Post Game Recap: Miami of Ohio

Good stuff, need to get somebody else more burn than Horton, he looked lost out there, maybe Harrell or get Joseph on the field more.
I might be too optimistic here but Horton is an impressive kid. I hope to see him take some steps in those games after A&M because it could simply be a bit of deer in headlights thing going on

I still remember Stacey Coleys first game and Stephen Morris literally ripping his helmet off and screaming “get him out!” to the sidelines when Coley kept dropping passes

Advertisement
I’m waiting to see how things go against more parallel competition like TAMU before I make too definitive of an opinion of the Offense overall. I think in-part the gameplan vs Miami of Ohio was specifically due to TVD’s hand & the idea that this team would be an easy W once we establish control of the line of scrimmage, just due to the massive talent disparity.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with the run game being the primary core of the offensive identity, if it works; but in order for us to beat teams like TAMU, UNC, FSU, we 1,000% without question have to have a good passing attack. Being conservative & trying to play safe will lose us those games, so it’s either we attack & score TD’s or lose trying to have field position battles & kick FG’s all day.

The thing that gives me hope is the fact that Dawson has had a multifaceted playbook before; I’ve watched a ton of Dawson’s Offense at pretty much every stop he’s been at once he was hired by Miami & he’s essentially run both styles/philosophies of Offense. At West VA & Houston, he had a very high Octane Air Raid style that incorporated heavy quick passing attacks, at Kentucky, he had an extremely slow & methodical Bro style bro Run heavy system, at Southern Miss he had high volume passing offense when he had a good QB in Nick Mullens & when he left for the draft he switched to a Run Heavy Pistol-Spread & produced a 1400yd rusher out of it. Even when he was at SFA he produced a 3700yd passer & helped lead them to the playoffs for the first time in their school history in 09.

So point being, he’s not a complete headstrong stubborn OC who doesn’t know how to mix it up when necessary, he’s a smart guy. Obviously, Mario of course always wants to have a strong run game, but if it comes down to winning or losing games & the difference is moving the ball through the air, then I don’t see a scenario where Dawson wouldn’t be allowed to call those plays & Air it out in order to put points on the board. He absolutely has the play designs in his ****nal to dial up a bevy of passing concepts in order to get in the end zone, so it’s why I’m not worried right now about the pass vs run ratio.

It will just come down to not being hardheaded & doing what works in order to win. I’m probably not as in love with Mario as most others are, but I don’t think he’s that much of a psychopath to sacrifice W’s all for the sake of pounding the rock lol. I think he wants to win above all else, even if it’ll make him grind his teeth seeing us throwing it down field too much, but I don’t think he’d force Dawson to do something that doesn’t work just for the sake of his own ego...
(At least I hope not lol)

And I definitely agree that RB’s & TE’s need way more incorporation into the passing attack as well. RB’s I’m not too worried about because they’ll essentially be the staple of the Offense & even on Friday there were multiple routes where the RB’s where the checkdown route out of the backfield, it’s just the WR’s were pretty much open all game. But TE’s I’m waiting to see what happens there...

I’m not sure that TE’s will have a huge role in the passing game, other than Blocking, at least that’s definitely what McCormick will be doing because that what he was brought here for, to block. But it remains to be seen how Arroyo (if he ever gets healthy), Skinner & Riley Williams will be used exactly. I would imagine Skinner if he gets chances to play will be lined up as a Flex-Out Y & not necessarily a traditional TE. But for the rest of the group, their #1 job will most likely be Blocking.
Probably the best Shannon Dawson post you’re ever gonna read right here

I’m waiting to see how things go against more parallel competition like TAMU before I make too definitive of an opinion of the Offense overall. I think in-part the gameplan vs Miami of Ohio was specifically due to TVD’s hand & the idea that this team would be an easy W once we establish control of the line of scrimmage, just due to the massive talent disparity.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with the run game being the primary core of the offensive identity, if it works; but in order for us to beat teams like TAMU, UNC, FSU, we 1,000% without question have to have a good passing attack. Being conservative & trying to play safe will lose us those games, so it’s either we attack & score TD’s or lose trying to have field position battles & kick FG’s all day.

