different with Diaz taking the reins back.

Those times are over. Has nothing really to do with what I stated. Depth, particularly at LB and DT will be much better.

Our LBers and linemen are over rated now and a bunch are leaving. If the younger players are better they'd be playing now, I don't see many upgrades for next year except the one young LBer. Great we'll have a full 85 players or so but how many upgrades?

Advertisement
Yeah, he should've made that decision after we gave up a 4th & 17th to UNC & cost us a Coastal game.

The difference from Diaz taking back play calling on Defense to what Baker was doing is night & day particularly in the Red Zone. Our Pass Defense is still trash, but the Run Defense & pass rush was glaringly different with Diaz taking the reins back.
Not one doubt Baker should have been fired after giving up 42 at home to a very bad VT team.

IF we can flip Hyppolite & with Tirek Austin-Cave being an EE, we'll have 3/4 athletically gifted fast LB's in Brooks, Huff & the 2 youngins. Plus with McCloud, Joyner & Jennings getting back healthy will have some experienced depth.

The big question mark will be the Secondary, I expect Gurvan & Al Blades to continue to grow & develop being that they're both only just Red Frosh/True Sophomores & this season is their first full season of experience. But we really need Bubba Bolden to take a stronghold on that 2nd Safety spot & I think Frierson can be a good replacement for Rome Finley at Striker next year.

I hope the staff adds Brian George to the 2020 class, because we could really use a Juco CB with speed for next year to add on with Bandy returning his Senior season & Blades with full year under his belt. Also hope Christian Williams & Te'Cory Couch get developed for next year too.

Here’s the problem, and stop me if you’ve heard this before.

Next season, coaches will preach that the best players will play.

For the first 4 games of the season we’ll see slow linebackers start because they have been in the program longer. Lose a couple winnable games and be in the exact same spot we are this year by the time we actually start playing the best players.

Wash rinse and repeat at one level of the defence at the very least, every single season.

View attachment 99268

Offense:

KJ Osborn- 4rec 60yds
Mark Pope - 2rec 30yds
Mike Harley - 3rec 16yds
Jeff Thomas - 3rec 14yds

Offense gained 265yds total, 2/10 on 3rd down with 25:41 in Time Of Possession & 0 turnovers.

First MAJOR MAJOR PROPS & RESPECT to Kosi Perry, the kid played a **** of a game & was clear cut leader out there putting this team on his back & getting us our FIRST win vs a P5 opponent on the season. If it weren't for about 4 or 5 drops he would've had a well over 60%cmp & put up bigger numbers.

He was impressive showing poise in the pocket & was evasive considering he had DLineman breathing down his throat on **** near every play. The 2 major differences between he & Jarren is his arm talent & escape-ability under pressure, he knows how to extend plays with his feet & get out trouble the best he can. He'll still get sacked because our OL is just God awful, but there were multiple plays where his mobility allowed him to sneak away from rushers when in Jarren's case would've been sacked.

Give the kid his credit, he was much maligned & bashed like crazy by our fans for most of the offseason, and now it's come to fruition that he's no doubt the best QB on the team & probably would have us at 4-2 or 5-1 had he started from the beginning (IMO). It also looks as though Diaz & Enos might have a made mistake in naming Jarren the starter coming out of Fall camp, obviously Jarren was the safer thrower & didn't turn the ball over as much in the scrimmages, but I distinctly remember a Barry Jackson article from back in August where he quoted an unnamed team official that said Perry was the perfect fit for Enos's offense & probably had the best upside out of the QB's.

The Offense is still vastly under performing commiserate to the talent we have, Idk why Enos is so **** bent on forcing this slow under center offense on our personnel but it obviously isn't gonna change anytime soon. Look at the drastic difference in offensive productivity when we throw the ball more & go faster (VA Tech) as opposed to when we're taking a majority of the snaps under center with long 5-7 step drop Play actions, it's beyond clear we're a Spread team, but it seems we'll only ever see it when we're down 3-4 TD's & have no choice but to toss it around.

Zion Nelson is a HUGE liability to this Offense, he simply isn't ready for Power 5 Football & has literally given up a Sack in every game (except Bethune), he routinely gets beat like a rented mule off the snap & consistently makes it even harder to execute an Offense that already doesn't really fit the players to begin with. I would move Scaife to LT & give John Campbell another shot at RT, Zion just doesn't have it this season, he should be redshirting.

