Post-camp thoughts (long)

Chase Smith at MLB is what I want to see. That length and aggression would make him a menace defending RPO’s and he’s got the foot speed to chase backside. The question, of course, is reading those A-gaps. Can he fill properly and not lose integrity? If so, get him on the field there.

Our striker covers like 55% of the time. I don’t see Carter excelling that way, but I’ve been wrong before. Coaches like him more than fans because of the smart part. Coaches love guys being where they’re supposed to be, for some reason even if they don’t finish the play.

The key to this offense this year is the guard play. Will we see improvement with the wide bodies? I believe so, but still need to see it.

A second key is having Brashard in the offense. Getting teams to respect the jet motion holds backside LB and S from killing the IZ handoff so consistently. Opens up lanes that we didn’t last year. Think Tutu and what he did for Louisville offense. Smith isn’t that type speed, but he can run like a RB.

My man D$ says, “I’m worried about DE” and then follows it up with LB is worst position. That’s four of your front seven on most plays. Not great, Bob.

We’ve got three CB’s we can play right now. Whew.

James Williams is what I expected early on. He’s not a safety at this level. Not twitchy enough and doesn’t tackle well in space. I said that on Twitter when he was a freshman in HS and he was not happy. I figured then that you had to play him as a S his freshman year to get him on campus and then move him to Striker, where he belongs. Think of how much you can condense passing windows with Williams at Striker and Chase Smith at MLB. If nothing else, I’m creating a package that gets those two on the field in passing situations. Rush the passer and condense throwing lanes.

The coaches are the biggest additions for this year. UNC exposed our defensive coaches.

Advertisement
The most important thing i took from that is Shoop, Trob and Simpson. I am confident that for the season our team will look like its properly coach. When u get proper coaches u get proper performances even from players that have no chance of going to the NFL.

The news about King is very encouraging too. I hope he has developed is ability to read the option because i think that was bigger problem than his deep ball. Lets strap it up and see where we at, we earned people's skepticism and now they must go and the field and remove some of it.
He’ll be better. He never was a read option QB before last year

Is Alabama the right time to throw Zion Nelson into the fire after being out for an extended period?
If healthy you have to if for no other reason than he has so much experience. But I think Scaife and Williams can do the job at tackle if Zion isn’t healthy.
But this team is going to be so much better with a healthy Zion at left tackle and Scaife as the 3rd tackle. Williams can play either side.

James Williams is what I expected early on. He’s not a safety at this level. Not twitchy enough and doesn’t tackle well in space. I said that on Twitter when he was a freshman in HS and he was not happy. I figured then that you had to play him as a S his freshman year to get him on campus and then move him to Striker, where he belongs.
Seems like a bit of an Allen Bailey situation

Advertisement
I don't think we need a 1A, alpha WR. Sure, it is nice to have opposing defenses have someone they always have to worry about bracketing, but we have enough weapons and play so fast that multiple guys should eat.

Super excited for X and B Smith in particular. Those 2, along with Harley and the TEs, allow for so many route combos. Guys like Roberson and Proche are great players, no doubt, but I have to think the SMU system helped them a lot. Bring either one here, and are they a 1A/B? I'd wager not.

IDK why James Williams wouldn't be used in an Isiah Simmons role. He would instantly be a guy that the QB needs to identify pre-snap. He can disrupt and impact in so many ways.

I read a few articles on LSU's freshman class dominating fall camp. Our freshman need to see the field, period. The 3 game strech between Bama and ACC play should tell us a lot in that regard.
He doesn’t move like Isaiah Simmons

Advertisement
Great stuff, D.

Question - how significant are Clark's and JC's injuries? IIRC, Clark had a shoulder from a car accident and JC had an ACL. Are these guys out for a while? Getting those guys into our rotation can make or break are ability to win this year.

If LBs and DEs somehow overachieve expectations and every other position group just meets expectations, we are an 11 win team and cover the spread vs Bama. There's so much talent on this team and we have the best coaching staff we've had in ages.

I'm drinking the kool-aid, fellas!!!

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

Advertisement
Most outsiders see Alabama and UNC as better than Miami. Fair. I do think 3 games on Miami's schedule are being undervalued by most.

UVA- is going to be tough. They are extremely well coached, and a tough physical bunch. They return their OL who played well against Miami last year, and their QB Armstrong is a gamer. We have played 4 tight games in a row vs. UVA, and I don't see a reason why this year should be any different.

N.C. State-I heard an analyst the other day saying he thinks this is the best team Doerean has had at State. The key is getting their QB Leary back. They have numerous All ACC selections. They should be really good offensively.

@Pitt-At Pittsburgh seems to always be a tough game, and they have their QB back.

The common theme is the QB play in the ACC is going to be very very good this year. Teams like VT and App State may not be walkovers either.
I agree with you. We need to realize that we went from a year losing close games to a year winning them. We really haven’t been dominating the middle coastal teams. We have been one of them in all reality.
This year we need to take that next step and not only win these games but do so convincingly.
If we can do that then we are on to something big.
go canes. Let’s get 10 wins and win a bowl game for once.

Chase Smith at MLB is what I want to see. That length and aggression would make him a menace defending RPO’s and he’s got the foot speed to chase backside. The question, of course, is reading those A-gaps. Can he fill properly and not lose integrity? If so, get him on the field there.

Our striker covers like 55% of the time. I don’t see Carter excelling that way, but I’ve been wrong before. Coaches like him more than fans because of the smart part. Coaches love guys being where they’re supposed to be, for some reason even if they don’t finish the play.

The key to this offense this year is the guard play. Will we see improvement with the wide bodies? I believe so, but still need to see it.

A second key is having Brashard in the offense. Getting teams to respect the jet motion holds backside LB and S from killing the IZ handoff so consistently. Opens up lanes that we didn’t last year. Think Tutu and what he did for Louisville offense. Smith isn’t that type speed, but he can run like a RB.

My man D$ says, “I’m worried about DE” and then follows it up with LB is worst position. That’s four of your front seven on most plays. Not great, Bob.

We’ve got three CB’s we can play right now. Whew.

James Williams is what I expected early on. He’s not a safety at this level. Not twitchy enough and doesn’t tackle well in space. I said that on Twitter when he was a freshman in HS and he was not happy. I figured then that you had to play him as a S his freshman year to get him on campus and then move him to Striker, where he belongs. Think of how much you can condense passing windows with Williams at Striker and Chase Smith at MLB. If nothing else, I’m creating a package that gets those two on the field in passing situations. Rush the passer and condense throwing lanes.

The coaches are the biggest additions for this year. UNC exposed our defensive coaches.

Great to hear the positive reports on Chase Smith. For just this year, I see he's only listed at 210 - but do you think he can hold up physically at MLB?

I also see Williams moving to Striker/LB as inevitable, that he wouldn't be a true Safety. Something I wish we did with earlier with Ray Ray Armstrong. Any news on how open Williams is to that since fall practice started?

Advertisement
If LBs and DEs somehow overachieve expectations and every other position group just meets expectations, we are an 11 win team and cover the spread vs Bama. There's so much talent on this team and we have the best coaching staff we've had in ages.

I'm drinking the kool-aid, fellas!!!

Excited Oh Yeah GIF
Lb’s aren’t nearly as concerning as de and ol. Depth is scary.

Keontra, Flagg, Cave , Steed and Brooks is way better than last year.

Advertisement
Back