The thing that gives me hope is the fact that Dawson has had a multifaceted playbook before; I’ve watched a ton of Dawson’s Offense at pretty much every stop he’s been at once he was hired by Miami & he’s essentially run both styles/philosophies of Offense. At West VA & Houston, he had a very high Octane Air Raid style that incorporated heavy quick passing attacks, at Kentucky, he had an extremely slow & methodical Bro style bro Run heavy system, at Southern Miss he had high volume passing offense when he had a good QB in Nick Mullens & when he left for the draft he switched to a Run Heavy Pistol-Spread & produced a 1400yd rusher out of it. Even when he was at SFA he produced a 3700yd passer & helped lead them to the playoffs for the first time in their school history in 09.

So point being, he’s not a complete headstrong stubborn OC who doesn’t know how to mix it up when necessary, he’s a smart guy. Obviously, Mario of course always wants to have a strong run game, but if it comes down to winning or losing games & the difference is moving the ball through the air, then I don’t see a scenario where Dawson wouldn’t be allowed to call those plays & Air it out in order to put points on the board. He absolutely has the play designs in his ****nal to dial up a bevy of passing concepts in order to get in the end zone, so it’s why I’m not worried right now about the pass vs run ratio.

It will just come down to not being hardheaded & doing what works in order to win. I’m probably not as in love with Mario as most others are, but I don’t think he’s that much of a psychopath to sacrifice W’s all for the sake of pounding the rock lol. I think he wants to win above all else, even if it’ll make him grind his teeth seeing us throwing it down field too much, but I don’t think he’d force Dawson to do something that doesn’t work just for the sake of his own ego...
(At least I hope not lol)

And I definitely agree that RB’s & TE’s need way more incorporation into the passing attack as well. RB’s I’m not too worried about because they’ll essentially be the staple of the Offense & even on Friday there were multiple routes where the RB’s where the checkdown route out of the backfield, it’s just the WR’s were pretty much open all game. But TE’s I’m waiting to see what happens there...

I’m not sure that TE’s will have a huge role in the passing game, other than Blocking, at least that’s definitely what McCormick will be doing because that what he was brought here for, to block. But it remains to be seen how Arroyo (if he ever gets healthy), Skinner & Riley Williams will be used exactly. I would imagine Skinner if he gets chances to play will be lined up as a Flex-Out Y & not necessarily a traditional TE. But for the rest of the group, their #1 job will most likely be Blocking.
Good stuff and thanks for discussing with me. The TE situation is perplexing to me. You have matchup nightmares in Arroyo, Williams and Skinner and it would be a collosal waste of talent to relegate that trio to solely blocking. Then why go after Amir Jackson Devon Mitchell and Caleb Odom? Especially with TVD as the QB.

TVD Emory both looked good.

Chaney was a pleasant surprise and proved he has the talent to be THE guy

Finally looks like we have a WR trio that can be a strength instead of a weakness in George, Restrepo, young.

Francisco and Bissainthe are both studs and need to be the starters, Wesley is too talented to keep on the sidelines

Bain and Damari Brown will be good players here, but Mesidor and Porter need to be starters. Too talented and expirienced to keep off the field.

Good stuff and thanks for discussing with me. The TE situation is perplexing to me. You have matchup nightmares in Arroyo, Williams and Skinner and it would be a collosal waste of talent to relegate that trio to solely blocking. Then why go after Amir Jackson Devon Mitchell and Caleb Odom? Especially with TVD as the QB.
It could’ve just been the gameplan for Miami of OH.

It’s still early & I think we’ll see more of the TE’s as the season progresses.

But when McCormick is in the game, he’s an OL first.

Advertisement
TVD Emory both looked good.

Chaney was a pleasant surprise and proved he has the talent to be THE guy

Finally looks like we have a WR trio that can be a strength instead of a weakness in George, Restrepo, young.