The outside zone runs where the backside Defender goes completely unblocked gets blown up in the backfield for a TFL EVERY SINGLE TIME, stop running them please. And notice how the best run plays we had came out of the Shotgun 🤔...

Very good game from Deejay, he's tough physical runner that just continues to push forward, he rarely goes down on first contact. Idk why we don't throw the ball to our backs out of the backfield more, a wheel route to Deejay or Cam would be a big gain if we ever decided to throw one.

The WR's had some drops, but the with opportunities they did get they were solid. Was really happy to see Pope get loose, the kid is dynamic playmaker & the more you feed him the more he's going to ball. KJ has the best hands of the group & is a chain mover. JT4 has a bad drop just about every game, but he's explosive & can make plays at any given moment. I'd love to see Wiggins & Payton get more snaps, but it looks like they're redshirting Payton this season.

Brevin is the best TE in the country hands down. Idk why Enos thought it was a good idea to run a TE reverse in the Red Zone to short side of the field, but that's no fault of his. Brevin should be/better be a Mackey Award finalist this year.

Overall, the Offense still can't run the ball well enough & cannot protect the QB. I believe they're better at moving the ball down the field with Perry but for what Enos is getting paid the production just isn't consistently good enough. Our Red Zone offense is just plain terrible, no creativity at all & just about every play is easily diagnosed & stopped. He's one of the top 5 highest paid OC's in college football, but we're not seeing it maturate on the field that he was worth the money.

Defense:

Romeo Finley - 8tcks
Trevon Hill - 3tcks

Defense played its best game thus far which isn't really saying much (lol), but held UVA to just 74yds rushing. Our Run Defense has been stout all season having allowed only ONE 100 yard rusher this year.

We finally got see what happens when the Defensive staff pulls their head out of their *** & starts Rousseau, he was the most dominant player on the field & should've been starting from day 1. Even vs UF he was our best DE & it still took them till we lost 3 games before they realized they had an absolute monster on the edge. The decision to give Patchan more snaps than Rousseau wil ring out for years with this staff, easily one of their dumbest decisions in a long list of dumb decisions. Rousseau is by far the BEST player we have on Defense.

Jon Ford was a BEAST! He played like a man possessed & was absolutely dominating on the interior, even on the play where he got the sack he was being held big time by 2 UVA linemen & still got to the QB (of course the refs didn't call the egregious holding smh). Both he & Jordan Miller are great run stopping DT's, then add on Nesta Jade Silvera & we have a **** good trio of DT's for the next few years.

The Secondary has regressed. They really miss Jaquan, Redwine & Mike Jack. The Safety play outside of Gurvan has been subpar & the CB's have struggled a lot this season. I like Al Blades a lot, I think he's played well this year (not perfect but good enough).

DJ Ivey has been a big let down thus far, I heard a lot from people that had seen him in Fall camp that both he & Blades would be up to speed, but it's pretty clear he just doesn't have the technique in order to hold down a starting spot, he got ABUSED out there last night & simply isn't good enough right now. His hips are too stiff & he just doesn't know how to read a receiver, as someone who pays close attention to CB's & played CB I can tell you there's clear cut difference in Blades & Ivey's ability to cover. Al does get beat sometimes when he's too flat footed & doesn't get enough depth vs his man, but he has good hands & can make a play on the ball when he keeps his man in front of him, Ivey on the other hand is just slow with poor technique & gets lost in coverage. Al has natural cover ability that you can't teach, he needs to be the starter opposite of Bandy.

The pass rush finally showed up this game, they were in the backfield a lot & put pressure on Perkins with 5 sacks. The starting DL needs to be Rousseau, Ford, Nesta & Garvin, with Miller, Hill & Bethel rotating in. Not trying to pile on but I'm sorry Patchan is *** bruh, I'd rather Jahfari Harvey get his snaps than see him on the field again, he just doesn't have any explosion as a pass rusher & gets overran out of plays all the time.

Mad props to the walk-on Kicker Turner Davidson, he needs to kick all of our XP's & short yardage FG's for the rest of the season. And a BIG shoutout to Christian Williams for a TD saving tackle on that Kickoff return. He's done well on ST's this year I'd like to see him get snaps at CB this year.

