Post-camp thoughts (long)

“Leonard Taylor is as advertised. He made big plays in both scrimmages and most practices. Think a bigger, stronger, better version of Gerald Willis being coached by Simpson.”

View attachment 152481

It moved.
Was literally going to comment on this. If that statement is accurate, I feel bad for the ACC interior OLs for the next 3 seasons. Good lord.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As mentioned to you off the board, I'll wait to see how Amari Carter is used.

Playing closer to the line and limiting his responsibilities to forward movements are both great for him. But, the Striker position doesn't always look like that on gameday. If he's our striker and I'm the opponent's OC, I'm trying to get him in man coverage ASAP. Our striker position ended up in man coverage a good bit over the last few years.

Unless something changed about AC's ability in space, I don't expect his reported practice prowess to transfer to game day outcomes - specifically, when it comes to spread formations. In the past, he just hasn't changed direction well. Hope we're smart and use him to his strengths (especially blitzing).
100%

Just don't see it at all with Carter. He's a walking 15 yard penalty

Advertisement
Most outsiders see Alabama and UNC as better than Miami. Fair. I do think 3 games on Miami's schedule are being undervalued by most.

UVA- is going to be tough. They are extremely well coached, and a tough physical bunch. They return their OL who played well against Miami last year, and their QB Armstrong is a gamer. We have played 4 tight games in a row vs. UVA, and I don't see a reason why this year should be any different.

N.C. State-I heard an analyst the other day saying he thinks this is the best team Doerean has had at State. The key is getting their QB Leary back. They have numerous All ACC selections. They should be really good offensively.

@Pitt-At Pittsburgh seems to always be a tough game, and they have their QB back.

The common theme is the QB play in the ACC is going to be very very good this year. Teams like VT and App State may not be walkovers either.

Of all the good news we’ve heard from camp, Carter turning into a stud after the position change is the pill I just cannot swallow.

“He’s more comfortable and natural at striker”? Yep, sure, get it. “He’s a revaluation.” Pardon?

It’s not even that I am so down on the guy, the equation just doesn't work for me.
Do you have something against him personally? It’s kinda a no brainer that him in the box is just a much more natural feel and better fit for him. It clearly highlights his strengths, physicality and IQ. Carter wasn’t out of position, he had speed limitations. Him having a “revelation” as a striker/ in side the box only helps our LB woes and the defense in general

I'm extremely excited about the offense and expect it to be elite - or close to it - finishing top 10-15. However, I expect the defense to be basically the same as last year. Better play from the DT's, LB's (cant get worse), and secondary but a huge drop-off from a pass rush perspective, which is the linchpin of the defense.

Advertisement
Do you have something against him personally? It’s kinda a no brainer that him in the box is just a much more natural feel and better fit for him. It clearly highlights his strengths, physicality and IQ. Carter wasn’t out of position, he had speed limitations. Him having a “revelation” as a striker/ in side the box only helps our LB woes and the defense in general
Indyfarthauz is a mope that loves to troll. He’s the only troll to ban himself.

You know I'm not surprised at Carter doing well at Striker....I've been yelling about this position switch since his freshman year. He was never a safety.

Put up a fight against Bama and make a good competitive showing. I want to see this team look prepared in a big game for once. After that game, it's basically a one game season. The success/failure of this season will be completely determined by what happens against North Carolina,

Win the Coastal and let's use that momentum to continue building via recruiting wins....which will eventually lead to us taking that final step back to prominence.

Advertisement
Do we think Harley splits time in the slot and outside with the coaches seemingly giving up on 6 and 8 to some extent? Seems unlikely the freshman will get a bunch of snaps until midseason and on. Might be a way to get restrepo more snaps when smiff and Rambo need a sub

I have less against him personally than you have against reading comprehension.

I don't think we need a 1A, alpha WR. Sure, it is nice to have opposing defenses have someone they always have to worry about bracketing, but we have enough weapons and play so fast that multiple guys should eat.

Super excited for X and B Smith in particular. Those 2, along with Harley and the TEs, allow for so many route combos. Guys like Roberson and Proche are great players, no doubt, but I have to think the SMU system helped them a lot. Bring either one here, and are they a 1A/B? I'd wager not.

IDK why James Williams wouldn't be used in an Isiah Simmons role. He would instantly be a guy that the QB needs to identify pre-snap. He can disrupt and impact in so many ways.

I read a few articles on LSU's freshman class dominating fall camp. Our freshman need to see the field, period. The 3 game strech between Bama and ACC play should tell us a lot in that regard.

Advertisement
Back