Poll: Worst NCAA Tourney Performance by Miami

What was Miami's worst NCAA tournament performance?

• Total voters
I wasn't surprised by the Marquette loss. The 2013 team was running out of gas before the season even ended, and it showed in games like Clemson where we should've lost. How we won the ACCCT is beyond me. Illinois was athletic but the mid season 2013 team would've smoked them.

2013 squad was truly special, but by the time they got to Marquette I expected an L.

We won the ACCT with 2 guards on the roster. I don't care how good your 2 guards are, it's hard to win the ACCT with 2 guards on your roster.

Thanks, Bishop Daniels

Advertisement
I think Notsince1985 is right on this thread. Mizzou was worse given the talent of the team and given it was a 1st Rd loss. Having said all that, the Purdue loss hurt me more. That was the best UM team ever (until the Larkin team).

The Marquette loss was in the Sweet 16. Doesn't even compare to the other two! Shouldn't even be a voting option.

One note on the Tulsa loss: Tulsa's head coach at the time was Bill Self. He can coach a little bit. Still a tough loss, but not awful.

Interesting to ponder how good we would have been in the late 90s if Lucas Barnes had his head on straight. For those that don't remember, he was from South Miami high and rated ridiculously high coming in as a freshman in 97-98 (our first tournament team under Hamilton). He was averaging around 9 points per game but got arrested for hitting his girlfriend and got kicked off the team half of the way through that season. He went to FIU and was on their team that had Carlos Arroyo and Raja Bell and beat Michigan and Penn State and others but then he stole long distance phone calling cards and was kicked out of FIU.

The stupid, bug eyed, at a loss look on Leonard "MindBrain" Hamilton's face the entire Purdue game reminds me of Radio vs Clemson at home, when he kicked off to CJ Spiller with one second on the clock at half..

LOL! They didnt belong on the court with us. They come out with a ultra slow, half court game, and Hamilton had no idea what was going on. To think, the need to have some kind of half court offense? Never crossed his mind.

The Marquette game, though, was the quintessential "Tap Out" in Canes basketball history. A "No Mas" for the ages, even though they announced it the preceding game, when they tried to throw it to Illinois.

No Perry Clark performance can count. Or Haith. Remember his "Scooter with the DTs, just sitting there, trembling and sweating, bug eyed" coaching against Texas in the second round?

Advertisement
Interesting to ponder how good we would have been in the late 90s if Lucas Barnes had his head on straight. For those that don't remember, he was from South Miami high and rated ridiculously high coming in as a freshman in 97-98 (our first tournament team under Hamilton). He was averaging around 9 points per game but got arrested for hitting his girlfriend and got kicked off the team half of the way through that season. He went to FIU and was on their team that had Carlos Arroyo and Raja Bell and beat Michigan and Penn State and others but then he stole long distance phone calling cards and was kicked out of FIU.

Don't forget we also had Jermaine Walker out of Pompano Beach Ely HS. He had tremendous potential, but just basically quit the team.

Here's an article from 2006 about Barnes and Walker. I couldn't find the original, but it was posted on an FIU board Great-tragic story -former FIU player Lucas Barnes | fiuathleticscom

Don't forget we also had Jermaine Walker out of Pompano Beach Ely HS. He had tremendous potential, but just basically quit the team.

Here's an article from 2006 about Barnes and Walker. I couldn't find the original, but it was posted on an FIU board Great-tragic story -former FIU player Lucas Barnes | fiuathleticscom

Forgot about Walker. There was also Leroy Hurd who was a freshman with James Jones, but transferred to Texas-San Antonio. He averaged 19.4 ppg, 8 reb and 2 ast as senior and shot 39% from 3s as a 6-7 forward. He averaged 4.3 ppg as a FR at Miami and 5.8 as a sophomore before leaving.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back