Francisco and Bissainthe are both studs and need to be the starters, Wesley is too talented to keep on the sidelines

Bain and Damari Brown will be good players here, but Mesidor and Porter need to be starters. Too talented and expirienced to keep off the field.
Mesidor and Bain lined up together quite a bit at DT on third downs. Mesidor is definitely the main guy on the line and Guidry went out of his way to get Bain on the field. Gave me the vibe they want Meisdor, Deen, Bain, Kelly to be the top 4 with snaps

Arroyo was still out with the hamstring.
Riley Williams got in when Emory was QB and made a nice play/catch. Maybe we’ll see more. Guessing Skinner has just been too inconsistent or got himself in the doghouse somehow.

I was reading A&Ms board earlier and they were also complaining about the lack of plays to their TEs.

Mesidor and Bain lined up together quite a bit at DT on third downs. Mesidor is definitely the main guy on the line and Guidry went out of his way to get Bain on the field. Gave me the vibe they want Meisdor, Deen, Bain, Kelly to be the top 4 with snaps
The thing about both Mesidor & Bain is that they’re very versatile & can be lined up along all 4 spots on the DLine.

You can play both of’em at 2,3,4,5 & even 7-tech. **** you could probably have them line up at 0 & stunt on 3rd down pass rushing situations.

The thing about those 2 is they have really high motors & extremely active hands, so regardless of size disparities in matchups, they’ll give most OL’s real problems because they’re just always fckin moving & OL’s hate having to Block a DL that just won’t stay still lol

“As far as Special Teams, I get having Restrepo back there because he’s reliable & will catch it most of the time, but I really would like to one of the speedsters we have on the roster get a chance. Having a dynamic return man changes the flow of a game & forces teams to have another element to worry about when strategizing during game week. Doubt it will happen, but just put some explosive speed back there & see how it goes..”

I agree with u but also disagree at the same time bc of our past history doing this. Tyreek last year Jeff Thomas against in every big game. We muff punts like no other leave X back there and just catch the ******* ball LOL
I agree lmao. At least for this year. Schedule is so trash all we have to do is focus on not killing our selves with awful mistakes, and 9 wins should be easy. Taking the recruiting class from that momentum, and start getting more risky back there next year to take the next step.

Advertisement
Wrong it was a perfect throw that was about to drop right into the hands of our guy but the defender made an amazing leaping int. Go rewatch the play. If that defender doesn't get there it's a nice completion.

It starts at the 2:25 mark.

Baby you faking the funk. While it did look underthrown from where I was sitting, video shows that he was, again, behind the receiver with the throw.

If this hits him in stride (elite NFL throw that TVD has thrown on occassion) it's 6 points.

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h12m25s527.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h13m29s457.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h13m41s057.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h13m49s907 (1)-1.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h14m03s063.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h14m03s063 (1)-1.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h21m22s275.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-03-12h21m22s275 (1)-1.png

Don’t fall for it…….. Mario is gonna call for 5 straight up the gut runs plays just like he did against lil’ Miami

Last edited:
Advertisement
If I’m not mistaken, didn’t the announcer say Miami(OH) were one of the favorites to win the MAC if true they are not a “bad” team

Them and Buffalo are the interchangeable picks to finish second in the East, behind Ohio, since Ohio somehow got that elite QB to come back.

But none do the teams are projected to be “good.” The best team in the East is only projected to be like 90th overall in the country in the SP+.

The MAC is the worst conference in college football the last few years. So even the best teams in it are absolute dog sh*t.

Miami OH is the same. They didn’t score 30 points against a single team last year. Which seems impossible.

Advertisement
I didn’t mention this in the OP because I wasn’t sure if I was nitpicking, but Brashard Smith...

He’s like fast, but has no wiggle & no burst.

Yeah I know the opening kickoff was really nice taking it to the 40, but IMO, I thought he was gonna house it. He looked like he had an open lane once he got around the corner, but then it seemed like he just got closed in on. It was a nice return, I’m just saying, it felt like he should’ve took it the house.

