Portal changes coming

Advertisement
Advertisement
I meant from a roster management standpoint. Coaches = team, or at least that’s what I meant.

Coach names QB1 in early fall camp. QB2 & QB3 immediately hit the portal. QB1 tears ACL 2nd week of fall camp. QB4 is now your guy, I guess.
Everything that I have heard/read is that the vast majority of coaches want windows so that they are not having to constantly 'recruit' current players. They will have to figure out a way to manage the roster with the situation you said, but I think they still prefer it to the current situation.

I'm in favor of having the window option. The current system is detrimental to coaches having to manage their rosters, along retention of their players.
Right now coaches are having to keep recruiting players that are still on their team for fear they can be poached at any time.

Transfer window is a good idea. I also think a rule for only 1 transfer is a good discussion to have. Don’t know how you guys feel about that but it will make kids think long and hard about transferring…. And once you’re in the portal there’s no turning back like the young man from Georgia.

Off topic but they should also allow kids to feel out the nfl interest like college hoops does with the NBA and allow them to return if they choose

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I meant from a roster management standpoint. Coaches = team, or at least that’s what I meant.

Coach names QB1 in early fall camp. QB2 & QB3 immediately hit the portal. QB1 tears ACL 2nd week of fall camp. QB4 is now your guy, I guess.
Checkers vs. chess, it seems.

Transfer window is a good idea. I also think a rule for only 1 transfer is a good discussion to have. Don’t know how you guys feel about that but it will make kids think long and hard about transferring…. And once you’re in the portal there’s no turning back like the young man from Georgia.

Off topic but they should also allow kids to feel out the nfl interest like college hoops does with the NBA and allow them to return if they choose
1st transfer should be without a the one-year ineligibility penalty
2nd transfer and the player has to sit out one year.

I like the idea of letting kids test out the NFL like the NBA does.

Baseball has had that for years. I don't understand the financial angle for the NCAA making kids declare for the NFL draft. As you know, in baseball, players get drafted. They don't have to do anything, then they decide if they want to leave college.

Football players can't declare until 3 years removed from high school per the NFL collective bargaining agreement.

The NCAA prohibits college baseball players from being drafted until their junior/rsh sophomore year.

So, the timeliness are essentially the same for baseball and football, but the rules are completely different.

I don't understand how anyone hasn't sued the NCAA over this. It's a double standard that really doesn't benefit the NCAA. You just wind up with players declaring for the NFL draft that should have stayed in college.

The NCAA is just colluding with the NFL. I think this is all part of the NFL not scheduling regular season games on Saturdays. College players would have more leverage for the draft and the NFL would have some wasted unsigned draft picks the same way baseball does. Similar to baseball, the NFLwould have to develop a minor league system as they wouldn’t be able to rely on signing a full draft class. Instead, they get polished players that have already made a name for themselves without the NFL putting up any money.

Quite a racquet they have going along with professional sports special Federal Tax exemption which is a whole other topic.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I think having a tranfer window is a good idea, but I don't think it will play out the way people think it will.

Someone posted the scenario of a 3 QB competition to be the starter where 2 wind up in the transfer portal. When these young men enter the portal, they are likely no longer with the team. Having a transfer window isn't going to keep them on the team. They will inform the coach they intend to transfer when the portal window opens and withdraw from the team to keep their eligibility. They're not going to burn a year coming off the bench for mop up duty. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in the portal.

So, having a portal window won't decrease the number of transfers. It will make the coaches life easier to only have to manage the transfers within said window.

I don't agree with just one transfer. There's no reason to tie a student athlete to a school.

If an athlete doesn't play after transferring to a school, why should they not be able to transfer somewhere else? Who are they hiurting? If they do play, they could still transfer, but would have to sit out a year. So, that old rule still works.

I think having a tranfer window is a good idea, but I don't think it will play out the way people think it will.

Someone posted the scenario of a 3 QB competition to be the starter where 2 wind up in the transfer portal. When these young men enter the portal, they are likely no longer with the team. Having a transfer window isn't going to keep them on the team. They will inform the coach they intend to transfer when the portal window opens and withdraw from the team to keep their eligibility. They're not going to burn a year coming off the bench for mop up duty. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in the portal.

So, having a portal window won't decrease the number of transfers. It will make the coaches life easier to only have to manage the transfers within said window.

I don't agree with just one transfer. There's no reason to tie a student athlete to a school.

If an athlete doesn't play after transferring to a school, why should they not be able to transfer somewhere else? Who are they hiurting? If they do play, they could still transfer, but would have to sit out a year. So, that old rule still works.
I like what @AtlAtty mentioned above about transfer rules: 1 transfer without penalty. Next transfer sit out one year

Advertisement
Back