Position Group Grades 2021

Best we can say about the team right now athletically before we see the product on the field:

Offense
QB Improved
RB Improved
WR Improved
TE Worsened
Exterior OL Improved
Interior OL Improved

Defense
DE Worsened
DT Improved
Striker Improved
OLB Improved
MLB TBD
Safety Improved
CB Improved

IMO, the above suggests anything less than 9 wins is a failure, 10 is expected. But I'm not sure we're ready to take on any Top 10 team just yet. Maybe 7-10.

We have enough talent to compete with anybody in the country. We may be underdogs against teams like Clemson Alabama and Ohio state but we should not be taken to the shed by anybody. No excuses.

Advertisement
Every offseason is the same old bull****. Every year for as many as I can count, the dimwits on this board predict 10+ wins and the coastal.

Every year the board pumpers say the same thing, and every year we win 7-9 games and lose a mediocre bowl. It's how it goes, like clockwork.

You're not a mope, you're a quality poster. If not feeding in to people's stupid delusions makes you a mope, then be a mope.

I think the grades are fair.

WR - Pope and Wiggins were garbage, and they started. That tells me whoever is behind them is even worse. We added Rambo, which takes us from an "F" to a "D". Harley and Rambo are an OK, if undersized core. Behind that, everyone is unproven.

QB - King is an A, but he's a dual threat QB coming off a major knee surgery. So B+

TE - Mallory is overrated. Haven't seen him do **** here, really. We lose Jordan. We have some young talent but unproven. Average C grade.

OT: C - Zion is pretty good, but you need 2 or 3 "pretty good" OT's to have a good unit. Average group, C grade.

OG: D - Honestly this is generous. We have one OG with potential if he can stick to the Jenny Craig plan, the others are on roller skates or unproven freshmans. D.

C: This is generous as well. Gaynor is trash, but he's at least old, experienced trash. Average grade, C.

Corners C: When they're pumping up Ivey as an "NFL guy," you can't give this group higher than a C, although I think TS was a good addition this year.

Safeties B+: Talented group.

LBs. F: This is the most poorly recruited group at Miami in the 30+ years I've followed this team. Just straight trash from top to bottom in terms of talent and playing ability. Probably the worst group in the ACC, and one of the worst groups in major college football. F.

DE. D: We lost 3 NFL guys, 2 in the 1st round. We took a linebacker from Tennessee and are expected to believe that plugging him in will solve the dropoff issue. It won't. This group isn't nearly as talented as it was last year. We haven't recruited that well here. D.

DT. C: Average group. Not horrible, not consistently dominant. C grade.
wrong said fred! Ur mixing ur opinion with facts! U give detailed opinion s bout wat u think about guards and lb's but nothing on safeties but talented group. Sounds like status qou as usual with this board!!

Wrs: D
Qbs: B+
Rbs: B+
TE: C
OT: C
OG: D
C: D

Corners C
Safeties B+
LBs. F
DE. D
DT. C

And I see about 8 wins on the schedule
In what universe are our DEs an obvious weak spot and bottom 3rd in the conference? As bad as our LBs were last year and they were atrocious, they weren't wreck the season bad because you can hardly call 8-3 a wrecked season
. So if our LBs last year couldn't wreck our season then what makes you think they will this season when the 2 starters at LB last year are out of the picture this year?

I know you can come back with the UNC debacle in which the LB play was the worst I had ever seen on a Miami team. I know Clemson exploited our LBs with ease and Okie St did the same thing. However the grades you gave out have nothing to do with last year and are supposed to be about the LBs this year. In addition to that, McCloud and Jennings were not the only guilty parties. I think Blake Baker deserves a fair share of the blame as well. He is the one who kept trotting those 2 out there and his game planning and in game coaching/strategy/scheme/adjustments were certifiably horrific.

I'm not saying we've got the second coming of the Bermuda Triangle at LB for this upcoming season. Just that an F is going a bit overboard.

I think quarterback we’re not improved in a vacuum cause of the kings injury. But if you combine another year in the system, better surrounding pieces, and a better line then the quarterback position may be in a better place if that makes sense.

I don’t care about the other guys cause they won’t play outside of mop up. So I don’t factor in Garcia or van *******

Best we can say about the team right now athletically before we see the product on the field:

Offense
QB Improved
RB Improved
WR Improved
TE Worsened
Exterior OL Improved
Interior OL Improved

Defense
DE Worsened
DT Improved
Striker Improved
OLB Improved
MLB TBD
Safety Improved
CB Improved

IMO, the above suggests anything less than 9 wins is a failure, 10 is expected. But I'm not sure we're ready to take on any Top 10 team just yet. Maybe 7-10.
How did QB improve.... did he get a bionic leg or something in that surgery? He had major surgery and being back to where he was last year isn't even guaranteed. There will be a serious discussion about keeping him out of the first two games.

Advertisement
How did QB improve.... did he get a bionic leg or something in that surgery? He had major surgery and being back to where he was last year isn't even guaranteed. There will be a serious discussion about keeping him out of the first two games.
Year 2 with Lashlee. Look at Lashlee's history.

Lashlee is a very young coach. This is his first job running the offense himself at a major division one school. He did not control the entire offense at SMU and Auburn

Last edited:

Yeah, King really isn't a year 2 guy he's been in this type of offense for most of his career. I think ignoring the history of mobile guys coming back from major knee surgery is odd. Its certainly a negative.

Advertisement
Yeah, King really isn't a year 2 guy he's been in this type of offense for most of his career. I think ignoring the history of mobile guys coming back from major knee surgery is odd. Its certainly a negative.
King has never had the same OC two years in a row. He may be slower coming off the knee, but I'm willing to bet he'll be more efficient throwing the ball.

At this point I need someone to prove something. Hype <

WR: B- (Rambo and 5th year Harley, but we need some size and what Restrepo is being sold as to be higher)
QB: B+ (only because of King's injury)
RB: B- (only because of our line)
TE: B+ (Mallory is an NFLer but he better not go down)
OL: C (People keep saying this is the year, but we were 70th in rushing last year with a QB getting 500 yards on his own. Our top back squeaked out 2 100 yard games against horrible defenses but he also had 2 70 runs in each of those games. There were plenty of games where simply could not run the ball at all. At times we looked like every bit like a top 15 in the ACC OL last year)

CB: B (Because of additions and a new coach)
Safety: B (Lets see, could be better but last years second half was abysmal)
LB: C- (Only because I cant stomach a D)
DE: B- (Deandre)
DT: B- (Could be better but at this point your telling me Ford is a B or Nesta is going to play mad the entire game?)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back