And on his screen play, he didn’t gain any yardage, again not trying to nitpick, it just seemed like he couldn’t make anyone miss or get up field.

Maybe I’m completely off on this one & have no problem with anyone who may see it differently, but idk it just seems to me like he’s fast but just lacks shiftiness. But maybe I’m just tripping & over analyzing on this one.
I agree 100%. I think it’s his vision for running lanes. He seems to have only one move, which is to keep stretching to the sidelines in the hopes he can outrun everybody. I’ve thought this for as long as he’s been here. You very rarely see him find a lane to cut back upfield and break the play out of a foot race to the sideline.

Did jadais richard play at all? Swear he was sounding like our number 1 corner in camp
He’s not really a CB, he’s more of a Safety/STAR than anything.

And Camp reports are always over-inflated, you have to take everything you hear from the preseason hype machine with a grain of salt. Camp reports are designed to get fans to buy in & believe, it’s not really about giving you what’s actually happening.

View attachment 254544

Tyler Van Dyke - 17/22 - 201yds 1TD & 1INT

Henry Parrish Jr - 9car 90yds & 1TD

Mark Fletcher Jr - 9car 76yds & 1TD

Ajay Allen - 8car 47yds

Donald Chaney Jr - 8car 38yds & 1TD

Colbie Young - 4rec 79yds & 1TD

Xavier Restrepo - 5rec 68yds

Jacolby George - 6rec 56yds

Riley Williams - 1rec 18yds

Tyler Harrell - 1rec 14yds

Offense gained 493yds total (243 passing, 250 rushing) with 61 plays at 8.1 yards per play, getting 26 1st downs, going 3/7 on 3rd down, with 32:52 in time of possession.

Offense set the tone out the gate with a 3 play 56yd opening drive that resulted in Colbie Young getting the first TD of the season off a nice barrel screen. Restrepo with the very good downfield sealing block that gave Young the lane to get to the end zone.

TVD started off hot & in rhythm completing his first 8 passes, but then simmered down as the game progressed. Obviously, the finger injury might have affected his Deep ball, but we really didn’t take too many shots down field to begin with & wasn’t necessary for an opponent of this caliber. The INT was not his fault. As much as I know many of you are foaming at the mouth to put that on him, that was simply a good coverage pick where the Rover did a good job disguising his depth in his coverage shell & made a good read on the ball. It was a well drawn up play & JG was wide open, it was just good counter-coverage by the Redhawks.

Not worried about TVD one bit; the reads are all there in this Offense & when they need to throw the ball & stretch the field they can. However, it is clear that running the ball will be the primary foundation of our Offensive identity, for better or for worse.

The RB’s looked good, running behind this OL will make their jobs a lot easier but considering the circumstances they ran very well & helped control the flow of the game. Oh btw, who started the game as the 1st RB? What’s his name, Henry something??? Oh yeah, that guy.

The much maligned back was once again the most productive while sharing the same sample size as the rest of the group but lets not say that too loud because “hE sUcKs!”.

For the WR’s it was clear that Colbie is the best among the starters, he plays with fire, twitch & has a high motor. He definitely will be playing on Sundays next year. Big long-stride runner with good hands & can run routes very well. Great find by MariZO.

Restrepo as always is Mr. Consistent; gets open, makes tough contested catches & gives 100% maximum effort. It’s too obvious to compare him to Berrios, but that’s pretty much exactly who he plays like lol.

Isiah Horton ain’t ready yet IMO. I know it’s early being just 1 game against a significantly lesser opponent, but he just doens’t have the “juice” so to speak. On that play early in the 1st quarter (on the 2nd drive actually) where TVD had him in the end zone for what would’ve been a TD but he fell down after running into Miami OH’s Safety, he just looked overwhelmed or as if he was trying to compose himself finally getting a chance to play in a game. Maybe the lights will come on as the season progresses & he gets more comfortable, but to me he didn’t look like he be playing significant snaps, JMO.

