Positive and Negative bullet points for 2020 (Input?)

247 Canes

Sophomore
Positives first...

• We will start the preseason ranked 15-20th in the country... (Assuming we win out and win our bowl game in 2019 and returning starters)
  • We get Jealen Phillips, Lorenzo Lingard, Scott Patchan, Zach McCloud, and Bubba Bolden all back...
  • We will start the season 3-0 and move into the top 10 if we beat an undefeated Michigan State team...
  • We get Florida State, North Carolina, Duke at Home.
  • No more Tate Martell discussions. (We will miss his sister though lol)
  • Teams will be forced to double team Gregory Rousseau allowing others like Garvin, Patchan, Phillips, Harvey, and etc to eat.
  • Our O-Line should be physically better and they will have more experience as a unit.
  • Coaching staffs development and direction will start to show...

Negatives...

• Strength of schedule is hella weak and this equals more boring noon games.
  • We lose to Michigan State and Georgia Tech on the road and the Season is washed again (But we will hear "we still have an opportunity to win the coastal.)
  • We play Virginia Tech and Virginia on the road. (Wake is not in the coastal but we must beat this garbage team).
  • Our most experienced linebacker will be Zach McCloud.

My positives outweigh my negatives however, I'm Interested to hear others Positives and Negatives and see if how they weigh them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Positives first...

• We will start the preseason ranked 15-20th in the country... (Assuming we win out and win our bowl game in 2019 and returning starters)
  • We get Jealen Phillips, Lorenzo Lingard, Scott Patchan, Zach McCloud, and Bubba Bolden all back...
  • We will start the season 3-0 and move into the top 10 if we beat an undefeated Michigan State team...
  • Teams will be forced to double team Gregory Rousseau allowing others like Garvin, Patchan, Phillips, Harvey, and etc to eat.
  • Our O-Line should be physically better and they will have more experience as a unit.

Negatives...

• We lose to Michigan State and Georgia Tech on the road and the Season is washed again (But we will hear "we still have an opportunity to win the coastal.)
  • We play Virginia Tech and Virginia on the road. (Wake is not in the coastal but we must beat this garbage team).

My positives outweigh my negatives however, I'm Interested to hear others Positives and Negatives and see if how they weigh them.

Lost all credibility after you said Scott Patchan o_O

Advertisement
Your first point - There is absolutely NO guarantee we will be ranked or finish the season on a win streak. Dont be surprised if we play down to Duke and/or get japsmacked by whoever we play in a bowl game.

Your second point - Jaelan Phillips is an unknown. Lingard could transfer. Patchan is not good. McCloud is average at best.

Your third point - There is absolutely no reason to believe we start off 3-0 or any odds in our favor that we can beat Michigan State right now.

Your seventh/eighth point - As long as Enos is around, hes gonna want to run his offense. Our O-line improving is an assumption. They may improve marginally, or they may stay where they are at. I dont think they will regress barring injury.

Dont be surprised when Dan Enos goes back to under center, slow developing play actions ("his offense") next year because its assumed that the O-line will be better.

And god forbid we lose DJ Dallas for pass protection and screens because everyone else after him are extremely one dimensional.

We'll also be relying on McCloud and a first year player at linebacker which could be catastrophic. Especially because our defensive scheme doesnt teach fundamental linebacker play. It's all predicated on disrupting the play behind the LOS and leaving checkdown running backs and tight ends to run free.

I'm not hopeful for next year because Diaz has been here for 4 years now and we still have the same issues. Even on defense. Last time we saw a DB play the ball or jump a route was Finley last year...

It'll be the same old story. We'll have the talent to go 11-1 or 12-0 but our ceiling will be 10 wins.

Positives first...

Negatives...

we have a delusional fan base. im expecting the same results over the past 16 years until UM proves me wrong. i hope we turn the corner sooner than later of course.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Positives
- QB Jarren Williams
- P Louie Louie

Negatives
- Blake remains AD
- Diaz remains HC (with staff)
- Recruiting will be awful
- OL remains below average caliber for DIII squads
- Will be eliminated from ACCCD title after first ACCCD matchup

Prepare for continued disappointment

So out OL is D3 level does that make UVA/Pitt D4 level DL?

We will not start the season ranked. We have 2 cupcake teams ahead of us and we're not even getting a single vote in either poll. Bowls don't have the impact they used to as seniors tend to sit out if they're draftable.

Further, beating our first 4 opponents probably won't move us into the top 10 regardless of where we start.

Positives first...

Negatives...

Start off 2-2 and we will hear that it's a rebuild 😉

Advertisement
Back