Post Game Analysis UM vs. WVU - Slight look ahead

amanan28

New_Era
Overview

I want to be as objective as possible with this analysis of the game and looking ahead into the future. While there were many disconcerting moments during the game, there were a lot of positives and we came out with the first bowl win in a decade and that is all we can ask for as fans.

Offense:

(Negative) – The beginning of the game was an absolute disaster and there was no rhythm for the offense. Bottom line we sucked in the first quarter going into the second, however it got better as the game went on. Mark Richt’s offense is one of the most inept offenses I have seen in today’s era of College Football. Within the first minutes of the game, you could see that nothing had changed over the course of a month in terms of execution/play calling. If over the course of a month new wrinkles are not added then not much else needs to be said, Richt’s offense will not change next year and this is what we are stuck with until an OC is hired. A true innovator at the OC position is the greatest asset any team can have, one that Miami lacks. It’s hard to imagine how our offense would look without David Njoku, Ahmmon Richards, Stacey Coley, and the flashes of Mark Walton. Those 4 are bailing out Richt just by their NFL talent alone.

(Positive) – We came into this game averaging 38.0 PPG and despite our efforts (lack thereof) in the first quarter, we ended showing out in the end. The offense got rolling after the play by Ahmmon Richards and we ended the first half with a bang. There were big plays all over the field and you could tell that on the run Ahmmon Richards was the best player on the field and it juiced up our team from that point on. Look, we have playmakers on our team, Richt’s problem are his slow starts and predictable play calling. In recent memory, we have been notorious by shooting ourselves in the foot by getting behind early/stupid mistakes (penalties). Still, if we get our playmakers are involved we are a hard team to beat, but we have to get to the point where we are literally force feeding the best players on our team. Richt started to do that over the course of the game.

The main issue with our offense is simply play calling. Film tells all and you can tell when other teams watch film on us, it translates to the field in their game planning. Whenever we line up in the IFORM and our FB slightly motions to his right/left…let me tell you where the run is going…wherever the FB is. If the FB does not motion it’s a dive. If Marquez Williams is in the game for us…we are running the football. That right there nullifies our efforts on that specific down, because the defense knows exactly what we are going to do. I hope next year that formation is scrapped because it hasn’t done **** for us all year.

Looking ahead into next season, one can say that Richt’s offense was limited by Kaaya’s ability to run and a guy like N’kosi Perry can change the dynamic of the offense with his athleticism. It is easy to be optimistic and I guess we will be in the wait and see mode. However, if this season was any indication of how the offense will be run and if wrinkles will be added…there is not much to look forward to and that is just the truth. I am not worried about the games we should win (GA Tech, Virginia, Pitt, Duke…etc.), I worry on offensive production whenever we play the big time schools in the near future. Will the offense change under a new QB or stay the same? Hopefully it’s the former.

Quarterback

Brad Kaaya is FAR from an NFL quarterback. If we want to make comparisons, Kaaya is very similar to Jets rookie QB, Christian Hackenberg. Both are the all-time leading passers for their respective schools, however have massive holes within their game and can look like a #1 pick at times and an undrafted free agent in others. I am one of those fans who is very indifferent about Kaaya leaving. I understand that this team has the chance to operate more efficiently with Kaaya under the helm, however I also see the fans frustrations with the inconsistency in Kaaya and lack of legs.

As for the future in the position, I seriously don’t know. If Kaaya leaves that gives the QB’s some good competition for the starting spot. I ultimately think Richt gives N’kosi Perry the reigns to his team and that is something to be excited about. I am one of the guys who likes Jack Allison and think he has serious potential, people forget he was an elite 11 QB and an UA All-American. Nonetheless we have a bright future.

Running Back

Not much to say here because Walton showed us what we already knew, he is clearly the #1 back. He showed flashes of what we have come to see all year, a back who is extremely hard to bring down. Improved OL play rockets his play and puts him into one of the top RB’s in college football conversation IMO. He also lays down the wood.

