PODCAST: Talking offense with Austin Pfenninger

View as article
[MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION] I haven't listened to the full podcast yet, can't wait for the drive home today, so apologies if this was addressed, but how much do you think Malik's limited experience and lack of field vision play in to the offense's struggles, if at all? To my eyes, he seems to throw to the wrong read pretty frequently and definitely does not seem to view the whole field well most of the time.

I certainly don't mean to say that Rosier is not smart, clearly he is very intelligent, but a lot like a RB's instincts and vision are an intangible that can go somewhat overlooked, my take is that Malik's combination of relative lack of experience, almost criminal lack of attention from the prior coaching staff who let him slide without doing film review until he was thrust into action two years ago vs. Duke, and what may be a bit of tunnel vision and difficulty quickly assessing what is happening on the field in front of him... To me, that is a big part of what is limiting this offense.

Just curious as to your thoughts on that if you care to comment.

Thanks again bro, always a great listen and look forward to keeping tabs on your future.

I think it certainly plays a big role. He trusts his legs and does get a bit antsy in the pocket, so I think he isn't going through his whole progression as often as needed. He's ballsy and isn't afraid to try any throws, but with that gunslinger mentality comes incompletions, on top of already not having great accuracy. I think Malik is doing well for whats asked for him, but I don't think he's able to do all of what Coach Richt ideally wants in his offense.

Advertisement
[MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION] I haven't listened to the full podcast yet, can't wait for the drive home today, so apologies if this was addressed, but how much do you think Malik's limited experience and lack of field vision play in to the offense's struggles, if at all? To my eyes, he seems to throw to the wrong read pretty frequently and definitely does not seem to view the whole field well most of the time.

I certainly don't mean to say that Rosier is not smart, clearly he is very intelligent, but a lot like a RB's instincts and vision are an intangible that can go somewhat overlooked, my take is that Malik's combination of relative lack of experience, almost criminal lack of attention from the prior coaching staff who let him slide without doing film review until he was thrust into action two years ago vs. Duke, and what may be a bit of tunnel vision and difficulty quickly assessing what is happening on the field in front of him... To me, that is a big part of what is limiting this offense.

Thanks again bro, always a great listen and look forward to keeping tabs on your future.

I think it certainly plays a big role. He trusts his legs and does get a bit antsy in the pocket, so I think he isn't going through his whole progression as often as needed. He's ballsy and isn't afraid to try any throws, but with that gunslinger mentality comes incompletions, on top of already not having great accuracy. I think Malik is doing well for whats asked for him, but I don't think he's able to do all of what Coach Richt ideally wants in his offense.

This is very telling and illuminating.

Any offense can only be as good as its players and an offensive system will be restricted by whatever limitations that QB has.

But, yet, our genius fans blame Richt and want him to hire a "real" OC.

Execution surely wasn't great but I think Coach Richt might've tuned in and took some suggestions

Advertisement
Back