Pope can not return another punt

Advertisement
Pope is too light out there but I do believe he will take one to the house before seasons end. He has the skill set but unable to stay on his feet after contact. Restrepo may be a good option but he seems to be very risky but high reward.

Only part of the game I got frustrated about. He already had his mulligan, can’t do it twice (especially not in just 3 games). It’s simply unacceptable, and if we’re trying to establish a standard, then you have to draw a line. That kind of stuff shouldn’t fly here anymore. Period.

Advertisement
This **** that he's mentally weak, freezes up, that's gotta go.

He's just inexperienced at it. He's gotta learn what to do and when to do it. He's not a natural at it, may get replaced, and very well could've been great at it in practice. It's a different animal though when you're not playing your teammates and friends.

Yesterday, that was him pressing to make a play when there wasn't one to be made. It wasn't him freezing up, he wouldn't have gone after it if he froze. It wasn't him being mentally weak, just a poor decision.

Another he fielded quickly last game, he needed to just make a decision, go with it. He danced around back there, it went nowhere. Another return where he went mostly straight, he showed his burst and made a good return.

I don't know if he'll get there or not, guess we'll see. I haven't been on the Pope train, always said he has the body of a high school freshman, but he's shown some flashes this year. If he can just remember to take what's there, he should be alright. When he starts pressing to do more than he should, it gets scary.

Advertisement
Pope is an absolute liability right now on punts. It would be pure negligence to have him back there in a game against an opponent like Clemson.

We take guys like Berrios for granted until the roster doesn't have a similar replacement for him.
He and KJ were too boring for us because they weren’t Hester.

Advertisement
We cannot makes those mistakes vs Clemson.
It’s unfair to throw Restrepo back against Clemson in his first meaningful playing time especially as critical as PR is.
After game 1 when Pope muffed one and throw in his drops he just doesn’t have it. He’s a decent possession receiver but I do not trust his hands one bit. We are playing with Fire with him back there in a close game.

i hope Pope is not the best we have because he is a liability, I hope many of you now know that it is IMERATIVE to catch & protect the ball first. Now some of you realize how good Braxton Beririos really was.

Advertisement
I'm confused as to why @miamicanephins hasn't showed up here with his prolific knowledge as to why Pope should stay returning kicks and isn't soft.

It's really strange to me how this entire thread agrees with what I've been saying since UAB, but he's not here to fight any of you on it.

I'll assume your absence is the result of an epic breastfeeding session.

Advertisement
Back