Post Game Recap: TAMU

Advertisement
I do think CB defending deep balls is probably the biggest worry defensively as of right now... well that and if Mesidor and especially Deen aren't healthy asap (well not next week). LB is kinda just average still, but thats much better than last year or 5 under Diaz.

Offensively, honestly Really no worries. Just hopefully a guy like Arroyo and Tyler Harrell or a freshman wr with Speed can step up in the next week or two, because they'd unlock even more for this offense. With this OLine and TVD playing at a top level, this offfense is going to perform great.
Need to get the back ups a lot of reps the next 2 weeks.

@Memnon
I was poking around the Aggie 247 site and saw a thread called "Perception vs Reality". Found this interesting...

Perception: Offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino is a top ten play caller and is bringing in space age concepts to an archaic attack.

Reality: Petrino’s base philosophy is the same as Fisher’s…West Coast offense, reduced formations, power running game RPOs, Air Raid route combinations.

-Per Pro Football Focus, Fisher doesn’t call a lot of screens and neither does Petrino (less than 10% in both 2022 and 2023 at A&M and Missouri State).

Fisher used play action on about 25% of his passes in 2022. Petrino used less than 20% play action in 2022 at Missouri State and about 20% so far this season.

A&M does use more pre snap movement with Petrino but they still rank in the bottom half of the SEC in percentage of plays that use motion (less than 10% for A&M in 2022, about 15% in 2023 with Petrino). Petrino tends to use motion when he wants to specifically accomplish something (motion designed to get a player in place as a ball carrier or blocker).

A&M’s RPO rate remains at under 20% in 2022 and 2023 regardless of who is calling the plays.

There’s more similarities than differences between the two.

Advertisement
@Memnon
I was poking around the Aggie 247 site and saw a thread called "Perception vs Reality". Found this interesting...

Perception: Offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino is a top ten play caller and is bringing in space age concepts to an archaic attack.

Reality: Petrino’s base philosophy is the same as Fisher’s…West Coast offense, reduced formations, power running game RPOs, Air Raid route combinations.

-Per Pro Football Focus, Fisher doesn’t call a lot of screens and neither does Petrino (less than 10% in both 2022 and 2023 at A&M and Missouri State).

Fisher used play action on about 25% of his passes in 2022. Petrino used less than 20% play action in 2022 at Missouri State and about 20% so far this season.

A&M does use more pre snap movement with Petrino but they still rank in the bottom half of the SEC in percentage of plays that use motion (less than 10% for A&M in 2022, about 15% in 2023 with Petrino). Petrino tends to use motion when he wants to specifically accomplish something (motion designed to get a player in place as a ball carrier or blocker).

A&M’s RPO rate remains at under 20% in 2022 and 2023 regardless of who is calling the plays.

There’s more similarities than differences between the two.
Exactly.

The only major difference is Petrino likes using more Pistol formation & prefers a mobile QB over a traditional pocket passer, but the overall concepts of their Offensive philosophy is mostly the same.

HB Counter, Swing pass/Wheel route to the RB, TE seam route, PA Deep ball. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

edgerrin cooper is a dude
Man, I wanted him a couple of years back, name aside. He’s going to be one of those drafted mid because he’s lost in an under coached and under performing group but everyone can see the player and carves out a nice career.

Not sure if anyone saw this or mentioned it but one play that stuck out to me on defense - later in the game, a&m ran basically a drag route across the field just behind the LB's. They had quite a bit of grass to work with but williams and I believe couch looked like they were shot out of a cannon and made a great stop. Their closing speed was unreal.

Anyone catch that or have video?
It was JW & Porter, we all saw it and loved it

Advertisement
Another critical point in the game that shouldn’t be overlooked is the 4th and 1 attempt by A&M near our goal line where their OL jumped and forced a FG instead.

They were moving and gaining momentum and it sure felt like they’d convert the down and pick up 7 to take the lead. Instead, after the FG we still led by 1 and it felt like a small win right there to keep our momentum going. The rest speaks for itself!
That was due to the crowd, we weren't big but we were mighty

So not a top 25 team by your estimation? Maybe not now lol.

I don’t think they are a 5-7 team this year and neither are we. I think we probably have taken a bigger step forward than they have, but I would be surprised if they aren’t ranked by end of season.
Sure they aren't a top 10 team, but that offense is legit, particularly that QB. They may not be Bama, but their offense is light years better than Bama. Because they are in the SEC, they will probably finish 8-4 or so, but don't downplay the talent they have.

Advertisement
Flagg looks like a different guy in this scheme.. It matters.
Bruh, I was just about to say that. I've watched the game like 3 times. I was like, "Wait.....is that Flagg? Holy ****... that is him? No way". Kid looks way different in this scheme.... maybe because the coaches are asking him to do things that he can actually do.

I am not as high on the defensive performance nor am I even getting into the James Williams hype that is being bestode after this one game. I am far from a mope but the backend of this defense had lots of miscommunication, could barely get aligned in the first half. Way too many wide open guys running free underneath. looked a lot like MannyNodiaz . I'm not down on Guidry at all but he is coaching mostly guys that played for Manny. Special Teams blunders cost Miami in the first half with prime field position but that doesn't excuse the defense from at least forcing 1FG attempt out of those. Its not an excuse to lay down. One glaring improvement was just absolute effort and rallying to the football, very un MannyNodiaz like. I believe thats where all this excitement is coming from on the Defensive side. The D gave up 33pts, thats mediocre, take yourself away from the excitement of the win, the offense won this game. I have said this since James Williams showed up, he isn't a space safety. He needs to line up no more than 10yd off the ball to where he can be a force in the run game and intermediate pass game. He has no chance of being a safety in the NFL, he doesn't have the speed, quickness or agility. He is also a penalty waiting to happen. Just my opinion so Neg away. I like Guidry a lot but he knows that was mediocre defense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back