Post Game Recap: Clemson

I mean to me it is.
Eh I don't know.

Like you might be right regarding statistically I just don't like it as a way to operate. Against comparable competition I think going 3 and out really handicaps us, and even if we score fast, less time for the defense to recover and now we're potentially behind and now we're all out of whack.

I just think the cost of too high when we could take our time and win and score anyway.
 
Eh I don't know.

Like you might be right regarding statistically I just don't like it as a way to operate. Against comparable competition I think going 3 and out really handicaps us, and even if we score fast, less time for the defense to recover and now we're potentially behind and now we're all out of whack.

I just think the cost of too high when we could take our time and win and score anyway.
You presume we can't go 3 & out while going slow & methodical? Actually, the slower pace you go increases the % of going 3 & out exponentially.

You can take your time & go slow against weak teams with bad Defenses. When it championship time, you better be able to strike fast & score quick or else you'll be playing panic ball late in the game because you're playing from behind in a deficit. Which then gives the opposing Defense the advantage because it limits your play calls & makes it harder for your protection schemes.

Not to mention, this year's OL isn't a group I would chance it too much with trying to Bullyball in crunchtime. I don't think you want playoff caliber Defenses tee'in off against this OLine when our backs are against the wall & we have to drive the length of the field to win a game.

We've been able to play the way we play thus far this season because we get an early comfortable lead & let our Defense hunt in the 3rd & 4th quarter. That dynamic changes against good teams coming down the stretch in a one score game.
 
You presume we can't go 3 & out while going slow & methodical? Actually, the slower pace you go increases the % of going 3 & out exponentially.

You can take your time & go slow against weak teams with bad Defenses. When it championship time, you better be able to strike fast & score quick or else you'll be playing panic ball late in the game because you're playing from behind in a deficit. Which then gives the opposing Defense the advantage because it limits your play calls & makes it harder for your protection schemes.

Not to mention, this year's OL isn't a group I would chance it too much with trying to Bullyball in crunchtime. I don't think you want playoff caliber Defenses tee'in off against this OLine when our backs are against the wall & we have to drive the length of the field to win a game.

We've been able to play the way we play thus far this season because we get an early comfortable lead & let our Defense hunt in the 3rd & 4th quarter. That dynamic changes against good teams coming down the stretch in a one score game.
Right, I don't disagree with you vs less talented team.
I don't think pace matters either way vs those teams, since we'll score no matter what. I don't disagree on the last two paragraphs, but again talent level, which we both agree on. And to be fair we both want us to be up ahead and early

I don't know statistically if fast pace (I'm assuming seconds between snaps) equals more points or vice versa. Sounds like you do. Which I'm not arguing that, but again is that statistics against same talent level. I'm playing devil's advocate a little to have intelligent football conversation. I do think we should be able to go at both places.

I'm looking at it from a team possession amount and time of possession. We went faster vs Clemson but we had more snaps then we normally do. I think Mario would rather have the offense have 80 snaps a game with the defense having 40, so they're always fresh and the opposing offense is cold. I also think he understands the game has to have explosive plays too. It's a fine balance and really it's a bit of an artwork and hard to do esp daily against equal or better talent.
 
Seeing how we started to run on a football teams defense that had some good players on the first and second level in the 4th was another tell that we're right at the top. Six years ago, Clemson could line up in whatever Mug look they wanted and it would be instant pressure with no run game for us that we could've used.

Now, we block it up correctly, we have a QB that can get drilled and still complete passes and we can hand the football off and let a freshman do work. How times have changed. Three years ago, we jumped up and down about beating Clemson in OT, on Sunday we expected our team to kick the **** out of them. And they did, with a boatload of key players not playing or being subbed out for injury.

There's something different about this team. I've always said we're our biggest opponent and we have been, because we lacked some mental fight in the past to overcome tough situations and equally do business against lesser opponents. We've done both now facing tremendous physical challenges. I'm excited. We can do it all whilst getting healthier.
 
"...Not to mention, this year's OL isn't a group I would chance it too much with trying to Bullyball in crunchtime. I don't think you want playoff caliber Defenses tee'in off against this OLine when our backs are against the wall & we have to drive the length of the field to win a game..."
6CqtwRdMYcUsU.gif
 
Back
Top