Post Game Plus/Minus: FAU

View as article
while im not a casey rodgers fan, i was impressed with his physical play and the fact he was almost always near the football

Advertisement
A little rusty but overall liked what I saw. Duke looks to have taken that next step, pass rush looked good, and even with the two drops you can see Coley is gonna be special. The rust gives Golden a few things to drive home this week.

By the end of the year Waters and Coley will be our best receivers.

Herb Just seems so smooth. I remember there was alot of talk about him being an excellent route runner with not plus speed....but man that kid can run

Def. impressed with the play of the D.

Like someone stated early, they had one drive the entire game. They just seemed to do alot better of tackling, stuffing the run, and being in the receivers back pocket. Granted it was FAU

Morris was fine, he made two bad plays (int and self completion) but like a few times last year was handicapped by big drops aka drive killers.

Denzel got excited and Edwards had another TD, but what can you do. Hopefully Duke is healthy and we get ready for UF.

Advertisement
The offensive line was embarrassing IMO. I'm going to leave it at that before I embarrass myself.
The new punter, O'Donnell, will save their *** at some point this season, kid is the goods.

It seems like we've been saying for **** near ten years that our OL doesn't play as big as their size would indicate. ditto for pulling OL in short yardage situations.

It wasn't pretty, but UM wins fairly easy against FAU 34-6.

52.png

It wasn't the dominating effort we thought, but this game was never really in doubt. Sure it should have been 21-0 at the end of the 1st quarter, but as soon as Duke scampered for his 53 yard TD the game was basically over.
Just in case you forgot, FAU put forth the same kind of effort last year up in Georgia where it was tied 14-14 at the half. So don't get all jammed up because FAU actually tried to win the game. Having said that, the offense needs to tighten stuff up for next week.

Plus:

+++++++Duke Johnson:
He was sick just like last year. He finished with 186 yards rushing on 19 carries, and an additional 38 yards receiving. He gave everyone a scare after he threw a block on Herb Water's TD, but he was fine.

+Herb Waters:
He made several plays, most notably his 63 yard TD on a reverse. While the offense was sleep-walking we needed someone besides Duke to make plays and he stepped up.

+The Entire Defense:
They didn't suck, that's for sure. Yea it's FAU, but remember Bethune-Cookman last year? FAU's offense did nothing save for 1 drive. I don't think there's a guy who gets more heat than K.C. Rodgers. I've hated on that kid too, but he made plays including a sack and forced fumble that set up a TD. They even stood tall in the red-zone to force FAU into field goals. They held FAU to less than 250 yards of offense and racked up 5 sacks. For comparison, we had 13 sacks all season last year.

+The Freshmen:
Outside of Stacy's drops there wasn't much to complain about from them. He'll be fine, I ain't got no worries. AQM was noticeable around the edge. Artie Burns looked good in coverage breaking up a couple of passes. The Gus Bus rumbled down the field a couple of times late in the game. And finally my boy Figatron was unleashing **** on people. He even has a pretty sweet Mile-High Salute celly going on.

Minus:

-The Offense:
It's hard to complain about the offense when they had over 500 yards in the game, but I'm going to. I expected a lot more, and outside of Duke there was a lot of sloppy play. Morris looked erratic at times (his INT looked awful), but the drops by Coley early on prevented them from getting into a rhythm. The O-Line got stuffed twice on 4th and short and that's unacceptable. Yea, Edwards was in on that last one, but it shouldn't have even taken 4 straight runs. The silver lining is that the coaches have all week to remind them that they need to get better if they want to beat Florida.

Thoughts?

Full recap in the morning.

not the offense the OFFENSIVE LINE ...they still have issues with small D lineman getting penetration...Morris was confused at times by FAU...that is scary...I saw the plays being ran play after play...so I a not to worried..

To me, we played like we were playing a team we expected to beat. We never really established a rhythm on offense. I felt like some of that was the play calling and some of it was execution. I get that we were being somewhat vanilla, but I expected our vanilla to be a little smoother. Overall, I'm happy with the win, I'm happy we did not have many injuries, and hope that Scott is not too seriously injured. That was a NFL caliber catch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The offensive line was embarrassing IMO. I'm going to leave it at that before I embarrass myself.
The new punter, O'Donnell, will save their *** at some point this season, kid is the goods.

They weren't embarrassing. Was FAU supposed to not try? As embarrassing as they were, they are two Coley drops and Gus Edwards lowering his shoulder from 600 yds of total offense and 52 pts. Our 2001 team put up 38 pts against Temple and Troy. This stuff happens against lesser teams across the country. We were leading Troy 17-7 in the third quarter in 2001 until a Reed pick 6.

Last edited:
We were sloppy but that's why you play the crap teams in the first game. The offense was very vanilla and I think that was on purpose. Coley will be fine 18 years old and first game nerves. The defense was good and I was very happy with it. Need to fix some stuff but overall happy with the game.

Advertisement
I was hoping for decisive darts out of play action and exploring the middle of the field. That was all but absent tonight. Maybe we were concealing it. Always difficult to tell with a new coordinator.

I feel like they were holding that stuff back.

It seemed like we were actively avoiding the middle of the field.

+10000...i thought the same thing

Fwiw bama score vs fau last yr was 40-7

That being said my disappointments were Stephen Morris and I am not sure i like all of the rotating of o lineman and I don't think I like it on defense. I understand the d line rotating but a lot of snaps the defense was not lines up at the snap of the ball

Advertisement
We look rusty but good W. My only thing is the DTs and OL looked like ****. Theres no way we out physical Ufak. What was the big thing on the board with Porter dude was on skates, Pierre is the only inside guy I like so far.

Porter may not be a 100% b/c of his back but i saw him do a good job disrupting the O-line today.... Luther Robinson also. Jelani Hamilton, Kamalu, Green, Chickilo, AQM, and Gilbert all did a very good job putting pressure on the QB.

The OL did a good job in pass protection but those Guards arent that good in run support at all.... Seantrel Henderson is the best of the bunch imo. he was mauling dudes all game for the most part.

Gotta be kidding me. Our Guards are our best 2 linemen. The problem is this stupid *** shuffle they're doing. Bunche is terrible no matter where you put him. I watched him whiff multiple times tonight. They put Feliciano back at the Guard spot and what do ya know, big run.

I agree about shuffle. Oline has to play as unit. Al needs to give up on the thought that they are interchangeable. Pick your five and grind until one drops, then sub for a little bit. I am all for completion but at some point there must be a winner. All these guys seem like they can play, but for some reason unit disappoints to often. Unless someone thinks Art has lost his stuff, then must be the plan.

I'm a HUGE fan of Gus. Kid looks like a player who will be a big contributor with an increased roll game by game.

The bad short-yardage offense and the WR's failure to get separation REALLY concerned me. And like somebody else said, that failure is probably on Coley because those guys were wide open against basically everyone last year.

Morris was fine, he made two bad plays (int and self completion) but like a few times last year was handicapped by big drops aka drive killers.

Denzel got excited and Edwards had another TD, but what can you do. Hopefully Duke is healthy and we get ready for UF.

Two bad plays? Both picks were embarrassingly bad, the self completion was a bone-headed play and he forced the ball into coverage all night. He wasn't fine, and certainly won't be fine if he plays like that against a better defense.

EDIT: I forgot that the one ball he threw low into the defender's hands wasn't counted as a pick. Some d!ck reminded me of that. It was still embarrassingly bad though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back