The one thing I will say is…man did this staff do Yearby wrong. I am not a Gus Edwards believer and with the talent we have in Homer and Mcfarland (if he comes) I don’t think Gus sniffs the field.

Yearby going to the draft if the right move for him. I always liked him, he was a 1000 yard rusher under the Golden years and was always a solid back. I think he received a lot of flak over his career simply because of the comparisons he had with Dalvin Cook. It wasn’t fair to him and I will appreciate his time as a cane.

Wide Receiver

Ahmmon Richards is the best player on the field at all times. That catch and run was a thing of beauty…I honestly thought he was going to get caught but he just kept going. Game plan for the future is to get this man the ball. IMO will be in the same breath as the greats that came before him here at the U.

Stacey Coley had a nice game with a couple of key catches to keep the drive going. What stood out to me was his blocking on the Richards run. I always appreciate a good football play by one of the premier WR on the team.

Malcolm Lewis sighting with his first TD of the year and on his last game as a Cane. Unfortunate events happened to him early in his career with the injury and never seemed like the same guy after it. I will always respect him for coming here and sticking through it, especially the way our program was going.

Berrios had a stupid play on punt return, not sure why he was so far up…nonetheless…good for him to get that TD to basically close the game out at the half. Props berries.

Offensive Line

The OL was decent today but is clearly the weak-link on our team. Besides the bonehead play by Alex Gall and the fact that KC McDermott should never see the field ever again, there isn’t much to say because there isn’t anything to praise and well IMO we have some guys on the line that won’t sniff the field next year.

Regardless or not if we hit our targets on the recruiting trail in Herbert/Slaton, I think the LSU transfer George Brown sees significant playing time and Donaldson is a day 1 starter.

For Richt’s offense to produce at an efficient level there needs to be a high level of OL play and we simply don’t have that. Let’s see what happens in recruiting to make any further judgements on the team.

Tight End

David Njoku is a goner and that is one of the more depressing things for me this offseason. This was his coming out year and he’s banking on it by leaving (should be obvious). Chief Njoku is a man-child, whenever he gets the ball in his hands he makes it look so effortless out there.

I don’t know if you guys remember all the plays but the one that stood out to me the most is when Njoku hurdled a defender early in the game in the middle of the field after breaking a tackle. He hurdled someone as he was breaking an arm tackle….unreal.

Herndon IV had some nice catches and I think he will take over Njoku’s role next year. Still, I think this group is wide open for competition and hopefully Haskins can stay out of the dog house as I think he has big potential as a receiving tight end.

Defense:

Manny Diaz is a future HC in the making. What he has done with this defensive unit over the course of the year is night and day from last year’s unit. I thoroughly enjoy watching the defense on the field and loathe watching the offense. Now think about where we were last year as a defense and have someone tell you about the production we would have this year…laughable.

WVU was averaging close to 600 yards a game and we held them WELL below that marker. Fantastic play from the Defense.

We have true freshman playing everywhere in every position group and we are young in all of those position groups as well (sophomores). This unit will be a top 5 unit next year in the world of College Football, they will win us games next year.

In today’s game the defense was truly lights out and if it wasn’t for our pathetic offensive display early we should have been up at least 35 going into the half. There really isn’t much to say, besides saying that the defense came to play and this is a group we can all bank on being even better next year. One year in the weight room and offseason training program, one more spring practice season…watch out America, The University of Miami defense is back!

Defensive Line

The front seven is the best unit on our team as a whole, and the backbone of the front seven is the DL. Joseph Jackson is an animal and reminds me a lot of Jason Pierre Paul. He will be an All American all 3 years here before he leaves the draft, something special.

There was a Courtel Jenkins sighting, not sure what the deal with him is on leaving or not but he showed quick glimpses of something positive. I want him to stay just for depth purposes.

Chad Thomas had some nice plays on the run, and the entire unit as a whole played exceptionally well. The youth and depth we have on this side of the ball is truly extraordinary and will be the best DL in college football next year.

