PODCAST: Scrimmage Report with D$ and Austin Pfenninger

Based on recent past history of D$'s QB evaluations, it's a safe bet to go with N'Kosi Perry as the starter.

Let’s talk about that recent history. Who won the battle when I said Kaaya over Heaps? I was the only media guy on that train.

As for the next battle, I predicted that Perry would beat out Rosier before he got here because Rosier and Shirreffs were so bad. Once Perry got here, he clearly wasn’t mentally ready. We ended up with three sub-par QBs.

You don’t have to take my word for it on Jarren. Most have said the same thing. He looks the most poised and has the most accurate arm. But we won’t know what we really have until the games start.

Advertisement
They were close and Perry has improved. I just prefer Jarren’s decisiveness. Games are different, though, and Jarren is a complete unknown.

One thing to note about Jarren’s near-picks is that they came during the 1-minute drill to win the game. It was all or nothing so he took a few chances.
You can give an evaluation without showing your favoritism. Some of you guys continue trying to divide the fan base with "your guy" statements.

It's a qb competition but how are you pulling for one over the other if you are a true canes fan. The one who enos and manny feels most comfortable in managing the playbook, moving the team down the field and putting points on the board is the logical choice at least for game 1.

Check your biases at the door.

You can give an evaluation without showing your favoritism. Some of you guys continue trying to divide the fan base with "your guy" statements.

It's a qb competition but how are you pulling for one over the other if you are a true canes fan. The one who enos and manny feels most comfortable in managing the playbook, moving the team down the field and putting points on the board is the logical choice at least for game 1.

Check your biases at the door.

There is no bias. Most people at the scrimmage thought Jarren was the best QB. Most people at the Savannah State game thought Jarren was the best QB. Most people at last year’s spring game thought Jarren was the best QB.

Does that mean Jarren actually is the best QB? Of course not. The sample size is tiny and full contact is a whole different animal. But this is a consistent thing that has nothing to do with me.

Let’s talk about that recent history. Who won the battle when I said Kaaya over Heaps? I was the only media guy on that train.

As for the next battle, I predicted that Perry would beat out Rosier before he got here because Rosier and Shirreffs were so bad. Once Perry got here, he clearly wasn’t mentally ready. We ended up with three sub-par QBs.

You don’t have to take my word for it on Jarren. Most have said the same thing. He looks the most poised and has the most accurate arm. But we won’t know what we really have until the games start.

I was intentional with the use of the word recent. Kaaya over Heaps was 2014.

Since then, you've picked Shirreffs and Perry in successive order.

Payton going to be a complete receiver. In his film in highschool Payton had the knack of making the dynamic catches already so you know he has that in his toolbox. He just looks very good at receiver right now imo. Plays much faster than he tested in highschool kind of like Ahmmon Richards who ran a 4.68 at one of those camps in highschool.

Y’all didn’t say much about him in the podcast but I think Kai-Leon Herbert did pretty well too. I think It’s Been a positive spring for him

As far as WRs on Saturday, it was Osborn > Payton then everyone else (JT held out).

Advertisement
They were close and Perry has improved. I just prefer Jarren’s decisiveness. Games are different, though, and Jarren is a complete unknown.

One thing to note about Jarren’s near-picks is that they came during the 1-minute drill to win the game. It was all or nothing so he took a few chances.

And he had at least 3 incompletions credited to him that should have been caught. 2 balls to Michael Irvin and one of the throws to KJ.

Payton going to be a complete receiver. In his film in highschool Payton had the knack of making the dynamic catches already so you know he has that in his toolbox. He just looks very good at receiver right now imo. Plays much faster than he tested in highschool kind of like Ahmmon Richards who ran a 4.68 at one of those camps in highschool.

Y’all didn’t say much about him in the podcast but I think Kai-Leon Herbert did pretty well too. I think It’s Been a positive spring for him
**** AR ran a 4.68? he looked way faster then that I know he was faster then that, thank God for those broken watches

Advertisement
There is no bias. Most people at the scrimmage thought Jarren was the best QB. Most people at the Savannah State game thought Jarren was the best QB. Most people at last year’s spring game thought Jarren was the best QB.

