Spring PODCAST: Water in the Desert ft. D$

View as article
I agree that LB is by far the biggest issue. But the DL has work to do as well. There’s a reason they hired Simpson. Our terrible run defense last year goes beyond just one unit.

That said, I’m a huge Simpson fan and believe there is enough talent in the unit.
Are you more concerned about? dt or de? Do you think Taylor or ishmael immediately elevate their respective position groups? This staff has had a number of productive freshmen defensive ends since 2016 and the fact there wasn’t one last year concerns me.

Advertisement
Especially considering that you HAVE to find a way to get JWill20 on the field with Tae. Only problem is what does Keontra do with Donaldson size guys running at him. He's always seemed like a tweener, not quite the athlete you need at safety but not quite big enough for LB. We desperately need the coaches to get Huff ready because he's the one we need paired with Flagg
Keontra is more than athletic enough to play safety. You must didn’t see his testing numbers in hs. He ran a 4.55 40, 4.20 shuttle time, and had a 36 inch vert.

Speaking for my post, the surprise has nothing to do with his looks. More so his youth. I know he is the goods. I've seen it with my eyes and he has a 4.1 shuttle. Rambo, Harley are the top 2 WRs. Keyshawn flashed big time IMO. Then, Pope and Wiggins came back. I had no prior reason to believe those two would get benched. But if they do get benched I'm all for it. That's why I am still surprised he is up to #4 WR, as stated by D$, 5 practices into spring. They have not even reached double digit padded practices yet.

An uncover-able WR is exactly what Miami needs
I wasn't referring to your post specifically, sorry if you thought I was. I know it seemed that way.

I’ll be honest - I’ve been on the X train since the Monarch days, but even I’m a little surprised at how twitchy he is on a college field. He’s not just quick and competitive, he has a little juice to him as well.
I feel ya.
We've actually had college scouts come to Deerfield and be like "can he REALLY play though, coach?"
Like doubting him off the bat. They had heard about him, but they thought it was a case of "he's good for a white guy" instead of him actually being legitimately elite. Our Head Coach basically told scouts "Listen man, I've had tons of D1 kids come through here, and if he couldn't play I'd tell ya. But that kid is our best football player and he showed up versus everybody."

I don't think people realize what we got with X. This is a kid who would've had a much more impressive offer list if it wasn't for preconceived notions. And that's a fact as I watched it unfold with my own eyes.

And I have no problems writing this check as I'm 100% sure this young man can cash it. I've never been so sure about a kid's ability as I am with X's. His work ethic and level of "dawg" is second to none.

Advertisement
@Coach Macho X just seems like a big time competitor, and very hard worker. Excited about him.

How good is your DT Miami is recruiting?

@DMoney any thoughts of giving Thomas Davis a try at LB? He looked pretty small at DE, and his senior film was pretty impressive at LB.

I would think we would be sorta crazy not to give him a look this spring, just to see with the questions at LB.

Last edited:
None of those four LB was that highly-rated. We lack talent big time at LB.

I'm sorry. I love the breakdown but the last line, is misleading I believe. You say the front 7 is likely the weakness of the team but that doesn't quite add up to me. The situation at LB is extremely concerning and is the true weakness of the defense and the team.

My point is that just because we lost Phillips and Roche to the NFL doesn't mean that the DL will be weak. Sure it may lack that superstar DE for now but to me the DL as a whole is extremely deep and talented. Silvera and JHH at DT will be very good and fun to watch. Behind them we have experienced veterans in Ford and Miller with young talent like Elijah Roberts and Leonard Taylor representing the future. This is not to mention guys like Jalar Holley and Quinten Williams.

At DE we have some explosive young talent in Jahfari Harvey, Chanz Williams and Cameron Williams who all have experience in backup roles. In addition to them we have Deandre Johnson and Zach McCloud who moved over from LB. These 5 will likely receive the bulk of the snaps with true freshmen Jabari Ishmael and Thomas Davis likely redshirting. It should also be pointed out that players such as Quinten Williams, Elijah Roberts and Leonard Taylor have the ability to play DE is certain situations and subpackages.

Now that I got that off my chest I can turn my wrath to the LB position. In the breakdown above it says that it's a lack of talent and development. The thing is that I would hardly characterize a unit with Sam Brooks, Avery Huff, Tirek Austin Cave and Corey Flagg to be lacking in talent. Lacking in depth maybe but talent no. Another thing is how long do Avery Huff and Tirek Austin Cave need to learn the defense? It can't be that complicated. I can't tell you exactly what is going on here but something doesn't add up. I will say that if the Alabama game comes and I see Jennings starting next to Flagg I may destroy the TV. Just move Keontra Smith to Will already! Then move Jalen Harrell to Striker. Here's another idea. Everyone seems to be ranting and raving about Chase Smith and his potential at Striker. I agree with this but why limit him to Striker if he has to ability to be an impact player at LB? Rant over.

Advertisement
Great to hear X is tearing up Greentree field right now. Will push Harley even more so this year. There will be no lazy games with Restrepo on his heels.

not overly concerned with the DL. I think JHH and Nesta will lock down the DT spots, with Ford, Miller, Robert’s, and Taylor combining for a very respectable back up roles. DE we don’t have a standout right now but watch them destroy it with penetration and getting TFL against the run games we’ll face. I think the collective whole will be better than 1 DE dominating at 1 spot. If we can get good to great penetration from the middle of the pocket then Deandre and Jahfari will clean up the edges.

LB concerns me as it does others. Flagg will be nice at MLB but I too would like to see Keontra moved to WILL. Makes too much sense with all the injuries still plus the lack of any game changers at the current position. Why not Davis as backup to Smith? He played the spot and played it well in HS against very solid competition. I know he’s a frosh but at this point talent should see the field.

the backend will be a strong piece to the overall defense. Hopefully with JWill coming in we’ll use him with Tae across the defense in situational scenarios that will present complicated schemes for offenses to deal with. Overall I think between the CB, S, DE, and DL spots that we’ll be able to somewhat mask the deep concerns at LB.

Great to hear X is tearing up Greentree field right now. Will push Harley even more so this year. There will be no lazy games with Restrepo on his heels.

not overly concerned with the DL. I think JHH and Nesta will lock down the DT spots, with Ford, Miller, Robert’s, and Taylor combining for a very respectable back up roles. DE we don’t have a standout right now but watch them destroy it with penetration and getting TFL against the run games we’ll face. I think the collective whole will be better than 1 DE dominating at 1 spot. If we can get good to great penetration from the middle of the pocket then Deandre and Jahfari will clean up the edges.

LB concerns me as it does others. Flagg will be nice at MLB but I too would like to see Keontra moved to WILL. Makes too much sense with all the injuries still plus the lack of any game changers at the current position. Why not Davis as backup to Smith? He played the spot and played it well in HS against very solid competition. I know he’s a frosh but at this point talent should see the field.

the backend will be a strong piece to the overall defense. Hopefully with JWill coming in we’ll use him with Tae across the defense in situational scenarios that will present complicated schemes for offenses to deal with. Overall I think between the CB, S, DE, and DL spots that we’ll be able to somewhat mask the deep concerns at LB.
Hopefully Huff is turning the corner....I think coach Diaz knows all eyes are on can they get this absolute athletic freak on the field. I say all the time that LB is the 2nd most difficult position in football behind QB....you have to be able to THINK & PLAY fast....one without the other and you simply cannot have that player on the field.

Advertisement
Back