Poll: Worst NCAA Tourney Performance by Miami

What was Miami's worst NCAA tournament performance?

• Total voters

Hotel Ibis

Recruit
Since we are now waiting until Sunday to find out our seed and matchup, here's a poll to pass the time. Hopefully, we won't have a bad performance in the tourney this year, but here's my memory, aided slightly by google, of previous clunkers.

What was Miami's worst performance in the NCAA Tournament?

1. 1999 Round of 32 vs. Purdue
Miami was a #2 seed that year. The season included beating eventual national champ UCONN on the road (overcoming a double digit deficit), losing in overtime at home to UCONN, and sweeping the regular season games against top 10 St. Johns. After a very close loss to St. Johns in the semis of the Big East tournament, Miami got the #2 seed, but in the same regional as top ranked Duke.
After easily dispatching with 15 seed Lafayette, Miami played 10 seed Purdue in the second round. After an abysmal first half, scoring only 17 points, Miami made a run in the second half before collapsing again and losing 73-63. Purdue shot 58%, with Brian Cardinal scoring 20. Miami shot 33%. Tim James, arguably Miami’s best player up to that point since the program was resurrected in the 1980s, shot 7 of 21 in his last game. Miami shot 1 of 14 from the 3 point line, with the only successful shot coming from center Mario Bland.
Purdue went on to lose by 22 to 6 seeded Temple in the Sweet 16. The 2 teams we played on par with that season did much better, with St. Johns losing in the Elite 8, and UCONN beating overwhelming favorite Duke for the national title. The next season, the Canes surprisingly made the Sweet 16, helping to erase the bad taste from this game a bit.

2. 2002 Round of 64 vs. Missouri
Miami was a #5 seed that year. Despite being sent out West, and playing in Albuquerque, the game still tipped off shortly after noon Eastern time on the opening day of the tournament. In its only tourney game under Perry Clark, and its last game until 2008, Miami went down 12-0 and never recovered. Miami shot 34% and, excluding the play-in game, might have been the very first team eliminated from the tournament that year. Definitely one of the first four.
Missouri was seeded lower than it should have been, and did make a run all the way to the Elite 8 that year, but it had no business manhandling a Miami team that included John Salmons, James Jones, and Darius Rice, amongst others.

3. 2013 Sweet 16 vs. Marquette
After arguably its best season ever, Miami just missed out on a #1 seed and was seeded 2nd in the East Regional, and listed as the #5 team overall by the committee. After easily dispatching 15 seed Pacific in the 1st round, Miami, in an underwhelming performance, survived and advanced against #7 seed Illinois in the 2nd round. A clutch 3 pointer by Rion Brown, and a controversial out of bounds call, which would be reviewable under today’s rules, helped Miami prevail 63-59 in one of the last games of the round of 32 on the first Sunday night of the tournament.
Miami played 3 seed Marquette, who had an improbable comeback against 14 seeded Davidson in the first round, in the Sweet 16. Miami had a horrid first half, in which it only scored 16 points, and trailed by 13. After going down by more than 20 in the second half, Miami finally starting hitting some baskets. Miami lost 71-61, and despite starting to hit a lot of baskets late in the game, still shot only 35% for the game.
Marquette lost by 16 to #4 seed Syracuse in the Elite 8, scoring only 39 points in the process.

4. Other
A vote for Other is a vote for the St. Patrick's Day massacre against Sparty. Thanks for spotting us a 10-0 lead, Sparty.

Last edited:
Advertisement
incredulous.gif

This s dumb poll, but I voted for mizzou. Perry Clark didn't even try that game. We had a very talented team, and with a real coach would done a lot better than 24-8 and a 5 seed and first round exit. John Salmons, James Jones, Darius Rice, etc., **** that team was talented.

Everyone who voted for 2012 realizes Larkin had the flu and a temp of 119.7 and Big Reg was out injured right?

Advertisement
I wasn't a fan of the basketball team til I became a student in 2010, but from your descriptions, the 2002 loss is clearly the worst. Losing in the first round to a huge underdog is worse than losing in the Sweet Sixteen to a 3 seed.

I wasn't a fan of the basketball team til I became a student in 2010, but from your descriptions, the 2002 loss is clearly the worst. Losing in the first round to a huge underdog is worse than losing in the Sweet Sixteen to a 3 seed.