Coach Kool has really proven his worth and has taken this unit to the next level. Can't wait to see next years group.

Linebackers

Zach McCloud had his breakout game of the year. This kid was all over the field and he just highlights what we already know….we are going to have the best trio of LB’s in football next year. I may have my canes shades on for that statement, but I truly believe these kids are special and one more year of offseason will do wonders.

Shaq and Pinckney had alright games nothing out of this world but solid enough. I will say that Shaq had a decent game, there wasn’t much to highlight/lowlight however as WVU was passing for most of their attack.

Darrion Owens looked like he was stuck in mud out there, maybe the knee isn’t fully healed but he looked slow which is alarming.
Besides our starting trio the backup spots are wide open for competition and the incoming freshmen will only make this unit that much better.

Defensive Back

Adrian Colbert was a very solid transfer for us and always played hard when he was in there. I don’t think there isn’t a screen play he hasn’t blown up whenever he was on the field. We were fortunate to have him for the short time we did.

Corn Elder wasn’t really tried today and had a good day out there keeping contain and tackling. Sad to see him go but he goes into the Draft as the most underrated corner. Hoping my phins pick him up in the second.

Rayshawn Jenkins had some nice tackles close to the LOS and I think he made some money tonight by the way he played. Jamaal Carter is just the anti-playmaker. Without knocking on the kid too hard, he just isn’t made to play safety IMO...too slow out there and not savvy enough to read the O.

Definitely a group that needs work in the offseason and we need true frosh to step up or guys like Redwine and Mayes need to take the next steps in their game.

I believe our front seven masks a lot of deficiencies of this group as havoc is always around the QB. This will be the case in 2017 with a predominantly young group. Next year we see what Rumph is made of.

Side Notes

It was nice to see the seniors come out with a bowl win and a good way for these seniors to go out, especially after everything they have been through. These next groups are the new wave for the University of Miami and I’m very excited for the future.

The chew clock play calling at the end, not a fan and will lose us games in the future. If it wasn't for those long gains for first down on 3rd down..this scared play calling will bite us. Go for the jugular.

• Commentators were spot on Brad Kaaya and him declaring/not declaring
• Good to see so many fans show out, truly seemed like a home game
• Targeting is an *** backwards call in a violent sport such as football. **** those officials
• Antonio Crawford sighting
• Crown Manny Diaz – El Jefe
• **** WVU (should never be mentioned in the same breath as the U)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good analysis. We will see petty and Allison next year. Richt has run a 2 QB system before, and I can't think of 2 different types of QBs to do thatbwith then these two.

Good analysis. We will see petty and Allison next year. Richt has run a 2 QB system before, and I can't think of 2 different types of QBs to do thatbwith then these two.

Please no 2 qb's. Find one and stick with him.

Advertisement
Richt does a great job making in game adjustments but why do we struggle so much in the first quarter? That is literally the reason we lost to Notre Dame and UNC.

Richt does a great job making in game adjustments but why do we struggle so much in the first quarter? That is literally the reason we lost to Notre Dame and UNC.

Usually coaches like to script their opening drives, and from what I can see Richt just forces his run game even when it is evident they are stacking the box. I think the first plays that are scripted should be the most explosive ones..especially after dealing an early turnover. Elite teams/playcallers make the other team pay for that.

This is something he HAS to fix if we are to take the next step.

Usually coaches like to script their opening drives, and from what I can see Richt just forces his run game even when it is evident they are stacking the box. I think the first plays that are scripted should be the most explosive ones..especially after dealing an early turnover. Elite teams/playcallers make the other team pay for that.

Not true. Richt has stated numerous times that he does not want to line up and just chuck the ball. He attempts to give the offensive line a chance to establish the run.

He has said this almost every weak but many of you keep ignoring what he says. Also there is no need for an OC. We have looked good on offense but only lack an offensive line that can establish the run.

Advertisement

Agreed.

