Portal, good or bad?

fraggle

Senile Senior
I know we have used the portal to fill in weak areas but we have also lost some players to the portal. My main gripe is that the 25 limit to number of recruits each year doesn't reflect losses via the portal. Players TAKEN do count as recruits but those leaving open spots but not beyond the 25 recruit cap. Obviously this year we will not come close to the 85 player cap and that is a handicap for building depth. Also taking one and done players has its own detriment for building depth.
I wonder if when a player enters but changes his mind and CAN come back is he a new recruit?
I hope they do some adjustments to the portal as it was incorporated rather quickly without much thought of the unintended consequences The fact that some players can get waived to play right away while others must sit a year is unfair, either all sit or none.
The fact that 3 of the 4 QB's in the playoff round were portal players I find disturbing. I think it is more detriment than benefit.

Advertisement
The portal is great for the kids who aren’t trapped at a school for their entire career if it isn’t the best fit for them.

it’s good for coaches to fill gaps on the rooster due to recruiting misses, injuries etc...

It’s bad for ever trying to get to 85 man rooster.

it’s bad cause it creates drama and kids running away from challengers in life instead of learning about adversity.

overall, it is what it is.

Advertisement
Eligibility is a ticking clock for these kids.

There are a ton of very good players that end up in a tough position that can help another team big time if they're in the right situation.

The portal is a great thing.

The portal is great for the kids who aren’t trapped at a school for their entire career if it isn’t the best fit for them.

it’s good for coaches to fill gaps on the rooster due to recruiting misses, injuries etc...

It’s bad for ever trying to get to 85 man rooster.

it’s bad cause it creates drama and kids running away from challengers in life instead of learning about adversity.

overall, it is what it is.
I'm not a fan at all of portals. You commited to a program, stick it out. Pros and cons, understand but don't like it.

Advertisement
The portal was meant with good intentions but has had negative effects both on players and teams.

1 - Players are going into the portal and finding that the opportunities they expected aren't there. Many are settling for lower programs. The 25 limit is really hamstringing many programs from bringing too many transfers in.

2 - Some teams are getting killed. Miami is getting transfers in but losing a lot as well and FAR below the 85 limit. The 25 IC change is working against us. Same with Stanford. They are losing guys at an astronomical rate and it's tough for them to field a team with quality depth bc each year the number of guys they can recruit is limited with their admission standards. The 25 ICs was to keep teams like Bama and others "process" guys not meeting expectations in order to bring new 4-5* talent in.

While i still think the IC rule has good intentions, it needs to be tweaked.
- I think Grad Transfers shouldn't count against the 25 ICs if a team is under a certain overall scholarship number. For 1, it allows grad kids a chance of playing somewhere with lower numbers/depth, increasing chance of playing time. Second, it allows teams to field a more quality/experienced team and not force them to play younger players who aren't ready (safety) and isn't going to tilt the power much because those kids are 1 and done. Its not going to "build" programs, just help maintain decent numbers.
- I think teams should be allowed to request an "exception" on a yearly basis for 1-2 more ICs, if the overall scholarship numbers are below a certain threshold. If player safety, more level playing field, and increased opportunity for players are the reasons for these rules, this would help all of that.

Fact is if coaches can bail at will the players should be able to as well. Like it or not it’s the right thing

Advertisement
I'm not a fan at all of portals. You commited to a program, stick it out. Pros and cons, understand but don't like it.

Stick it out... you mean just like their coaches who leave as soon as a better situation presents itself??

One thing is an absolute fact for most of these kids; they won't be playing for the same coach that recruits them. Asst coaches move around like crazy and head coaches use to get atleast 3 years to prove themselves and now we're seeing guys fired after 2 season!

You cant preach loyalty if it doesnt work both ways!

Advertisement
Fact is if coaches can bail at will the players should be able to as well. Like it or not it’s the right thing

Disagree. Employee vs student athlete (like the title or not).

Coaches aren't leaving at the first sign of someone in the media speaks poorly of them, or a fan posting on social media they suck. Some kids are leaving the moment they aren't guaranteed a starting role or get yelled at by a coach. Too many are immature and entitled and they need to learn how life works at some point.

If you want to say a kid is allowed 1 free transfer in their career? Ok, maybe i can get on board with that. But then no further "waivers" for bs that will just be another loophole for behind the scenes recruiting and jumping to the highest bidder.

Coaches leaving is all governed by ridiculously long attorney written contracts with laws, buyouts, etc. Kids leaving are governed by little outside of the few NCAA bylaws.

Disagree. Employee vs student athlete (like the title or not).

Coaches aren't leaving at the first sign of someone in the media speaks poorly of them, or a fan posting on social media they suck. Some kids are leaving the moment they aren't guaranteed a starting role or get yelled at by a coach. Too many are immature and entitled and they need to learn how life works at some point.

If you want to say a kid is allowed 1 free transfer in their career? Ok, maybe i can get on board with that. But then no further "waivers" for bs that will just be another loophole for behind the scenes recruiting and jumping to the highest bidder.

Coaches leaving is all governed by ridiculously long attorney written contracts with laws, buyouts, etc. Kids leaving are governed by little outside of the few NCAA bylaws.
I’m 100% for regulation of the portal including some type of contract or like you said a 1 one free pass or whatever. Have to have some order

2364EAA4-DD6E-4D37-8E1D-A7216420AEC3.gif

Stick it out... you mean just like their coaches who leave as soon as a better situation presents itself??

One thing is an absolute fact for most of these kids; they won't be playing for the same coach that recruits them. Asst coaches move around like crazy and head coaches use to get atleast 3 years to prove themselves and now we're seeing guys fired after 2 season!

You cant preach loyalty if it doesnt work both ways!
I'm not saying good or bad. Very sensitive issue. I'm on the fence WITH this. Depends where the wind blows. I'll let you all debate on this one. I'm going out to shovel, big storm is upon us in the northeast :shoveling-snow:

Advertisement
Back