I mean, we got out coached by Quin Synder

I was only 14 when Miami lost to Purdue but I remember that game real well. Purdue was a 10 seed and we got dominated by a team that did not have much talent at all. They ended getting blown out the next game. Another game not mentioned in here which I thought was a brutal loss was when we made the sweet 16 run. It was a surprising run but we played Tulsa in the Sweet 16 game who was a bigger surprised and got dominated. Tough game to swallow.

Everyone who voted for 2012 realizes Larkin had the flu and a temp of 119.7 and Big Reg was out injured right?

This.

Not only that, but we were playing a Buzz Williams team, as in: because he is one of a handful of coaches that are labeled as 'defensive masterminds,' his teams can get away with all sorts of physical contact that isn't ordinarily allowed. See Tony Bennett, Virginia, as well.

I'm not sure what the **** you have to do to earn that special status...maybe take a test, pay for some sort of certification?

Advertisement
I voted...but why do we want to discuss failures in the Tourney while we are anxiously waiting to see where they will play in Sunday's draw?

I was only 14 when Miami lost to Purdue but I remember that game real well. Purdue was a 10 seed and we got dominated by a team that did not have much talent at all. They ended getting blown out the next game. Another game not mentioned in here which I thought was a brutal loss was when we made the sweet 16 run. It was a surprising run but we played Tulsa in the Sweet 16 game who was a bigger surprised and got dominated. Tough game to swallow.

If I remember, Purdue had Brian Cardinal, stiff white guy, and he dominated us. He went on to a 13 year NBA career. While we had been in the NCAAs the year before (11 seed and lost in the first round) Purdue was a 2 seed the year before and got to the Elite 8. They were an 8 seed the year before that and made the 2nd round. They were much more experienced than us. The year that ****es me off is the next year. We played like crap in OOC and then turned it on to win the Big East regular season, but got a 6 seed and made the Sweet 16. We got knocked out by 7 seed Tulsa in a game they dominated. We made one run in the 2nd half to take the lead, but they immediately made a run and won by like 8 or 9. We should have won that game. They ended up losing to a mediocre UNC team coached by Guthridge that was seeded 8th in the Elite 8. We should have walked into the Final Four that year. By the way, we would have played 5th seeded Florida in the Final Four, and it would have been epic.

If I remember, Purdue had Brian Cardinal, stiff white guy, and he dominated us. He went on to a 13 year NBA career. While we had been in the NCAAs the year before (11 seed and lost in the first round) Purdue was a 2 seed the year before and got to the Elite 8. They were an 8 seed the year before that and made the 2nd round. They were much more experienced than us. The year that ****es me off is the next year. We played like crap in OOC and then turned it on to win the Big East regular season, but got a 6 seed and made the Sweet 16. We got knocked out by 7 seed Tulsa in a game they dominated. We made one run in the 2nd half to take the lead, but they immediately made a run and won by like 8 or 9. We should have won that game. They ended up losing to a mediocre UNC team coached by Guthridge that was seeded 8th in the Elite 8. We should have walked into the Final Four that year. By the way, we would have played 5th seeded Florida in the Final Four, and it would have been epic.

Cardinal-Arms-up.jpg

Advertisement

Cardinal-Arms-up.jpg

SO.****.WHITE.

Advertisement
Still remember the dumb look on Hamilton's face against a crap Purdue team. Purdue played slow half court, and Hamilton evidently never suspected he would half to run an offense

I wasn't surprised by the Marquette loss. The 2013 team was running out of gas before the season even ended, and it showed in games like Clemson where we should've lost. How we won the ACCCT is beyond me. Illinois was athletic but the mid season 2013 team would've smoked them.

2013 squad was truly special, but by the time they got to Marquette I expected an L.

He didn't have a temp of 119.7, that's where people die. He was sick as a dog though, it was bad, I know he had a temp of 100.

Thanks, Dr. Canedude08 for your DannyBoy answer. People actually die at a lot lower than 119

I wasn't surprised by the Marquette loss. The 2013 team was running out of gas before the season even ended, and it showed in games like Clemson where we should've lost. How we won the ACCCT is beyond me. Illinois was athletic but the mid season 2013 team would've smoked them.

2013 squad was truly special, but by the time they got to Marquette I expected an L.

We won the ACCT with 2 guards on the roster. I don't care how good your 2 guards are, it's hard to win the ACCT with 2 guards on your roster.

Advertisement
Back