Portal, good or bad?

Advertisement
It’s hard to get to the 85 number especially since the NCAA only allows you to take 25 guys a cycle no matter your hard count number. In the position we were since they cracked down on it it’s gonna take us to get there by taken a full 25 hs kids..then redshirting like 10 of those back to back years..witch we aren’t in position to do because we annually lose 2-3 kids early..then have kids who will look for PT in the portal also

The fact that we have gone after a lot of portal guys the last two seasons says it all. The coaches don't think the talent in the recruting classes is good enough
we were caught behind the 8ball when this 25 guys a cycle rule by the NCAA was hardened. We weren’t up to 85 scollies..so its gonna take us getting a full class, then redshirting like 10..and doing that two cycles in a row..idk how realistic that is

Please, this is so simple. Head and assistant coaches flip around like fish out of water - dismissed/contract not renewed or moving on to NFL or another college program. Often, this crazy season stuff happens after signing day. So, why shouldn't players have the same right of movement, though it's delayed until they've been in a program for 3 years or after earning a degree.
This is the state or norm in current-day college sports. Like it or not, it needs to go both ways.

Good- we have gotten several quality starters
Bad-we have gotten some really bad(Kennedy) and have lost some quality depth. Also makes it hard to get to 85 scholarships.

Advertisement
Portal is great. Gives kids the freedom to go where they feel they will have the best chance to be successful... avoids coaches holding multiple guys for the same position, hostage... ala Saban
... freedom of movement

Coaches change jobs without repercussions a player should be able change where they play too.there are good and bad things about the portal .a coach shouldn't be depending on it.

Advertisement
It’s good if you use it every now and then to fill a need like getting King but using it every year as a recruiting tool instead of recruiting can really fck up your roster.Its starting to show with ours.

I'm not a fan at all of portals. You commited to a program, stick it out. Pros and cons, understand but don't like it.

so you commit to a coach who makes 5 million dollars, then he leaves and the entire staff also goes. Should the player have to stay? ***** that bull****. I’m glad these kids have a say in this situation now. People are making hundreds of millions off them yet they are trapped like prisoners. Nah the portal is a good thing

The portal next year will really affect depth which is very important. Not sure if you are aware, there are a lot of injuries in football during the season and you need depth. The top teams have the depth, we don't

Advertisement
The only thing it makes lazy recruiters rely on it. Recipe for disaster especially if it's a lazy recruiter. Or if they just suck at it...it's better to get the super star out of HS because if he's a superstar he's not hitting the portal.

tenor-32.gif

Advertisement
I know we have used the portal to fill in weak areas but we have also lost some players to the portal. My main gripe is that the 25 limit to number of recruits each year doesn't reflect losses via the portal. Players TAKEN do count as recruits but those leaving open spots but not beyond the 25 recruit cap. Obviously this year we will not come close to the 85 player cap and that is a handicap for building depth. Also taking one and done players has its own detriment for building depth.
I wonder if when a player enters but changes his mind and CAN come back is he a new recruit?
I hope they do some adjustments to the portal as it was incorporated rather quickly without much thought of the unintended consequences The fact that some players can get waived to play right away while others must sit a year is unfair, either all sit or none.
The fact that 3 of the 4 QB's in the playoff round were portal players I find disturbing. I think it is more detriment than benefit.
Neither, it is not meant to be good or bad.

It seemed the portal helped us last year so much we went 6-7. Now we have a lot of players in the portal that we could use, Lorenzo, Realus, Patchan and Hightower. We have 11 players in the portal (almost half our 25 allotment), picked up 2 and only have one scholarship left. So again - good or bad?

You don’t know who you’ll miss til they become good. I think Lingard will be good.
Maybe, but I asked who we'll miss, not who has potential. We've ****ed away more potential than will ever transfer out.

We haven't list any great contributors.

Advertisement
Back