The OL is definitely revamped. Anez Cooper aside from 2 false start penalties is an absolute locomotive when’s he’s pulling & getting up the field looking for defenders to clear. Between him, McCoy, Okunlola, Lee, Mauigoa, Cohen & McCormick we have a 7-8 man OL group that is big, mean & can move. Obviously, it was against a Miami of Ohio who sucks, so we’ll see how they do against TAMU, but so far so good.

Defense:

Francisco Mauigoa - 5tcks 0.5TFL’s

Te’Cory Couch - 4tcks

Jaden Davis - 3tcks & 1PD

James Williams - 3tcks & 1PD

Kamren Kinchens - 3tcks

KJ Cloyd - 3tcks & 1TFL

Jahfari Harvey - 2tcks 1 sack & 1TFL

Wesley Bissainthe - 2tcks 1 sack & 1TFL

Jared Harrison-Hunte - 2tcks

Akheem Mesidor - 2tcks

Davonte Brown - 2tcks

Bobby Washington Jr - 2tcks 0.5 sacks & 0.5TFL’s

Branson Deen - 2tcks & 1TFL

Nyjalik Kelly - 1tck 0.5TFL & 1PD

Defense held Miami of Ohio to just 215 total yards & just 51yds rushing. Only gave up 9 1st downs the whole game & forced them to 2-12 on 3rd down, at 4.4ypc, with 2.5 sacks & 5.5TFL’s all while not giving up a TD.

The Defense in general looked night & day from last year, overall team speed on the front 7 has been the biggest improvement. The DL was hyperactive & was forcing pressure against the pocket all game. Gabblert (yes I spelled it incorrectly on purpose) was flushed out of the pocket on numerous occasions & did not have time to process his reads, their OL simply were physically & athletically outmatched.

The biggest difference from last year & really any year you wanna count going back to 2017, was LB play. WE. FINALLY. HAVE. LB’S. AGAIN!. The LB depth of Mauigoa, Cloyd, Bissainthe, JW, Bobby Wash Jr & even Keontra Smith has made the Defense just that much more efficient in terms of covering the middle of the field, in both the run game & pass game. Throughout the Miaz era the middle of the field was completely neglected, but with Guidry you can see he places an emphasis on his coverage Zones with the LB group & does not give free releases to the seam; Dear God, our prayers have been answered 🙏🏽.

Bissainthe is coming into his own, many were ready to throw in the towel on this kid with the addition of Cloyd, but Bissainthe showed what all the hype can be about with him. Speed, instincts & tackling, he’s got it. Expect more from Wes, he’s legit.

The DB group had a pretty easy day, Miami of Ohio lost their best WR to the NFL, so it’s not like they had any world-beaters in that group & none were any kind of speed demons, so all they really needed to do was keep everything in front of’em.

Kam, Markeith & JW, played well for the Safety group, they were all over the field & you can see that Guidry likes to mix it up with his coverage calls. He did the same thing at Marshall where he essentially had a 4-man Safety group & all of them were used in multifaceted ways. His version of the 4-2-5 differs so much from Miaz’s because he actually allows the Safety’s to roam & play their shells. In Miaz’s scheme the Safety’s have to do EVERYTHING, because he completely undervalued LB’s, which put the responsibility of the run game on the Backend instead of the LB group who were merely used for Blitzing. It’s why our Safety’s would always lead the team Tackles under him, because they essentially had to do the job of 2 different position groups.

Among the Corners, Darryl Porter Jr played very well in coverage. He looked like he did his Sophomore year at West VA, which is why I liked the transfer when it first happened. He can cover & plays with good physicality at the top of routes, he figured out how to get his head around & play the ball, which kept him from getting penalized on that one play early in the game in the Red zone.

Jaden Davis had a nice PBU on a deep ball to the end zone. He played it with textbook coverage, stayed in the hip pocket, read the WR off his break to the fade, pressed against the chest to close the distance, got his head around to track the ball & then got his hands active to disrupt the catching-point of the WR. Good coverage on his part.

