Poppa Shaq - A Question

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
Last season, and especially this year - in camps, here, there, and yonder - I see seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen being interviewed - and I don't think I've ever been more impressed with the attitude, presentation, goals, and team oriented replies that EVERYONE seems to emulate.

They all say variations of "more work," "learn," "teach," "whatever to help the team," "gotta get faster," "still learning," and every combination of what an ideal player would say when interviewed.

Your son is very well spoken, but I'm seeing that all through the team - at least those interviewed.

My question:

Is this more or less "taught" as how to respond to questions about what the team goals and thus their personal goals should be? Or is this a mindset pretty much adapted by, and embraced by the team members? And is coming from the heart?

I'm just impressed by our team members - and of course your son is helping lead the parade.

Advertisement
I'm not Poppa Shaq, but I believe Richt recruits guys he knows he can coach up. I see quality character up and down the roster. A lot of fine young men who are coming here to work hard and win.

Advertisement
No, the program gives them no tips at all on how to interview.

Who hurt you, bro?

Too many people to name and I've tried to suppress most of it.

golden12-1117.jpg

I think it is a combination of a few things. First I'm sure they are coached a bit... on what not to say. Secondly the coaching staff create a culture and if the kids buy in... they begin to echo or reverberate that culture. Like when we hear or fathers and mothers thoughts in the lessons we now teach. And the icing on the cake is, you bring in kids that are coachable on and off the field. Like D$ Money's Dad said to me ... you can tell the kids that have a good support system at home. From my encounters with other parents on the team... I would say a lot of our kids have a great support system at home ... I don't know them all of course but the ones I do interact with created a solid foundation for their kids, making it that much easier to be coached and assimilate into a culture of winning. I don't want to violate any of their privacy by saying names... but I thought my wife and I have done a great job with Shaq, but seeing some of the other interactions with Cane parents and their kids... I realize that my wife and I haven't done any more than a number of other parents. Getting off the soap box... a combination of a winning culture and kids that have bought in... is reflected in the interviews we see and I honestly believe its from the heart.

I think it is a combination of a few things. First I'm sure they are coached a bit... on what not to say. Secondly the coaching staff create a culture and if the kids buy in... they begin to echo or reverberate that culture. Like when we hear or fathers and mothers thoughts in the lessons we now teach. And the icing on the cake is, you bring in kids that are coachable on and off the field. Like D$ Money's Dad said to me ... you can tell the kids that have a good support system at home. From my encounters with other parents on the team... I would say a lot of our kids have a great support system at home ... I don't know them all of course but the ones I do interact with created a solid foundation for their kids, making it that much easier to be coached and assimilate into a culture of winning. I don't want to violate any of their privacy by saying names... but I thought my wife and I have done a great job with Shaq, but seeing some of the other interactions with Cane parents and their kids... I realize that my wife and I haven't done any more than a number of other parents. Getting off the soap box... a combination of a winning culture and kids that have bought in... is reflected in the interviews we see and I honestly believe its from the heart.

Thanks to you and to all the players families for providing that foundation. 9/2 can't get here soon enough.

Go Canes!

Advertisement

Thank you sir!

They absolutely get coached on what not to say. I have friends on the comm staff!

This just validates that much more, where these young mens heads are at!! Their being advised on "what not to say"... But they all have the same basic ideologies, in regard to, more work, more effort, more learning, we ( not I)..this is the beginning of something could be very special for several years to come.

Advertisement
great question

thanks for the answer to it

malik young has impressed me the most out of all of them

they're all well spoken, especially walton but wow does young impress me

I swear nothing makes me happier to see these kids giving well thought and articulate interviews, it really has me impressed... mostly because I dont think I would have been that well spoken at 18-19!

Its not just 1-2 players either, I was hearing some of the backup WR's, even the DB's they brought in, all are just operating at a much higher level than I ever remembered a Miami player being at. Bravo to all.

It's just a 5 min interview, but the maturity they are displaying will pay off when they are doing real-life job interviews for sure.

Advertisement
Last season, and especially this year - in camps, here, there, and yonder - I see seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen being interviewed - and I don't think I've ever been more impressed with the attitude, presentation, goals, and team oriented replies that EVERYONE seems to emulate.

They all say variations of "more work," "learn," "teach," "whatever to help the team," "gotta get faster," "still learning," and every combination of what an ideal player would say when interviewed.

Your son is very well spoken, but I'm seeing that all through the team - at least those interviewed.

My question:

Is this more or less "taught" as how to respond to questions about what the team goals and thus their personal goals should be? Or is this a mindset pretty much adapted by, and embraced by the team members? And is coming from the heart?

I'm just impressed by our team members - and of course your son is helping lead the parade.

To me this has been the most frustrating thing about the last few coaches. They are pumping out this type all over florida. We were being lead by the wrong guys. In most cases the players high school coaches knew better than the canes coaches. Richt gets it big time.

Keep your base the articulate, thought provoking kids (Shaq, KC, McIntosh, Delaney) and sprinkle in some **** talking goons (Pinckney, Norton, and soon to be Nesta Silvera) and thats a recipe for that old school Canes mentality of the past for **** sure!

Advertisement
Back