Overall this was a great win for this team, after coming off a loss to a Va Tech team we should've beat, they could've packed in & come out lackadaisical but they didn't, they fought & persevered and beat a top 20 team, can't minimize how big that is for this team that was essentially playing for this season in this game. We're still a very inconsistent team & this win doesn't mean we're going 9-3 (I hope we do), but it's a start in the right direction. The staff still makes some very questionable decisions & we still can't Block to save our lives or get INT's on Defense but hopefully we can use this as a momentum booster to start playing up to our talent level.

Gotta take everything one week/one game at a time with this team, we should beat GTech handily, but you know that means it'll be a dogfight & once we hit the road vs Pitt & FSU there's no telling which version of this team will show up.

Either way I'm happy we got a W vs a good team, let's keep winning & keep building, the Coastal is not in our hands right now but all we can do is win out to put us in the best position to possibly win it, although we probably won't.

LC El always bringing it strong.

Zion getting beat like rented mule is insulting to mules worldwide.

he turns easier than a broken NYC subway turnstile.

Last edited:
View attachment 99268

Offense:

KJ Osborn- 4rec 60yds
Mark Pope - 2rec 30yds
Mike Harley - 3rec 16yds
Jeff Thomas - 3rec 14yds

Defense:

Romeo Finley - 8tcks
Trevon Hill - 3tcks

On the money. Zion whiffs on too many plays. I mean, guys go right by him like he's setting up a screen. Why not help him with a tight end-Mallory because he has disappeared from the passing game? Game 7 coming up and I've seen no improvement. He looks the part but at this point that's all.

Advertisement
1. Diaz gave to much Decision Making Power to his new Staff.
2. I would still go after a Top Tier Dline Coach after season, even though they are improving.
3. Like DJ Ivey as a young college player, but he is not going to get anywhere at the CB position. Needs to think about a position move, maybe Safety.
4. Would like to see Christian Williams get some CB Time also, but Blades should be starting over Ivey.
5. Diaz should also be looking to bring in a new LB Coach and also make Blake Baker an Assistant not a DC.

Advertisement
Virginia's defense is much better than you THOUGHT. Even Riddick mentioned Virginia's defense has two/three players whom will be 1st/2nd round NFL selections. It's also an EXPERIENCED defense. dUh

Was he not the best listen? Normally Im begging to be the guy in reservoir dogs getting his ear cut off. Last night was refreshing AF...

IF we can flip Hyppolite & with Tirek Austin-Cave being an EE, we'll have 3/4 athletically gifted fast LB's in Brooks, Huff & the 2 youngins. Plus with McCloud, Joyner & Jennings getting back healthy will have some experienced depth.

The big question mark will be the Secondary, I expect Gurvan & Al Blades to continue to grow & develop being that they're both only just Red Frosh/True Sophomores & this season is their first full season of experience. But we really need Bubba Bolden to take a stronghold on that 2nd Safety spot & I think Frierson can be a good replacement for Rome Finley at Striker next year.

I hope the staff adds Brian George to the 2020 class, because we could really use a Juco CB with speed for next year to add on with Bandy returning his Senior season & Blades with full year under his belt. Also hope Christian Williams & Te'Cory Couch get developed for next year too.
Agree. I really like bubba & frierson a lot and I think they'll keep inproving. Have you heard anything regarding George ? I know Rumph wants to flip that Gamecock commit but otherwise not too sure who are realistic targets are for CB 3.

View attachment 99268

Offense:

KJ Osborn- 4rec 60yds
Mark Pope - 2rec 30yds
Mike Harley - 3rec 16yds
Jeff Thomas - 3rec 14yds

Defense:

Romeo Finley - 8tcks
Trevon Hill - 3tcks

I just want to point out the hustle, the speed, and the great pursuit angle Gurvan showed running perkins out of bounds that would have been a first on a third down play late in the game.

Here’s the problem, and stop me if you’ve heard this before.

Next season, coaches will preach that the best players will play.

For the first 4 games of the season we’ll see slow linebackers start because they have been in the program longer. Lose a couple winnable games and be in the exact same spot we are this year by the time we actually start playing the best players.

Wash rinse and repeat at one level of the defence at the very least, every single season.
Yeah that's what's scary...

If Brooks & Huff aren't shoo-in starters next year we'll have a big problem on our hands.

I like Joyner, but neither he or Jennings have the anywhere near the upside as the young LB's. I'm fully expecting McCloud to start because he'll be a 5th year Senior & they're bringing him back for that specific purpose, but if he's struggling like he has in the past they better put one of the young pups behind him in immediately.

Advertisement
Back