Post Game Analysis UM vs. WVU - Slight look ahead

Richt does a great job making in game adjustments but why do we struggle so much in the first quarter? That is literally the reason we lost to Notre Dame and UNC.

Usually coaches like to script their opening drives, and from what I can see Richt just forces his run game even when it is evident they are stacking the box. I think the first plays that are scripted should be the most explosive ones..especially after dealing an early turnover. Elite teams/playcallers make the other team pay for that.

This is something he HAS to fix if we are to take the next step.

Not true. Richt has stated numerous times that he does not want to line up and just chuck the ball. He attempts to give the offensive line a chance to establish the run.

He has said this almost every weak but many of you keep ignoring what he says. Also there is no need for an OC. We have looked good on offense but only lack an offensive line that can establish the run.
This is what concerns me about Richt as a play caller. Why not "chuck the ball" if that is what moves the chains? "Chucking the ball" won the game for us tonight (in addition to the defense playing lights out). Running on first and 2nd down into a stacked box almost put us in a hole if not for our defense and WVU shooting themselves in the foot.

I guess he is trying to not to become one dimensional. Chucking the ball is fools gold as you will need to be able to run and pass.

It's not whether you run or not, it's when and how.

Under center on 1st down? Dog **** with this OL
Out of shotgun after a few completions? Ok I get it

But balance for the sake of balance is "fools gold."

Advertisement
Richt does a great job making in game adjustments but why do we struggle so much in the first quarter? That is literally the reason we lost to Notre Dame and UNC.

Usually coaches like to script their opening drives, and from what I can see Richt just forces his run game even when it is evident they are stacking the box. I think the first plays that are scripted should be the most explosive ones..especially after dealing an early turnover. Elite teams/playcallers make the other team pay for that.

Not true. Richt has stated numerous times that he does not want to line up and just chuck the ball. He attempts to give the offensive line a chance to establish the run.

He has said this almost every weak but many of you keep ignoring what he says. Also there is no need for an OC. We have looked good on offense but only lack an offensive line that can establish the run.

I'm not ignoring what he is saying, you just made it clearer. Richt likes to establish the run but he is dealing a hand in which his ace is the OL and they are not pushing. So why go in, run a stretch vs 8 in the box. Why not let Kaaya make an audible, call some play action. That's the point im making...how many times this season did you see the first play of the game be in IFORM. WTF is that...guaranteed 2nd and 10 with the way our OL has played all season.

He has started slow in every single game and it came to bite us in October. The defense has always bailed him out in the first drives of the game, and guess what..when they didn't bail us out we were down an early 20 vs Notre Dame. At their house, that **** is hard to come back from. We have all seen he is a conservative play caller, he isn't meant to coach from behind IMO...the going can get too steep at times and needs to turn it up earlier. My .02

You think he would learn in his last game of the year...

There are two issues. UM can't establish the run and we have to use max protection just to pass the ball effectively. This is not the offense Richt wants to run. He has said it many times. Since the start of camp he has said over and over that he needs receivers who can play in space, take the top off a defense and speed.

When you can't establish the run nor pass protect it severely limits the options you have on offense. For us to even average 38 pts per game shows how well Richt knows his X's and O's on offense.

What's interesting about this debate is that, in all those games that the first quarter starts slow, his dfense is fresh, so he knows he can rely on that. Secondly, typically 2nd quarter is when it blows up. Ever think he was setting up the best to start spreading out that dfense , especially with all his RPO?

He averaged just under 40pts a game, within the ACC, which IF you've been following the bowl games is the strongest conference, easily. With all that being said, first year coming back as an OC and with a new team, players and conference, he did pretty well considering.

On a separate topic, Elder is really going to be missed. He single handedly blew up countless WVU bubble screens tonight because he got off his block. That is something our DB's have struggled with prior to this season.

I'll say this, reading the game day thread it reminds me of how bipolar a fan base this really is

kayaa stinks it up beyond all utter belief for basically an entire half, people ready to leave him in orlando

richards finally gets a ball and immediately houses it ( LOL ) and now after the lewis TD these same fans are like "kayaa is the man"

It's like they completely forget that had this beautiful defense not been out there busting their ***ing asses off waiting for a half hour for him to finally hit a routine pass, what kind of deficit would we have been in?

I'm glad he had a good game, I hope he goes and I wish him well

Advertisement
My favorite play from Coley was him man handling Antonio Crawford and blocking him 5 yards out of bounds on the Richards TD.

Blocked the kid completely off of my tv screen!

I'm not ignoring what he is saying, you just made it clearer. Richt likes to establish the run but he is dealing a hand in which his ace is the OL and they are not pushing. So why go in, run a stretch vs 8 in the box. Why not let Kaaya make an audible, call some play action. That's the point im making...how many times this season did you see the first play of the game be in IFORM. WTF is that...guaranteed 2nd and 10 with the way our OL has played all season.

He has started slow in every single game and it came to bite us in October. The defense has always bailed him out in the first drives of the game, and guess what..when they didn't bail us out we were down an early 20 vs Notre Dame. At their house, that **** is hard to come back from. We have all seen he is a conservative play caller, he isn't meant to coach from behind IMO...the going can get too steep at times and needs to turn it up earlier. My .02

You think he would learn in his last game of the year...

There are two issues. UM can't establish the run and we have to use max protection just to pass the ball effectively. This is not the offense Richt wants to run. He has said it many times. Since the start of camp he has said over and over that he needs receivers who can play in space, take the top off a defense and speed.

When you can't establish the run nor pass protect it severely limits the options you have on offense. For us to even average 38 pts per game shows how well Richt knows his X's and O's on offense.

I'm fuming at kayaa

richt has not deserved this silly hate

Defense and a run game win championships, you got a coach who believes in it 100% be happy and trust the guy

the o lines a joke, kayaa can't progress past his first read, can't hit coley with a lawn chair from 2 feet away..

38 ppg... excuse me?

On a separate topic, Elder is really going to be missed. He single handedly blew up countless WVU bubble screens tonight because he got off his block. That is something our DB's have struggled with prior to this season.

Pound for pound as good a tackling cornerback as Ive seen at UM....

Advertisement
Can't chunk the ball when kaaya misses throws... Stop being simple people. It starts with the line...

I'm going to hold off criticising Richt's playcalling until he gets a competent Oline in place and his own QB. Kaaya clearly isn't his cup of tea and limits what he can call.

Advertisement
Back