Post Dorsey: Miami QBs vs Ranked Opponents

No he isn't.....Berlin was wayyy better than TVD.....If Clappy would have kept him in the Shotgun, and not under center he'd of been even better. 5-0 vs FSU & UF....

People were ready to run Berlin out of town in their vigorous defense of Coker. After that second half against UF in '03, Coker should have said F--- it and gone straight air raid. With that defense we would have been right back in the NC hunt.

Advertisement
In 04 he threw for 3,000yds 25 TDs and only 6 ints....he is the best QB since Dorsey....bad yr in 03??....and??....came back in 04 and was very good. It's okay to have an off yr, especially when the HC improperly used you half the time.
In 04 he had 2,650 yards, 22TDs & 5INTs - this was worse season than TVDs 10 games in 21’.

As for coaching failures, you could literally say the same about every QB on this list, so that’s nullified lol

In 04 he had 2,650 yards, 22TDs & 5INTs - this was worse season than TVDs 10 games in 21’.

As for coaching failures, you could literally say the same about every QB on this list, so that’s nullified lol
No....once again you're wrong....In 2004 Brock had 2,900+ yds....25 TDs and 6 Ints...Go to Wikipedia and the 2004 season...2,961 25 TDs 6 Ints

Last edited:
Advertisement
No chance. He led a great comeback vs UF… yet the reason we needed that comeback was because of him.

He’s the sole reason 03 team lost to VT & Tenn.
Not to mention he had triple the talent as TVD did & a top 5 defense in UM history in 03.

In fact if Berlin is just average Miami probably wins natty in 03.
he wasnt great but look what he is being judged against.

Are these numbers for teams that were ranked when we played them, or ending the regular season ranked? Big difference.

Advertisement
Brock was also one of the top recruits in the country at that time…We were still loaded when he came.
Blirrrrttttt! Flag on the play for unnecessary PORST! We don’t talk like dat on here playa
Scott Hall Wrestling GIF by WWE

Hey yo! Hit the Got **** Button

Which is realistically my case for TVD. People who think he’s average are funny, compared to what we’ve had the past 20 years.
TVD is the only one that’s had an OC that ran any type of spread/air raid principle offense. The game is more open now too. You can’t compare stats across generations or across offensive philosophies. You also can’t count wins, let alone wins vs ranked teams without naming those teams and accounting for how good Miami was at that time.

I get what you’re trying to do. And for the record I’m not a TVD hater. He’s good, not great. But this entire exercise is skewed to prove a point that can’t be proven the way you want it to.

Advertisement
TVD had a bad game...it happens. The int in the second half was terrible, but not worse than the penalty on our coach or fumble at the 1. Any which way, we weren't winning that game. We just aren't very good.

TVD is the only one that’s had an OC that ran any type of spread/air raid principle offense. The game is more open now too. You can’t compare stats across generations or across offensive philosophies. You also can’t count wins, let alone wins vs ranked teams without naming those teams and accounting for how good Miami was at that time.

I get what you’re trying to do. And for the record I’m not a TVD hater. He’s good, not great. But this entire exercise is skewed to prove a point that can’t be proven the way you want it to.
You saw what Berlin did when playing in a Air-Raid/Spread called game....you'd think that Clappy would've realized that, and kept him in an Offense that he was in all throughout HS... When you watch what he did against UF in 03, you simply can't understand wtf Clappy was thinking.

You saw what Berlin did when playing in a Air-Raid/Spread called game....you'd think that Clappy would've realized that, and kept him in an Offense that he was in all throughout HS... When you watch what he did against UF in 03, you simply can't understand wtf Clappy was thinking.
And that same thing happened to all those other QB’s until Lashlee got here. There are some talented kids on this list and it’s not all their fault, they didn’t pan out.

Advertisement
TDs and INTs still apply the same though.

Even worse when the under center QBs (Berlin, Wright) threw the ball on average 10 times less a game yet just as many turnovers.

Those systems were significantly less pass happy and more difficult to execute. A 60% completion percentage used to be very good.

Team Wins is not a QB stat. Aside from the 2003 UF game, when he was clearly very good in the 2nd half, he stunk out loud the rest of his career.

I won't argue the Clappy part...he didn't have much help as far as offensive creativity or playing to his strengths, but he wasn't a good player. But **** like beating a 9-3 FSU team in 2004 and not scoring a touchdown until there was 30 seconds to go in the game isn't really much to write home about.

2003 vs the gator was one of the best nights of my life, so if I ever met Brock, I would shake his hand simply for that. But he was average at best here.

In the 2 wins against FSU in the 2003 season, he was a combined 29/57 for 338 yards with 1 TD and 5 INTs. In 2 full football games. Those games were won in spite of Brock, not because of him.

Point of fact, in Brock's senior year (which was when Coach Clappy really started to show his weaknesses), having to suffer through the Coker/Werner offense which did not suit his skills best, and you had guys like Art Kehoe doing most of his recruiting calls from a booth at The Loggerhead in Coconut Grove ......
  • Brock finished 2004 with 2,961 yards and 25 touchdowns and only six interceptions
  • He beat 4 ranked teams, 2 of which were in the top 10
  • He beat FSU and UF
  • He's named Second Team All-ACC QB
I'm thinking: that's definitely better than average. I'll go out on a limb and say it was good.

Advertisement
Back