Does that mean Jarren actually is the best QB? Of course not. The sample size is tiny and full contact is a whole different animal. But this is a consistent thing that has nothing to do with me.
So you felt a need to join a side and when "your guy" is not the man, you critic every lil thing about the other guy to validate your displeasure of the coaches choice. You're doing that now b4 a decision is even made, its just going to get worst in the fall.

You're grown, but just look at the big ugly monster you are a part of...division, favoritism, unfair criticism

So you felt a need to join a side and when "your guy" is not the man, you critic every lil thing about the other guy to validate your displeasure of the coaches choice. You're doing that now b4 a decision is even made, its just going to get worst in the fall.

You're grown, but just look at the big ugly monster you are a part of...division, favoritism, unfair criticism

It's not picking sides. People are going to ask, "Which QB looks the best?" Part of my job is to give an opinion based on the scrimmage.

This is just one practice, and I've tried to remind people not to read too much into Greentree QB performance. We will find out who the best QB is during the real games.

I aint getting involved past this because talking about QBs is exhausting but how did most people who saw the Savannah State think Williams was the best QB? He went 1-3 for 17 yards. Were most people actually watching or just projecting?

Advertisement
It's not picking sides. People are going to ask, "Which QB looks the best?" Part of my job is to give an opinion based on the scrimmage.

This is just one practice, and I've tried to remind people not to read too much into Greentree QB performance. We will find out who the best QB is during the real games.
Maybe im just overreacting...its just my passion for these canes

Maybe im just overreacting...its just my passion for these canes
I've seen a lot of these posts lately. You are bias to "your guy" type posts. And then allege a bias along with it. I don't get it. Maybe the climate we're in is making everyone way too sensitive and overly critical. Heres the thing you can be a passionate fan and have an opinion about what you observe as to who you think will make this team the most successful it can be at qb. Doesnt mean they're wrong and you're right or vice versa....its just an observation

If this was Around the Horn, you'd have started in the negative with that opener. Really? That's the first rebuttal?

Advertisement
Richards ran a 4.51 his Sr year, Mullins 4.48 and Bruce 4.53.

All 3 had plenty of speed.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out well for any of them.

**** AR ran a 4.68? he looked way faster then that I know he was faster then that, thank God for those broken watches

You know...I haven't wanted to chime in on this heated topic but at this point I think I have enough to at least draw an opinion

I had no business being at the scrimmage this past weekend because of my line of work and the timing of the whole thing...but one of the long time posters on this site dragged me out there and given how weak and undisciplined I am...I gave in. We scrutinized the **** out of every **** throw they made, and not just the end result, but the decision making process given the route combinations , coverages being played , and whether or not the starting defense was on the field at the time.

All I can say is I'm pretty surprised to see D Money and Lu Cane (both of which I respect and know a lot of football) being so heavily pro-Williams. I came away with the exact OPPOSITE viewpoint.

To me, it wasn't even that close when you take all of the relative factors into account. Perry was a lot better. He had one bad miss in the corner of the end zone that was a poorly thrown ball but even that one wouldn't have hurt us as it wasn't thrown anywhere near the defender either. Perry has the better arm and to me made some throws into tight windows that were quite frankly, quite impressive. His biggest weakness is he still at times holds the ball too long, but I honestly feel like he has the most upside of the 3....both near and long term.

Williams put wayyyyyyyyy too much air on a deep throw he made that I really didn't like. He was late on the throw (a common theme for him throughout several points of the scrimmage) and hung the ball up way too high and allowed the defender to make a play on it. That throw is in addition to the other ones that could have been picked off that have already been mentioned ad nauseum on this board.

As for Tate...I'm not even going to judge him yet as you can tell the game is going 100 miles an hour for him right now. He had classic deer-in-the-headlights syndrome. He's just not ready yet.

I think Perry is the clear leader at this point. People on this board need to be reminded that we had THE worst offensive coordinator in the HISTORY of the program calling the shots last year. Perry should not be judged on that abomination from the depths of Hades. You could have thrown Joe Montana out there last year and given all the other factors....he would failed miserably.

The offense overall showed some things I really liked. The middle of the field will be attacked without a doubt....which we haven't had around here in a LONNNGGGGGG time. I saw ACTUAL SHALLOW CROSSES BEING RUN over the middle of the field. True story, I almost wept when I saw that.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back