Position Coaches matter

nycane

All-ACC
Premium
Listen, we all know the scheme sucks and we all want Golden and Coach D gone. However, if you think position coaches dont matter, you're crazy. our scheme sucks but Denzel and Thurston are going to be in the NFL. Kirby and Grace will also. Owens showed flashes so i anticipate he will have a good career. Now, look at DL and DB where we have temple coaches. Those players have horrible technique. You guys say "frankin was doing Golden's patty cake stuff." You really believe golden doesnt want his dl to get pressure on the QB? come on. Will we win, will our defense become top 10, etc with new position coaches. Highly doubt it but they still matter.

Advertisement
A position coach can't overcome a terrible scheme.

I agree a QB coach who is not a coordinator can have a huge difference.

Otherwise, a great DL coach wont have much of an impact here.

i didnt say that. however, look at the ability of denzel, thurston, grace, etc.
then look at our bad the technique of our db's is.

These kinds covert apologist posts keeps these narcs afloat. It's always some micro hope and excuse for their incompetence. U are in denial. U can tell where the post is going when these dudes preface their commits with the common sentiment that they're truly having a difficult time coping with, "we all want Golden and D'No fired but..." Stockholm's Syndrome. I guess Brennan Carroll is some elite position coach.

Advertisement
LULZ. This dude is making the argument that position coach matters because Denzel is going to get drafted. His position coach is a guy was coaching RBs a few months ago and up till a few months ago had never coached LBs.

Listen, man. Our team is underachieving because we have the worst HC in the history of our program with a **** philosophical approach to the game that neuters his players and hopes to sneak out with tight wins against the wake forests of the world.

He's trying to fit square pegs into round holes, and it's a horrific fail.

LULZ. This dude is making the argument that position coach matters because Denzel is going to get drafted. His position coach is a guy was coaching RBs a few months ago and up till a few months ago had never coached LBs.

Listen, man. Our team is underachieving because we have the worst HC in the history of our program with a **** philosophical approach to the game that neuters his players and hopes to sneak out with tight wins against the wake forests of the world.

He's trying to fit square pegs into round holes, and it's a horrific fail.

This.

Love these guys that try to shift the blame to everyone else but Golden.

Denzel who played well despite the scheme still only had 9.5 TFL this year and 5.0 last year. That number should have been a lot higher for a guy with his ability.

We could have HOF position coaches. All that is invalidated when we have the smartest dumbest HC in the program history running things. Add that to incompetent leadership at the university level and what you get is the 2011-2015 miami hurricane football program

Advertisement
man, what a bunch of mental midgets are on this board. read what i said. i was talking about technique. when did i defend golden?
Position coaches dont matter? Look at what Art does. look at what Scott has done with clive and standish. look at how ice changed Gus edwards.
all while we had crappy play calling. No wonder kids dont want to play for this fan base.

Now kids are supposedly considering the fanbase and message board content before choosing a university to attend...wow. U are really biting the new narrative bait. They wouldn't try it if it didn't work on someone I suppose.

I agree in part, especially at db. We have some of the worst coverage technique in D1 football. We can't locate the ball for ****, we regularly vacate our zones and we can't ready route combinations. That's stuff that can be taught, but isn't. We've been making those mistakes since he got here. Ultimately this is on Golden to see and correct . It's his team.

Position coaches matter a ton. They are the coaches that do the teaching. You also spend more time with them than any other coach.

That said, no position coach can overcome bad play design and overall philosophy. Can our dline play better under a new coach? Absolutely! Can they improve enough to mask our head coach's soft philosophy? **** no.

I am convinced that Al could never get us back. No matter how good the talent and staff is, In the clutch moments and big games his soft mentality will lead to losses. He chokes now and we aren't playing for anything.

Advertisement
Listen, we all know the scheme sucks and we all want Golden and Coach D gone. However, if you think position coaches dont matter, you're crazy. our scheme sucks but Denzel and Thurston are going to be in the NFL. Kirby and Grace will also. Owens showed flashes so i anticipate he will have a good career. Now, look at DL and DB where we have temple coaches. Those players have horrible technique. You guys say "frankin was doing Golden's patty cake stuff." You really believe golden doesnt want his dl to get pressure on the QB? come on. Will we win, will our defense become top 10, etc with new position coaches. Highly doubt it but they still matter.

What does them being Temple coaches have to do with their ability to coach a position? So you think that our other coaches, whose experience is limited to coaching loaded high school teams, have more ability to coach a position than some guys who've done it in college?

And yes, Franklin was teaching within the scheme. In this defense we don't put an emphasis on QB pressure every down. We wait until passing situations.

So you're saying Hurlie freakin' Brown can coach his position better than Paul Williams or Jethro Franklin? LOL

Based on what?

man, what a bunch of mental midgets are on this board. read what i said. i was talking about technique. when did i defend golden?
Position coaches dont matter? Look at what Art does. look at what Scott has done with clive and standish. look at how ice changed Gus edwards.
all while we had crappy play calling. No wonder kids dont want to play for this fan base.

1. Kehoe, from all accounts, is a ****** position coach.
2. Ice had nothing to do with Edwards. Matter of fact, Edwards was passed up by Yearby, a kid who just got here and has barely benefited from any college coaching.

Advertisement

He said he didn't after we lost to VT in 2013.

Position coaches don't mean jack shlt under a head coach this bad.

Last edited:

1. Kehoe, from all accounts, is a ****ty position coach.
2. Ice had nothing to do with Edwards. Matter of fact, Edwards was passed up by Yearby, a kid who just got here and has barely benefited from any college coaching.

i think all the OL that became rich after learning from Kehoe will disagree.

So you're saying Hurlie freakin' Brown can coach his position better than Paul Williams or Jethro Franklin? LOL

Based on what?

Because Denzel is great. I'm surprised you guys don't get it. If you coach a great player it means you're a great coach even if that great player doesn't max out his potential. Hurlie Brown is a grizzled LB coaching grey beard.

1. Kehoe, from all accounts, is a ****ty position coach.

i think all the OL that became rich after learning from Kehoe will disagree.

That and all the major college programs that were beating the door of his basement efficiency down when he was an assistant at Lambuth College (given that job by an old buddy who felt badly for him) a couple short years ago.

Advertisement
Back