The CB group is interesting; between the Brown brothers, Davis & Porter Jr I think we have a solid 4 that can hold up for most of the season, the question will be how do they handle more Speedy WR’s? TAMU & UNC will be big tests for this group, if they can survive those games, until we see Clemson they really won’t have too much to worry about.

Overall the Defense did what they were supposed to do, which was beat a really really bad Offense. I can’t stress this enough to yall, Miami of Ohio’s Offense is terrible, like really really sh*tty. Now considering how bad we’ve performed in the past against really sh*tty Offenses they still deserve credit for handling their business & not letting these bums score.

Guidry is a real DC, he understands the multiplicity of disguised looks pre-snap & how to use angles to create free rushing lanes when sending LB’s on Zone-Dog or Overload Blitzes. He doesn’t just send everybody through the A & B gaps & call Cover 0 lol. He forces the QB to make quick decisions before the pocket is collapsed & the coverage Shells he designates on the backend give the LB enough time to get home to disrupt throwing lanes. That’s not an observation just off yesterday’s game, he did the same thing at SELA & Marshall, he’s the exact kind of DC this team has needed after the year of Miaz & Steele’s complete asleep at the wheel act last year.

This Defense will reflect Guidry’s personality & leadership qualities, fast & aggressive, but also smart & cognizant, as opposed to the years of recklessness & dis-concern for whole parts of the field. He will undoubtedly be the best DC we’ve had here in years... It’s imperative we don’t let him get away after this season, if/when LSU & other SEC teams come calling, we’re gonna have to give him a nice extension.

As far as Special Teams, I get having Restrepo back there because he’s reliable & will catch it most of the time, but I really would like to one of the speedsters we have on the roster get a chance. Having a dynamic return man changes the flow of a game & forces teams to have another element to worry about when strategizing during game week. Doubt it will happen, but just put some explosive speed back there & see how it goes...

Overall, it was a good team win against a bad. We did exactly what we should’ve been doing. This is why you don’t need to make excuses for bad losses, because they’re inexcusable. Miami is not a talent devoid D3 school, we have had plenty of talent to not lose so many games against teams we were head & shoulders better than in every aspect of the game. Winning games against teams like this is WHAT. WE’RE. SUPPOSED. DO. But with the that said, getting a W is always nice & should be celebrated.

A big season defining game is next week; you may think not, but ask yourself, what’s a better way to show that we’re not the same ol’ Miami of the last 2 decades than beating an overrated TAMU team? It’s not like they went 10-2 last year or have had a lot of immediate success in the Jumbo Fisher era, dude has not won more than 8 games since he’s been at TAMU & despite having great recruiting classes & an on-paper highly talented roster, his Corching leaves a lot to be desired, especially on Offense.

Guidry is going to earn his keep for this game because even though they brought in the Motorcycle-Man himself Philanderer Bobby P, I wouldn’t expect too much of an overhaul of TAMU’s offensive scheme. They’re going to stay true to Jumbo’s 1994 Terry Bowden Auburn Offense, their passing game might have a few new wrinkles, but the core of the concepts of the Offense will remain the same; Run the ball, work the seams with the TE & Play Action passes on the Deep ball to get it in the red zone. TAMU is not going to do anything too exotic or off the cuff from what they always do, it will come down to 2 things; 1) FILM STUDY & 2) COMPETITIVE WILL. How well prepared will be to get ahead of their run game & shooting the gap against those cutback lanes & how bad does the team want to beat TAMU?

They’re not an invincible juggernaut; this ain’t Bama, UGA, Clemson or even LSU, they are probably the most beatable team in the SEC not named Florida. So instead of making a million excuses as to why we can’t, why not just beat them & join the club of everybody else who has done it? Winners win & losers make excuses for why they can’t win, so which one are we?

Go Canes

Good work mate! This is first class journalism.

Advertisement
Back