Portis on Mike and Mike said...

Advertisement
Regardless, the cupboard was stocked back then, kids were pushing each other, and scouts used to come to Coral Gables feeling like they were watching an NFL Combine. We need depth.

Advertisement
Proof positive that our current depth is nowhere near where it needs to be, nor has it been in a long time. This is why I crack up when I hear people say having 8 players suspended is no excuse. It's actually a pretty **** good excuse considering our starters amounted to a mediocre ACC team. The backups are certainly not better than the opposing team's starters.

Taylor didn't play a whole lot other than special teams.. he didn't start as reed & james lewis did and really mo sikes played more than Taylor did at safety that year. Antrel Rolle & Winslow would have been scout team however, winslow obviously offense

Advertisement
He is wrong about Vilma. Vilma was the starter on the 01 team.

Correct. Vilma actually playedh is first significant minutes filling in for Dan Morgan during his dehydration against FSU in '00.

Yes but I'm fairly sure Vilma started off the year on the scout team.

Btw, those special teams were sick that year. The coverage units were unparallel - Carl Walker, Sean Taylor, Weavers, KW2, et al were all on those coverage units. sick.

Vilma actually started in the first game of his career, against McNeese St. Morgan was hurt.

Vilma actually started in the first game of his career, against McNeese St. Morgan was hurt.

No Morgan started, then got a concussion in the 1st half. Vilma probably did play some scout team to start the '00 season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back