Ponce was demoted

Hiring a glorified Dade County High School assistant coach to become our OC would be the biggest joke in College Football this season. At best Frank Ponce is a serviceable QB coach at some mid level college program. He never called plays at App State. He did more running the football teams Instagram account. Just say no to Ponce.

Advertisement
Yeah, but Dmoney and Stefan has been talking the Ponce talk, and it’s scaring the **** out of me. Ponce as OC will be disastrous, because we’d trot out:

HC with no experience
OC with no playcalling experience
Co-DCs with no experience

Ponce as OC would be a recipe for disaster. That would be one of greenest staffs, if not the most green staff in CFB history.
Or maybe his plan is to out recruit everybody and our athlete them until this becomes a go-to place to coach or they learn as they go. The one thing Ponce can do is find talent and recruit. Found DJ Williams at Sebring for example.

I'm not advocating him for OC, but how does anybody know he's not capable of being really good? Just curious.

guessing Manny has a good $1.5M maybe even $2M for an OC. If he blows this chance on his buddy Ponce, Diaz will fck himself before he even starts. Have no issue with Ponce as QB coach but not OC. For the money we have go get someone ******* proven

I'm very concerned Manny will rush this hire. Made a mention in his interview today that recruiting has 10 days left so would like his staff done well then (say in next 5 days). That's not enough time to go interview a bunch of guys he doesnt know and could mean he falls back on someone he is familiar with (Ponce). Manny dont **** this up please....
You’re dreaming if u think this university is gonna pony up 2 million for a OC

Probably was the OC candidate for Manny at Temple.

Unlikelyfor that position at Miami, IMO.

Advertisement
[QUOTE="Meast21, post: 3743303, member: 8584"]I'm guessing Manny has a good $1.5M maybe even $2M for an OC. If he blows this chance on his buddy Ponce, Diaz will fck himself before he even starts. Have no issue with Ponce as QB coach but not OC. For the money we have go get someone ******* proven

I'm very concerned Manny will rush this hire. Made a mention in his interview today that recruiting has 10 days left so would like his staff done well then (say in next 5 days). That's not enough time to go interview a bunch of guys he doesnt know and could mean he falls back on someone he is familiar with (Ponce). Manny dont **** this up please....[/QUOTE]

I sincerely doubt that. Supposedly we were going to go to 1.5 to keep Manny as DC. Can't see us in, or above that, range for a new OC.

It would be a sham if he were hired as OC, and just one more nail in the coffin of ineptitude that increasingly defines this program. I believe Manolo is smarter than this. I hope he is. If he is not then he deserves the failures that will come.

Advertisement
[QUOTE="Meast21, post: 3743303, member: 8584"]I'm guessing Manny has a good $1.5M maybe even $2M for an OC. If he blows this chance on his buddy Ponce, Diaz will fck himself before he even starts. Have no issue with Ponce as QB coach but not OC. For the money we have go get someone ******* proven

I'm very concerned Manny will rush this hire. Made a mention in his interview today that recruiting has 10 days left so would like his staff done well then (say in next 5 days). That's not enough time to go interview a bunch of guys he doesnt know and could mean he falls back on someone he is familiar with (Ponce). Manny dont **** this up please....

I sincerely doubt that. Supposedly we were going to go to 1.5 to keep Manny as DC. Can't see us in, or above that, range for a new OC.[/QUOTE]

Let's look at what we know:
It was reported the board approved $1M for an OC when Richt was coach.
Moving from Richt ($4M) to Manny (Estimated $2.5-3M) just opened up $1-1.5M right there as well.
UM was willing to pay Manny as DC at $1.5M to stay.

I have zero doubt Manny has $1.5M for an OC. Maybe even $2M total for OC + offensive staff changes.

I sincerely doubt that. Supposedly we were going to go to 1.5 to keep Manny as DC. Can't see us in, or above that, range for a new OC.

Moving from Richt ($4M) to Manny (Estimated $2.5-3M) just opened up $1-1.5M right there as well.

I have zero doubt Manny has $1.5M for an OC. Maybe even $2M total for OC + offensive staff changes.[/QUOTE]

Assumptions and conjecture versus facts.

We don't know Diaz' salary or what the actual budget is.

What Miami supposedly offered Diaz, and I stress supposedly, would have been a new record for a Miami coordinator. Under what you propose, we are now starting an OC at or above that would have been record. In fact, what you propose may be a new record for a DI offensive coordinator, period. See http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant for perspective.

Seems highly unlikely to me that Diaz has that kind of money or even needs that kind of money for an OC.

But we all hope he has what he needs and makes the best hire.

I have zero doubt Manny has $1.5M for an OC. Maybe even $2M total for OC + offensive staff changes.

What Miami supposedly offered Diaz, and I stress supposedly, would have been a new record for a Miami coordinator. Under what you propose, we are now starting an OC at or above that would have been record. In fact, what you propose may be a new record for a DI offensive coordinator, period. See http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant for perspective.

Seems highly unlikely to me that Diaz has that kind of money or even needs that kind of money for an OC.

But we all hope he has what he needs and makes the best hire.[/QUOTE]

Fair points as well. Nobody on this board really knows wtf goes on in Hecht so everything is conjecture. Regardless if its $750K, $1M, $1.5M or whatever, i think we can prob both agree he was given a lot of money to hire an OC. Blake/BOT may be idiots but they know the offense is the problem, Manny is a defensive guy, and we need a top shelf OC. No way they didn't give Manny some cheddar to get a legit OC

But we all hope he has what he needs and makes the best hire.

Fair points as well. Nobody on this board really knows wtf goes on in Hecht so everything is conjecture. Regardless if its $750K, $1M, $1.5M or whatever, i think we can prob both agree he was given a lot of money to hire an OC. Blake/BOT may be idiots but they know the offense is the problem, Manny is a defensive guy, and we need a top shelf OC. No way they didn't give Manny some cheddar to get a legit OC[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But I'd go even farther. Diaz needs top shelf OC and DC, maybe a designated QB coach, and somebody/somebodies with HC experience on this staff.

Advertisement
Fair points as well. Nobody on this board really knows wtf goes on in Hecht so everything is conjecture. Regardless if its $750K, $1M, $1.5M or whatever, i think we can prob both agree he was given a lot of money to hire an OC. Blake/BOT may be idiots but they know the offense is the problem, Manny is a defensive guy, and we need a top shelf OC. No way they didn't give Manny some cheddar to get a legit OC

Agreed. But I'd go even farther. Diaz needs top shelf OC and DC, maybe a designated QB coach, and somebody/somebodies with HC experience on this staff.[/QUOTE]

Dont disagree but that all costs more money. I was assuming he was gonna throw all of his budget at an OC/Offensive staff. If he goes after a DC as well, then yeah the OC budget is prob $1M or under

Agreed. But I'd go even farther. Diaz needs top shelf OC and DC, maybe a designated QB coach, and somebody/somebodies with HC experience on this staff.

Dont disagree but that all costs more money. I was assuming he was gonna throw all of his budget at an OC/Offensive staff. If he goes after a DC as well, then yeah the OC budget is prob $1M or under[/QUOTE]

I don't think Diaz can afford to NOT call plays AND trust the current co-DCs. He has to get more real experience on staff as he has none as HC. It can't be everybody learning at the same time.

Advertisement
Back