Possible reasons why Manny made these moves

Real reason(what I tell myself to sleep better at night at least): There were no DC's available that were willing to come for the small salary UM is paying and also not get to choose their own position coaching staff.

Has nothing to do with salary. Has everything to do with how the DC role was envision, explained, and what power would (and would not) have been granted.

Lots of people have misunderstood the dynamic with Manny and Blake all along. Manny didn't want a "friend" as DC. Manny wanted a "Mike-Pence-type" as his DC.

Advertisement
I don't care whether CMD is CEO or not, if he announced it then it means he's holding himself personally accountable for the DEF going forward. Same way if OU scored 10pts no one is looking for the OC even though someone has that title, we all look at Riley because he's the HC/OC. Simpson will be good for us because it's really simple, if you can't 1) maintain gap integrity, and 2) contain the Edge as DEs, he's not going to play you, so I think that message is heard loud and clear and DL is much improved.....TRob will be Secondary coach and DVD is his assistant who now based on his title/role he can go on the recruiting road and EVERYONE knows that they'll be recruited to join TRob's secondary room with DVD being his "right hand man"....works for me, smart move by CMD.

We didn't get the home run experienced DC we all wanted, but look at this way, if Manny hired himself as DC would we have been satisfied, I think we would've considered it an upgrade. So let's see how it plays out because CMD has 1 year or his seat is beyond hot....Go Canes
SAY CMD ONE MORE TIME!!
GTFOOH with that Georgia BS .

Go Canes!!!!

People trying to justify this green *** staff are hilarious.

T-Rob is the ONLY good hire, with Jess Simpson being OK. Everybody else on the defensive staff is trash garbage who couldn't get jobs at FIU, but somehow they get jobs at UM.

This is on the board of trustees. The buck stops with them in the end, and they've proven they don't give a flying **** about football.

He kept Baker because the DCs he wanted gave him the gas face. They didn’t want to hitch their wagons to a sinking ship (or whatever the appropriate metaphor is).

DVD might’ve brokered the Tyrique deal, so he angled for a promotion.

Has nothing to do with salary. Has everything to do with how the DC role was envision, explained, and what power would (and would not) have been granted.

Lots of people have misunderstood the dynamic with Manny and Blake all along. Manny didn't want a "friend" as DC. Manny wanted a "Mike-Pence-type" as his DC.

LMAO sure. It's always "we would have spent the money but..." when it comes to Miami, isn't it.

Actions count, not words. UM hired a cheap *** defensive staff. That makes them cheap... period. No more discussion.

Advertisement
He kept Baker because the DCs he wanted gave him the gas face. They didn’t want to hitch their wagons to a sinking ship (or whatever the appropriate metaphor is).

How is 8-3 a "sinking ship?"

We could easily have hired a good DC if we wanted to. What happened was Miami cheaped out.... AGAIN.

I respectfully disagree. We got better obviously with T Rob and getting Jess back who's d line was extremely good in 2018. But problems like Baker and Patke are still on staff and Rumph is recruiting? That baffles me. I'm ok with DVD.
Rumph's new role fits him better. The problem was kids didn't care to get COACHED by Rumph. This role is more of a behind the scenes type of thing. I promise you, recruiting will be nothing to worry about. Cooney, DVD, TRob, Hickson..... Man we're good!

1. Money the school didn’t want to pay.
It can’t be more simple than that. Don’t complicate it.
The recruiting class and talent are there and any coach would want to come here and be DC but isn’t willing to take a pay cut and pay Miami real estate prices for it.

2. His boy Baker in no way shape or form can get another p5 job. He brought him over to succeed and basically gave him football coach cooties, mange, and leprosy. Baker has bad defense stank funk.
Baker gets fired and he would have to go back to high school or Juco in some truck stop middle of nowhere town.
Ride together die together.

3. He thinks he can fix it.

Advertisement

So when are we getting a T.S. announcement? What the **** is going on?

Calling plays himself: I saw an article that said Baker changed some of Manny's X's & O's, and he wants to move things back to "his way". Also more comfortable with Lashlee with the O now. CALLING PLAYS IS SELECTING FROM THE DC'S MENU, AND THE DC IS A BUFFOON, NOT TO FORGET THAT HE'S A HORRIBLE LB COACH

Baker: Yeah, one of his boys, but saw what was happening & wants to work more closely with him. NO, SEE ABOVE. PLUS THIS TAKES MANNY AWAY FROM HIS HC RESPONSIBILITIES

Patke: Well, his punter & kicker were AA's. Not much else to say. OH, PLEASE. NOTHING IN THE KICKING GAME HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH PATKE.

Simpson: Proven commodity that did well here, knows X's & O's. Pro experience. Made assistant head coach.

T-Rob: Nothing needs to be said.

DVD: Wants him to learn from T-Rob & get on the road recruiting.

Rumph: Had to put who was left in DVD's place. Vaughn can keep his eye on him. LOCAL KID, GOOD FOR RECRUITING

Advertisement
I wonder if King coming back influenced his decision. If the defense is marginally better and King is healthy, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility they win 10+ games.
I’m gonna spoil it for you, as a physical therapist that does this for a living, king will not be 100% healthy in a measly 8 months after tearing his ACL on an already compromised knee that had a torn MCL a few years ago. People are living in fantasy land that think he’ll be back to start this season or be anything like he was performance wise this past season. Don’t believe me, go watch him the year after he tore his MCL, he was a shell of himself.

LMAO sure. It's always "we would have spent the money but..." when it comes to Miami, isn't it.

Actions count, not words. UM hired a cheap *** defensive staff. That makes them cheap... period. No more discussion.

Go fvck yourself. You prove your clownhood with every porst.

Go fvck yourself. You prove your clownhood with every porst.

Keep deflecting.

Anyone with even one functioning brain cell can see the problem at Miami is the BOT and the administration who don't give a single **** about the football program.

Been beating that drum for a couple years. At first, everyone wanted to blame the coaches, and nobody thought like I did. Today.... it warms my heart to see that most people on this message board understand the truth - our BOT is holding us back. THEY are the problem. THEY deserve the blame. And until we get better leadership, we're never going to win big again.

Manny is a symptom, the BOT is the disease.

Advertisement
I’m gonna spoil it for you, as a physical therapist that does this for a living, king will not be 100% healthy in a measly 8 months after tearing his ACL on an already compromised knee that had a torn MCL a few years ago. People are living in fantasy land that think he’ll be back to start this season or be anything like he was performance wise this past season. Don’t believe me, go watch him the year after he tore his MCL, he was a shell of himself.
well, that certainly sucked to read

I agree 100%. I look forward to hearing this as an excuse come November or so

I always thought Manny was smarter then this, but my only hope is Manny is playing chess while making it look like he is playing Checkers.

Perhaps, perhaps he assisting Patke and Blake in finding a new job behind the scenes so as to help their coaching reputation. And then he has a Barrow type coach ready to come in as well as having Lockette ready. That's all I got. I was always skeptical Manny would succeed, but I never thought he was this dumb. Manny please surprise us all.

Advertisement
Back