Not true. Richt has stated numerous times that he does not want to line up and just chuck the ball. He attempts to give the offensive line a chance to establish the run.

He has said this almost every weak but many of you keep ignoring what he says. Also there is no need for an OC. We have looked good on offense but only lack an offensive line that can establish the run.

I'm not ignoring what he is saying, you just made it clearer. Richt likes to establish the run but he is dealing a hand in which his ace is the OL and they are not pushing. So why go in, run a stretch vs 8 in the box. Why not let Kaaya make an audible, call some play action. That's the point im making...how many times this season did you see the first play of the game be in IFORM. WTF is that...guaranteed 2nd and 10 with the way our OL has played all season.

He has started slow in every single game and it came to bite us in October. The defense has always bailed him out in the first drives of the game, and guess what..when they didn't bail us out we were down an early 20 vs Notre Dame. At their house, that **** is hard to come back from. We have all seen he is a conservative play caller, he isn't meant to coach from behind IMO...the going can get too steep at times and needs to turn it up earlier. My .02

You think he would learn in his last game of the year...

Last edited:

This is what concerns me about Richt as a play caller. Why not "chuck the ball" if that is what moves the chains? "Chucking the ball" won the game for us tonight (in addition to the defense playing lights out). Running on first and 2nd down into a stacked box almost put us in a hole if not for our defense and WVU shooting themselves in the foot.

Advertisement
Richt looked like a maestro tonight. Before Kaaya woke up, our wide receivers were running alone all over the field.

What Berrios punt return are you talking about? Surely not the last punt.

When he got tackled by grass because he had to run a mile to field a punt because he was too far up.

Dude that was a 60 yard punt in the air. He was positioned correctly and the guy boomed it. Now getting tripped by grass is just what happens to him it seems.

Advertisement

I'm not ignoring what he is saying, you just made it clearer. Richt likes to establish the run but he is dealing a hand in which his ace is the OL and they are not pushing. So why go in, run a stretch vs 8 in the box. Why not let Kaaya make an audible, call some play action. That's the point im making...how many times this season did you see the first play of the game be in IFORM. WTF is that...guaranteed 2nd and 10 with the way our OL has played all season.

He has started slow in every single game and it came to bite us in October. The defense has always bailed him out in the first drives of the game, and guess what..when they didn't bail us out we were down an early 20 vs Notre Dame. At their house, that **** is hard to come back from. We have all seen he is a conservative play caller, he isn't meant to coach from behind IMO...the going can get too steep at times and needs to turn it up earlier. My .02

You think he would learn in his last game of the year...

There are two issues. UM can't establish the run and we have to use max protection just to pass the ball effectively. This is not the offense Richt wants to run. He has said it many times. Since the start of camp he has said over and over that he needs receivers who can play in space, take the top off a defense and speed.

When you can't establish the run nor pass protect it severely limits the options you have on offense. For us to even average 38 pts per game shows how well Richt knows his X's and O's on offense.

This is what concerns me about Richt as a play caller. Why not "chuck the ball" if that is what moves the chains? "Chucking the ball" won the game for us tonight (in addition to the defense playing lights out). Running on first and 2nd down into a stacked box almost put us in a hole if not for our defense and WVU shooting themselves in the foot.

I guess he is trying to not to become one dimensional. Chucking the ball is fools gold as you will need to be able to run and pass.

Richt looked like a maestro tonight. Before Kaaya woke up, our wide receivers were running alone all over the field.

When Richt isn't afraid to throw on 1st downs then his offense looks solid. When he goes under center on 1st down it's dogsh!t. 2nd long n 3rd n long are killing this offense. Keep the defense honest with 1st down throws.

I guess he is trying to not to become one dimensional. Chucking the ball is fools gold as you will need to be able to run and pass.
But why force it if it isn't there? The running game opened up organically later in the game after Richt started attacking the defense with a vertical passing game and getting the ball to Richards and Njoku. Trying to force the run in the first quarter yielded absolutely nothing.

Advertisement
Back